Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

What was this salesman trying to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What was this salesman trying to do?

I thought I was prepared going to the dealer last weekend, but I walked out without a deal.

1) When I asked the salesman to add the Audi corporate rebate, he said there is no such thing, and he kept on asking me how much do I want to pay. I asked him to check with his colleagues about the rebate, he said, again, there is no such thing. What are you talking about? Again, tell me how much you wanted me to pay.

2) I asked him I want Audicare to be added, and he said what's an Audicare? (this old guy is kinda new) I feel disrespected that an senior manager provided a representative who is not familiar with Audi's offerings.

3) I asked him do you have the car in the lot right now? He said when you're committed to the deal, we will have the car for you. I was like wtf? Why would I pay a price for something that I have no idea when I will get it.

4) The fees came out to be $995. I asked him to explain me those fees. He said they're standard, and there is no need to explain.

5) Out of nowhere, he started writing an invoice. I said what are you doing? He said, I will need your credit card after filling out this invoice. I was like wtf.

6) Afterall, I told him how about $45k. He said sure, if you're ready to sign this deal, then it's $45k. It's premium plus, white metallic, navi system, keyless, and suspension package. I felt very uncomfortable, and this salesman was very sketchy.

I got fed up and went to the senior manager to complain about his attitude and not knowing what he's supposed to know. Anyway, what do you guys think about this? Did I do anything wrong? I did all the preliminary research here and on truecar.com before going to the dealer.

I had a test drive on the 2.0 quattro that day too, and the 2.0 just doesn't have the juice that I want. I owned a Lexus IS350 in the past, and it's a difference experience going from a V6 310hp to a 4 cylinders 211. I'm considering the S5 now
Old 12-14-2012, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest mistake is not knowing exactly what you want.

"the 2.0 just doesn't have the juice that I want. I owned a Lexus IS350 in the past, and it's a different experience going from a V6 310hp to a 4 cylinders 211. I'm considering the S5 now"

Test drive and know exactly what you want before wasting time negotiating.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

From 1974-1994 I owned a new car dealership so what I can tell you is from experience. Most salespeople today ( not all) have no idea on how to handle a customer that just walks in a says " this is what I want to pay" . More than likely you ruffled his feathers. Someone of the dealerships mostly American use what is called the 4 square system.
Basically you go from one thing to another question to get to the final close. It's a series of questions designed to get a deal. This is good for new salespeople.
If this person worked for me he would be fired on the spot. Sometimes two people just clash, there is nothing wrong with a salesperson if he TO's you to someone else to help close the deal. He should have said " I am new but will get the answers to your questions" That works both's ways. Remember at the end of the day you could care less about the salesperson and wether or not you hurt his feelings, get the best deal you can while be polite. If he won't help you there are plenty that will.
Also I never heard of a salesperson asking for a credit card, most dealers won't even take one for a sale of a car. Deposit sure but not if you had been there.

Excuse the typo's it's 5am and I am to tired to proof.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OP, prior to negotiating, first know what vehicle is best for you. Ask to test-drive the A4/A5 or S4/S5. The 2.0T is a good engine but not in the same performance league as a IS350. Being a former owner as well, if that is still important to you, strongly consider the S4 or S5.

Once you know the vehicle, research, research and finally, well, research to know the invoice, market value and current incentives. Go in knowing the vehicle, configuration and price that you are willing to pay. If you don't get the deal from that dealership, move on to another. Be fair and realistic but take any emotion out of the process. Be professional but show that you know the process.

A CA is working for the dealership. Their job is to make money. Stating the obvious, yes. Except for a limited volume vehicle like a RS5, S6 or S8 the deals should be there for an Audi.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK, I'll bite - what "corporate rebate" are you referring to?

