Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

What Should I Do Now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both, my seat vibrates as well.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Khanna,

For what it's worth, I had a similar experience, albiet with a better, less costly result. I actualy have a 2009 3.2 A4, bought back in March 2009, and I too had the same vibrations from day. After many trips to the dealer and rebalancing of tires, rotating the tires, road force balancing the tires, etc., the dealer finally agreed to order the new control arms. But first, I would have to pay around $600 to fix two supposedly bent rims. Sound familiar?

Yeah, well, I called Audi of America (AOA) and very politely explained all of the trips I made to the dealer in good faith in hopes of them fixing a vibration that existed from day one. I respectfully requested that they fix or replace the bent rims at no charge as the rims must have been bent from day one since I had the vibrations from day one and I never hit a curb or recall hitting a pothole and never had an accident and I really just want my luxury branded car to ride vibration free.

AOA then contacted the dealer who called me within three days to tell that they would have the rims fixed at no charge by on one of their local guys and that they would be ordering the control arms for me right away. They fixed the rims at no charge, gave me back my car and I then waited a few weeks for the control arms to come in. Of course, even with the "bent" rims fixed, there was no change in the vibrations, but I didn't really expect there to be any change.

Anyway, once the new control arms did come in, I brought my car back in, got a free loaner for two days, and the new control arms were installed and the vibrations were 90% gone. While the vibrations were diminished for sure, they were still present somewhat and it really really bothered me.

I subsequently called AOA again and politely explained that I was still unsatisfied with the ride at highway speeds and that the tech at the Audi dealer thought that maybe I had one or more "bad" tires (OEM Pirelli P6's). After about a week, to my surprise, the dealer called and said AOA agreed to give me four new P6's. Fast forward to Feb 24th, I picked up my A4 with the new P6's and the highway vibrations are completely gone.

If interested, see my recent post in the A4 forum for more details https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...3926644&page=3

Bottom line, DO NOT GIVE UP. Keep calling AOA, politely state your case. Ask to speak to a manager at AOA if you are not getting the response you feel is needed. Rember, AOA's customer care representatives are their to "hear you side of the story" and tehy want to made you a happy customer. I do believe that, I really do. You do actually have to tell them what you would like them to do to make you a satified customer though. That is, if you don't ask for them to fix the rims at no charge, they are certainly not going to volunteer it. To me, AOA was quite responsive and ultimately fixed my rims for free and gave me four new tires, all of which was very unexpected.

Again, I was polite, calm, and did not yell at them. I did mention several times that the reason I got an Audi was because of their reputation for high customer service supporting their luxury brand. Do NOT give up. The vibrations pi$$ed me off every time I drove my car. And now they are gone. And driving my car is a joy You should not have to pay for something that came defective with your car from day one. Keep at it. Good luck.

Sorry for the super long post.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CPS2010
Khanna,

For what it's worth, I had a similar experience, albiet with a better, less costly result. I actualy have a 2009 3.2 A4, bought back in March 2009, and I too had the same vibrations from day. After many trips to the dealer and rebalancing of tires, rotating the tires, road force balancing the tires, etc., the dealer finally agreed to order the new control arms. But first, I would have to pay around $600 to fix two supposedly bent rims. Sound familiar?

Yeah, well, I called Audi of America (AOA) and very politely explained all of the trips I made to the dealer in good faith in hopes of them fixing a vibration that existed from day one. I respectfully requested that they fix or replace the bent rims at no charge as the rims must have been bent from day one since I had the vibrations from day one and I never hit a curb or recall hitting a pothole and never had an accident and I really just want my luxury branded car to ride vibration free.

AOA then contacted the dealer who called me within three days to tell that they would have the rims fixed at no charge by on one of their local guys and that they would be ordering the control arms for me right away. They fixed the rims at no charge, gave me back my car and I then waited a few weeks for the control arms to come in. Of course, even with the "bent" rims fixed, there was no change in the vibrations, but I didn't really expect there to be any change.

