Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Why is a loaded new A5 more than a loaded BMW 335i coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default because of market demand

that's different then who's better built

resale value is determined by the market, not who builds a better car.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default S cars and RS cars do equate to better resale value.

I already posted once on here, but the S and RS's hold high residual value, and S4 was on edmunds top 10 list for '05 or '06, why is that because, S-cars and RS-cars already have a premium that many aren't going to pay for Audi, or weren't, in the past, but people who know their cars will, so the typical buyer for an S or RS keeps the price of these cars higher, than a typical A car, these are buyers who are well aware of what they are purchasing. So, to answer your question, S and RS cars hold their value quite well.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i agree

that's why I was saying it has it's pockets of places that are shallow, but it's not all like that. I had a great time in Long Beach, it was nothing like the hollywood world. But, I find that the people I know who've wanted to move out their are exactly the type of people you are talking about, and yes very much so, the East Coasters who are living up to the perceived LA standard.

You should know, being as you grew up in NY, because you can't fake success in NY, #1 it's too expensive, #2 people on the east coast have "real" money especially old world money. #3 Even if you do, for the most part, no one cares, trying to impress that women with your paltry 6 figure salary means nothing because, she's probably making just as much as you, she's not the typical starry eyed waitress. Don't get me wrong it's got it's fair share of gold diggers, but I think NY women have a different level of sophistication and worldliness.

But, back, to your point, I agree it's only that small pocket of LA, that lives up to the hollywood lure, that is like that. Nevertheless, you can definitely feel it's presence.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Status matters in so cal

0-60 in around 5 seconds is hardly an anemic engine. Also if you are worried about status, then that anemic cayman will get you more tail than any BMW would.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default JD Power Quality Ratings for cars

Since you asked and are anti-BMW

here is the site for JD Powers:

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability/entry-premium-car

I like both cars- so sad that people have to get so bent out of shape too easily. The BMW beat Audi in all studies for quality on JD Powers. I like both models. If Audi priced the car competitively like other makes such as same price as an Infiniti, I would buy one.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default really? not based on my ownership of BMW

My BMW has been very reliable and easy to maintain.

I have heard stories of Audi/VW/Porsche reliability and quality. Once Audi and VW improve reliability than I will buy one.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default S4 versus M3 used values

I see major drop in a used S4 versus M3.

At Miramar Audi they are selling a 2004 Audi S4 for 27k. A similar used BMW M3 sells for over 40k. Big difference in resale value. Which is ok because I can pickup a used S5 soon for dirt cheap. BMW is more expensive on used car market than Audi.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Depends whether you want luxury or raw performance

You are so funny about status. Hey its nice to be unique and stand out from the crowd thats why I am considering an Audi as my next car. