Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Wheel-Tire Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toysoldier
Ok, after much debate and a quick scare with a pot hole yesterday that could have swallowed the car...man did I feel that! I got the 4yr plan for 8 bills.

In the future, if rash isn't actually covered, I'm sure I can pay yesterdays pot hole another visit and make sure I get a new rim & tire...lol. Thx for the input guys!
congratulations on a truly smart choice. No one can miss every pothole in North America, especially in the northeast.

Question ? did your dealer still tell you that you only had the week to purchase it ? If you call Audi, I am sure they would have told you that the time frame was considerably longer to choose to buy it. Same goes for an extended warranty.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Davidrf59
congratulations on a truly smart choice. No one can miss every pothole in North America, especially in the northeast.

Question ? did your dealer still tell you that you only had the week to purchase it ? If you call Audi, I am sure they would have told you that the time frame was considerably longer to choose to buy it. Same goes for an extended warranty.
Thanks. and Yes my dealer told me I had one week to decide. I did take a few days longer than that but I didn't know he was BS'ing about the time frame.

As for the extended warranty he did say I had time to decide about that. So, I'm just waiting for the finance dust to settle. Once that happens (so, next month) I'm gonna get it. My only comment about the Xtd Warranty is that there are surprisingly too many to choose from. Need to figure out which one is the smart buy.

Last edited by Toysoldier; 04-03-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Reputable 3rd party?

While driving on a main road, I hit what I thought was a terrible pothole even though I didn't see anything coming. Anyway, turned out there must have been a piece of rebar sticking out of the road because my tire AND WHEEL were punctured. Insurance covered it, but I'd like to get wheel protection. Are there reputable 3rd party policies available?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by topdowns5
While driving on a main road, I hit what I thought was a terrible pothole even though I didn't see anything coming. Anyway, turned out there must have been a piece of rebar sticking out of the road because my tire AND WHEEL were punctured. Insurance covered it, but I'd like to get wheel protection. Are there reputable 3rd party policies available?
When I was offered the policy from the dealer at the time of purchase I was pleasantly surprised, as I have never seen this type of insurance offered by anyone else. I have owned a Range Rover, A Benz,BMW, Infiniti,Volvo and a few other brands, and was shocked it was offered at all, especially here in Quebec which has the worst potholes on the planet, due to the extremes in temperature and the tons of salting they do on the roads.

I woyld ask the dealer if it can still be purchased, as my dealer mentioned that most of the extra insurance policies they sold from Audi and secondary providers was always available, albeit on a sliding scale dependant on the age of the vehicle.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, so I was a bit impatent and I got the insurance...wanted to be covered. That said, I recieved the paperwork today and final cost. Dealer told me it would be $800. Bill showed up in the mail with a cost of $800 + $45 for "Document Fee" which negates the little bit he said he cut off the original $850 price.

Question is - Is this document fee for real or is it BS? I never saw a document fee for insuance before (especially that steep of a cost). Car purchase - yes. Insurance - no. At this point I feel like telling him to credit me back everything and I'll go to another dealer. Comments?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Definitely get this insurance, somewhere

I live in Boston. In ONE winter season I blew multiple rims and tires on potholes here. Total cost? Almost 3K! We've replaced 2 wheels now using the insurance. No hassles, just covered. Best decision I ever made.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, so I was a bit impatent and I got the insurance...wanted to be covered. That said, I recieved the paperwork today and final cost. Dealer told me it would be $800. Bill showed up in the mail with a cost of $800 + $45 for "Document Fee" which negates the little bit he said he cut off the original $850 price.

Question is - Is this document fee for real or is it BS? I never saw a document fee for insuance before (especially that steep of a cost). Car purchase - yes. Insurance - no. At this point I feel like telling him to credit me back everything and I'll go to another dealer. Comments?

Sounds like BS to me....I didnt pay any document fee ! sounds like your dealer is a bit of hose monster !!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

That should do it for the snow this season. Potholes have calmed down as well, so.... summer 19" sport pkg rims [re-]installed.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought of this thread as I had ANOTHER tire die today from a deep pothole.

Thankfully I'm still covered by my wheel/tire insurance, as I would have been out another $300. With the warranty and the dealer taking care of mounting and balancing I won't have to pay anything.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, after much debate and a quick scare with a pot hole yesterday that could have swallowed the car...man did I feel that! I got the 4yr plan for 8 bills.

In the future, if rash isn't actually covered, I'm sure I can pay yesterdays pot hole another visit and make sure I get a new rim & tire...lol. Thx for the input guys!
You can actually get road-rash and other cosmetic damage to the rim fixed pretty inexpensively ($75 per rim here locally), and that's why I too am sort of on the fence about the tire/wheel coverage. Reviewing the policy, Audi will replace the rim if they find that it is damaged to the point that the seal allows air to escape from the tire. I would imagine that kind of damage is pretty rare.

However, my wife managed to get 3 nails in one of our front tires and one week later get a nail in the other front tire. According to the dealer - depending on the amount of wear, typically both the left and right tires have to be replaced if one is damaged to prevent damaging the Quattro drive system. That in itself would basically pay for the tire/wheel coverage policy.

Email from my dealer detailing the coverage:

I recommend this coverage’s for your new Audi.

Road Hazard Wheel and Tire Protection: This a very popular option for Audi and Porsche clients due to the cost associated with replacing low profile tires and repairing wheels. This policy gives you tire replacement, and also wheels damaged by road hazards. Covers damage caused by screws, nails, potholes, metal plates and covers bubbled sidewalls and bent or cracked wheels for unlimited miles. Tires are replaced, not repaired. It also covers dual tire replacement often required, since a new tire can not be put on against an opposing worn tire as this would damage the drive train. There is no deductible and no co-pay. ($695 for 3 years / $845 for 4 years.) Just one tire on an Audi is $350+ and a wheel is $750+.

Quick Reply: Wheel-Tire Insurance?