Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

What's resale after 3 months, 2600 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's resale after 3 months, 2600 miles?

Lost job in midwest just 2 weeks after taking delivery and currently have an offer to join a firm based in Manhattan (home for me for 10 years until 18 months ago). Not sure if we'll get a place in Manhattan or in the burbs if this comes to pass... but if the former then the S5 will go as would keep the more practical SUV in NYC if any (owning a car in NYC is expensive and a huge hassle).

Assuming cost including all taxes was $60,000, what would the current resale be given still reasonably long (but shortening) lead time?

Phantom, black with black alcantara, drive select, B&O, no tech or nav.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ouch! Sorry to hear about the job situation. It's a bad time to be selling an expensive nearly

new car. People who can afford nearly new, most likely will wait for a new one or expect a substantial discount. The pool of people who can even swing the purchase will be smaller though.

I'm guessing you'll end up around invoice cost ($52K with your equipment) if you do have to sell it. Better than other cars that lose 20 to 30% of value the moment they drive off the lot. Of course you can ask for any number you wish, and I suggest starting a bit higher.

Best to advertise in the impulse markets like NY, LA, maybe Chicago, etc. There is still spare cash there. Take lots of pretty pics with good light and angles. A great ad does wonders for a quick sale at a good price.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Ouch! Sorry to hear about the job situation. It's a bad time to be selling an expensive nearly

but then again the wait for an S5 is very long
if this only has 2600 miles i think he should get closer to what he paid than 52
i bought my A5 for 48.5
sold it for 45.9 after 5 months
and that's the A5 that has a 3-6 moth wait
the S5 has close to a year
Old 10-19-2008, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I bet you could get mid $50K with any luck. If you can, take your time selling on

Cars.com and Autotrader.com. Black is a great color and ADS a nice feature. Someone out there may just go for it.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Depends on inventory and demand in that region this time of year. Impossible to say.

One way to gauge the market would be to put out a feeler sale on some of the larger online venues such as cars.com or autotrader.com. Ask the highest number on the scale and see what happens.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default MSRP is mid $50k for a car with that equipment. Are used examples really selling for that?

In which case are new examples selling for more than MSRP on average?

I see autotrader has 170 S5s available nationally both at private party and dealer - used and new. The lowest asking price is $49K. The majority seem to be starting in the mid to upper $50K range - but at dealers, so you know they are going to ask high and see if they can get it. No reflection of the actual selling price.

I wish him luck and think he should start by asking high, but given the market conditions, it may not happen.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good luck on the new job, and it's good that you have one in these market conditions.

Why don't you just look for an apartment in NYC which has its own garage, and then try to sell it there if you really can't bear to drive it in the city. Won't prices be higher there for a almost new S5 than in the mid-west?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i don't think starting at the highest number is a good idea these days....

if you really need to sell the car, a high asking price will just turn off a bunch of people who might not bother with someone who doesn't seem to be a 'real' seller. i think you are better served figuring out where the car should trade right now (my guess is invoice at best) and asking close to that number. that way, anyone who is really looking will at least contact you rather than just passing you by. gl with the sale and the job!!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thx for input guys..

There's still a decent chance I keep it, would hate to part. Sometimes you need to make a choice though - we have three cars including ther other halfs and one would be enough in any big city assuming one or both were using public transport.

Despite the 10 month engagement and the potential for a shortened marriage with the S5, it's been fun. Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.....
Old 10-20-2008, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I hope so but used car prices are down hard. Used A8s that are three years old

are going in the $35K range. Ouch! These were $75K cars back in 2005/06.

Car dealers are like the Maytag repair man, bored and worried.

Quick Reply: What's resale after 3 months, 2600 miles?