Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

What other cars...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I started looking for an A5 or S5 two years ago, I hadn't really thought about looking at other cars until I was serious thinking about getting an S5.

I was cross-shopping the S5 between a 335xi (adds cost and weight over a 335i, but I'd prefer all-wheel drive if available), Cayman (Cayman S is out of my reach for the options I wanted), G37 S Coupe (X provides AWD but lacks sporty suspension) and a Mustang GT500. I even considered a 2007 M6 coupe, which would have been a couple of grand cheaper than the S5 upfront, but would be too danged expensive afterwards.

At the end, I opted for the S5 for its looks, ergonomics and feels more like a GT than any other cars that I looked at, including the used M6.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello all,

My first post but a lurker for few months.

I'm not an A5 owner yet and I'm comparing the 2010 A5 2.0L (manual, sport pkg and no S-Line) with the 328xi(manual) with the M sport package.

To me: looks, performance and comfort (in that order) are quite important. I feel that the BMW isn't as ugly when you do the aerodynamic styling to it. But what I don't like about the BMW is that after paying close to $47,000 (after taxes), you get a car that's very basic on the inside in terms of comfort and styling.

But then again, the A5 doesn't quite handle and drive as the 328xi. And then again(!), the quattro has the xDrive beat in winter conditions.

All in all, it's very, very, very close for me and I'm just frozen trying to make a decision. My purchase is going to be a few months away and by then the 2011 lines will be out.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree that the BMW 3 coupe looks better with the M Sport Package, though it still looks a bit sterile from the side and on the inside.

While the A5/S5 don't have the same handling as the equivalent 3-series coupe (328 and 335 respectively), I am looking for a more laid back coupe, something akin to a Grand Touring. That's just my preference and if I wanted something that handles like a slot car, there's always the 135i (I can forgo AWD in the 135i).

It's a tough decision for sure, but the styling is what sold me on the S5, otherwise I could very well have gone with the 335xi.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by questionlp
I agree that the BMW 3 coupe looks better with the M Sport Package, though it still looks a bit sterile from the side and on the inside.

While the A5/S5 don't have the same handling as the equivalent 3-series coupe (328 and 335 respectively), I am looking for a more laid back coupe, something akin to a Grand Touring. That's just my preference and if I wanted something that handles like a slot car, there's always the 135i (I can forgo AWD in the 135i).

It's a tough decision for sure, but the styling is what sold me on the S5, otherwise I could very well have gone with the 335xi.
Hi,

Actually, I find that the A5 from the side looks too long...like the GRand Touring vehicle you mentioned. It's a beautiful car, no doubt but it doesn't display a "mean" look. Versus the 328xi which has a sleeker look to it from the side when done up with the M package. Take a look at the last picture in this thread where it just seems too big and long:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2783563

I think of the A5 as the beautiful woman to take home to mom while the 3-series done up is like a hot stripper you just wanna......

Another point in the A5's favor is mileage. Yes, yes I know that we're in the category of cars where if you have to think about money, you shouldn't be here but during the time gas prices go up, you WANNA LOVE your CAR! A5 2.0T wins out --- especially for a guy like me coming from a low end car where the power of a 4-cyl 2.0T will still be impressive.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by polishS5
cayman is a very ugly car, i like boxter or carrera
No way man. They are all Porsche pedigree and look similar, and arguably, the Cayman is the better driver's car.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ashraina
Hi,

Actually, I find that the A5 from the side looks too long...like the GRand Touring vehicle you mentioned. It's a beautiful car, no doubt but it doesn't display a "mean" look. Versus the 328xi which has a sleeker look to it from the side when done up with the M package. Take a look at the last picture in this thread where it just seems too big and long:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2783563
Even though the A5 is only 0.3" longer overall than the 328xi, the slightly shorter wheelbase (108.3" and 108.7" respectively) and the styling seems to make the A5 look big and long.

The Audi definitely has an Italian, sensual look and feel, while the 3 series with the M Sports Package (or even the 135i or M3) has a look that makes it want to eat up the track. Personal preference, I prefer the former a bit more. Now, if one were to compare the RS5 versus the M3 coupes, the RS5 definitely has the right balance.

I think of the A5 as the beautiful woman to take home to mom while the 3-series done up is like a hot stripper you just wanna......
Ha! I've never heard someone put it that way, but that's spot on.

Another point in the A5's favor is mileage. Yes, yes I know that we're in the category of cars where if you have to think about money, you shouldn't be here but during the time gas prices go up, you WANNA LOVE your CAR! A5 2.0T wins out --- especially for a guy like me coming from a low end car where the power of a 4-cyl 2.0T will still be impressive.
Comparing the 3.0 engine that my A4 has with the new 2.0TFSI engine in both the A4 and A5, I have to give the nod to the 2.0TFSI. 254 lb/ft of torque at 1500 RPM is great and it keeps giving while you accelerate. And yes, it does get pretty good mileage, so long as you don't stay on the loud pedal all of the time (I got around 14 MPG in an A4 2.0TFSI while driving pretty aggressively).
Old 05-30-2010, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by polishS5
cayman is a very ugly car, i like boxter or carrera
To me, the Cayman looks a lot better than the Boxster. The problem I have with the boxster is the extra bulge right behind the headrests with the top down. The Cayman looks sleeker than the Boxster (top up or down). I guess I have the same issue with the Carrera cabriolet as well.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by questionlp
Even though the A5 is only 0.3" longer overall than the 328xi, the slightly shorter wheelbase (108.3" and 108.7" respectively) and the styling seems to make the A5 look big and long.
It's basically the hood...it doesn't seem to slope down and the front of the car has a wide stance. The BMW keeps it narrow and low (the hood). Check this side profile of a BMW coupe vs the A5:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle..._3coupe_01.jpg

See what i mean? The BMW seems to have a smaller footprint, more aggressive look. That's appealing.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's basically the hood...it doesn't seem to slope down and the front of the car has a wide stance. The BMW keeps it narrow and low (the hood). Check this side profile of a BMW coupe vs the A5:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle..._3coupe_01.jpg

See what i mean? The BMW seems to have a smaller footprint, more aggressive look. That's appealing.
I can see that now, more sleek and tapered. It definitely fits in with the rest of the 3's look and stance of a sportier coupe. It also makes the M3 coupe look better than the sedan in my opinion.

I guess it comes down to liking an edgier, sports coupe or a refined, curvy Grand Touring coupe. For me, I slightly prefer the latter more, but that shouldn't change what other people like.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Audis appeal aesthetically to me more than any other car brand and the A5 family is really my favorite (big coupe fan). However the mercedes cls with 4 doors won it in the end, because of the ease of putting in a child seat at the back and then i went all out and got an AMG. however when it runs out of warranty in 2 yrs, i might seriously consider an A5 variant again.

Quick Reply: What other cars...