Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Wheel-Tire Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel-Tire Insurance?

Ok, when I picked up my car I was offered Wheel-Tire Insurance to in case of rim damage, etc.

Question is - is it worth it and what is a reasonable price for it? I have till the end of this week to let the dealer know if I want it. So what are the opinions with this?
Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toysoldier
Ok, when I picked up my car I was offered Wheel-Tire Insurance to in case of rim damage, etc.

Question is - is it worth it and what is a reasonable price for it? I have till the end of this week to let the dealer know if I want it. So what are the opinions with this?
I paid $500 for the insurance and have found it well worth it.

I have 19" wheels, and due to all the potholes here in NJ, I have had 2 blowouts and replaced 2 rims with the wheel/tire insurance. So my $500 expense has covered about $1400 in costs.

In the ned it's up to you, but keep in mind tires for the 19" wheels cost $250-300. If you drive a lot and you'll keep the car for several years, it may well be worth it.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without question, especially since my wife views curbs as parking assists rather than something to avoid. $800 for 5 years of coverage is a bargain. She regularly takes turns like a NASCAR driver and blows through low profile sidewalls more often than you can imagine.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was told by the tire and wheel "insurance" people, that my curb rash on my A4 would not be covered. They said they'll only replace a rim if it can no longer function or hold air, that is not my opinion, that is what they told me over the phone when I curbed my A4 at Dairy Queen the first week I had it. Audi was still giving out full size spares so I just had it switched out, no big whoop.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jeremiah_S
I was told by the tire and wheel "insurance" people, that my curb rash on my A4 would not be covered. They said they'll only replace a rim if it can no longer function or hold air, that is not my opinion, that is what they told me over the phone when I curbed my A4 at Dairy Queen the first week I had it. Audi was still giving out full size spares so I just had it switched out, no big whoop.
So you don't deal directly with Audi for this? My dealer said that curb rash is covered. You got me thinking this may not be worth it as curb rash is more probable than bent/cracked rims.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

LOL (sic). Mine too!!

Originally Posted by Rick Pardo
Without question, especially since my wife views curbs as parking assists rather than something to avoid. $800 for 5 years of coverage is a bargain. She regularly takes turns like a NASCAR driver and blows through low profile sidewalls more often than you can imagine.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was offered it for around $800. I declined. I damaged a rim once (hit a brick laying on the highway) on my previous car and it was repaired for $200. I may regret it but I thought $800 was kinda high.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you don't deal directly with Audi for this? My dealer said that curb rash is covered. You got me thinking this may not be worth it as curb rash is more probable than bent/cracked rims.
You should ask to see a copy of the actual insurance policy and read it carefully before purchasing.

My policy covers cosmetic damage caused by road hazards such as potholes, but not curb rash from curbing a wheel. I suspect most other policies would be the same.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Absoloutely !

The insurance available from Audi was available 2 ways when it was offered to me....one for just Tire and Rims that are damaged, and if you want the coverage for curb rash, you needed the full package that also covers lost key fobs, damage to the leather seats, door dings and windshield chips, not cracks. The basic tire and rim coverage ( total loss of tire and or rim ) costs about $850.00 in Canada, and the entire enchilada is about $1600. Both will pay you back unless you keep your car in a glass room like the father of the guy from Ferris Buellers day off.
My car is 1 month old, and I just scraped 1 rim and tire in a pothole. The 19" Tire sell price at the dealer was close to $400 and I am sure the rim is at least $750.
Well worth the purchase especially when it nails you. Also as an FYI, you have at least 120 days to buy it after purchase of the car, or possibly up to the end of the first year. Check with your dealer.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, after much debate and a quick scare with a pot hole yesterday that could have swallowed the car...man did I feel that! I got the 4yr plan for 8 bills.

In the future, if rash isn't actually covered, I'm sure I can pay yesterdays pot hole another visit and make sure I get a new rim & tire...lol. Thx for the input guys!

Quick Reply: Wheel-Tire Insurance?