Anyway, once the new control arms did come in, I brought my car back in, got a free loaner for two days, and the new control arms were installed and the vibrations were 90% gone. While the vibrations were diminished for sure, they were still present somewhat and it really really bothered me.

I subsequently called AOA again and politely explained that I was still unsatisfied with the ride at highway speeds and that the tech at the Audi dealer thought that maybe I had one or more "bad" tires (OEM Pirelli P6's). After about a week, to my surprise, the dealer called and said AOA agreed to give me four new P6's. Fast forward to Feb 24th, I picked up my A4 with the new P6's and the highway vibrations are completely gone.

If interested, see my recent post in the A4 forum for more details https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...3926644&page=3

Bottom line, DO NOT GIVE UP. Keep calling AOA, politely state your case. Ask to speak to a manager at AOA if you are not getting the response you feel is needed. Rember, AOA's customer care representatives are their to "hear you side of the story" and tehy want to made you a happy customer. I do believe that, I really do. You do actually have to tell them what you would like them to do to make you a satified customer though. That is, if you don't ask for them to fix the rims at no charge, they are certainly not going to volunteer it. To me, AOA was quite responsive and ultimately fixed my rims for free and gave me four new tires, all of which was very unexpected.

Again, I was polite, calm, and did not yell at them. I did mention several times that the reason I got an Audi was because of their reputation for high customer service supporting their luxury brand. Do NOT give up. The vibrations pi$$ed me off every time I drove my car. And now they are gone. And driving my car is a joy You should not have to pay for something that came defective with your car from day one. Keep at it. Good luck.

Sorry for the super long post.

Audi called me back today, told me that there was nothing they could do and everything that can be done is up to the dealer.

... I'm so frustrated right now..
Old 02-25-2010, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what I would do:

- Go to a a reputable tire store and ask them to see if your rims are bent. If they are not, ask for a written statement to provide to your dealer.
- If the rims are bent, I would guess you would want to either replace them (I sent you a link for a set of Y's on AW classifieds for $1k - you can sell the other two) or have them professional straightened (depends on how badly they are bent).
- One you have the rims in order, have your dealer do the road force balance.
- If the vibration is still present, then they will move to replace your control arms.
I am sorry to hear how you are being treated; you shouldn't have to deal with this BS, but once the problem is cured you will really enjoy your car!!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This is all very interesting to me. I've had my 2010 S5 since December 26. I only had the stock tires on for a week before putting used snows on the stock rims. I have quite a vibration from 60-75ish. Not so much in the steering wheel as the whole car/seat. Happens most of the time, but not all the time. I'm reluctant to bring it to the dealer because they will just tell me it's the snow tires. Going to wait until I get the stock tires back on before addressing the issue.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

In case it helps anyone - my vibe was solved with a tire replacement and rebalancing. Seems like if you have a vibe in the steering wheel your issue is more likely tire/wheel balancing - but if you have the vibe in the seat/chassis then the control arms are likely the cause. Seems like quite a few of them have needed both jobs done...
Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for the responses.

Audi will get back to me within two business days, they will try to negotiate an agreement with my local dealer.

I suggested the bent rim to my SA and he told me that even if I fix the rim at an aftermarket shop and bring it in, and it fails the roadforce balance, then I will have to replace both rims under Audi Sales.

I don't want to spend 500$ to fix two rims if audi will just throw them in my face later. The other angle on this matter might be the SA just trying to play with my head...
Old 02-25-2010, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Khanna,

Glad to hear you called AOA again. Hopefully they will come back with some good news. Please let us know what they have to say. Best of luck.

CPS2010
Old 04-21-2010, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CPS2010
Khanna,

Glad to hear you called AOA again. Hopefully they will come back with some good news. Please let us know what they have to say. Best of luck.

CPS2010
Wow sorry to hear that you're having so much problems. I have been thinking about lowering my 09 Audi A5 3.2 with HR OE Sports and called the dealer to see what part of my warranty would be voided and they said the suspension including the control arm. Hearing all these problems with the control arm has given me second thoughts. Should I still lower my car?