As for the "tell me what you're willing to pay ploy" - I've bought many cars over the years and only once did a salesman try that game with me - and I ended up walking out. This was at a BMW dealership in the mid-80's. I went in with all the details for the new car listed out, and asked how much, and he said "make me an offer." So I did, about 10% below sticker(which for this car I knew was low ball, but you gotta start somewhere). He said no, and asked how much more I was willing to pay. I said it's now his turn to make an offer, not mine, and he refused - he just sat there waiting for me to raise my offer. So I left. Ended up buying the car from a different dealership at about 5% below list.

As for writing out the invoice before details are finalized - that's silly, and probably a ploy he learned at another dealership that will cause some people to feel committed to the process and emotionally want to reach agreement and open up their wallets. Just ignore it.

The funniest experience I had was buying a Ford Explorer in the mid-90s. At the time I wasn't sure whether I wanted an SUV (which were still relatively new to the market) or a station wagon (remember those?), so I approached a saleswoman to help explain features and benefits of both. Her first question to me was - "what color do you want?" Yes, she thought color availability would be the most important factor in chossing between models - yeesh!

Last edited by ChipB; 12-14-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OP, is the "corporate rebate" the supplier purchase program? Or loyalty rebate? Just some advice: don't mention those rebates or trade in until you negotiate a price. There were some good advice prior to my post, so what I'd add is since you're willing to spend the time/effort to negotiate, shoot out an email to all the Audi dealerships in your area (specifically their internet sales managers) stating exactly what you want (it'll most likely be a special order for an S5, so 3 mos wait). Also, they should breakdown any fees if you ask (which you should). $500-$750 over invoice (plus <$100 doc fees, and hopefully no ad/prep/port fees) seems to be a good target. Once you get a commitment on what the dealer is comfortable making as profit, then mention any of the rebates you have. That way, the dealer gets what they wanted and you get add'l discounts. Also, do a search on the forums for the dealerships near you bc members will post positive/negative feedback on specific dealers. Lastly, I heard (unconfirmed though) that if you give a very positive rating after the sale via a survey, that the dealer gets a bonus from Audi of America. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hard to put this nicely, but you and the salesman seem like a match based on your post.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi there. Thanks for your response. I probably screwed up on the name of the rebate, and yes, I was referring to the loyalty rebate. In addition, I asked the salespeson about the rebate after he finished drafting an invoice.

Originally Posted by aggiealum
OP, is the "corporate rebate" the supplier purchase program? Or loyalty rebate? Just some advice: don't mention those rebates or trade in until you negotiate a price. There were some good advice prior to my post, so what I'd add is since you're willing to spend the time/effort to negotiate, shoot out an email to all the Audi dealerships in your area (specifically their internet sales managers) stating exactly what you want (it'll most likely be a special order for an S5, so 3 mos wait). Also, they should breakdown any fees if you ask (which you should). $500-$750 over invoice (plus <$100 doc fees, and hopefully no ad/prep/port fees) seems to be a good target. Once you get a commitment on what the dealer is comfortable making as profit, then mention any of the rebates you have. That way, the dealer gets what they wanted and you get add'l discounts. Also, do a search on the forums for the dealerships near you bc members will post positive/negative feedback on specific dealers. Lastly, I heard (unconfirmed though) that if you give a very positive rating after the sale via a survey, that the dealer gets a bonus from Audi of America. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Test drive the S4 or S5 or model xx, decide if this is what you want, come up with what you are willing to pay and write your list of questions. If you have questions you are uncertain, this forum is a great start for answers.

Next, go back to the dealer (or another dealer) and look for another sales person and start over. Just be more prepared to negotiate your best price and then bring up other discounts including any trade-in.

BTW, if you test drove the 2.0 and felt it "lack juice", why did you even engage the sales guy and sound like you are willing to make a deal?? At the same time, the sales guy did not approach the opportunity in a professional way too.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think there is the Loyalty rebate that awards current or previous owners for purchasing/leasing anther Audi and there is also the Corporate supplier's discount. The supplier's discount is when the company you work for is somehow linked to Audi as a supplier or technical partner etc.

Quick Reply: What was this salesman trying to do?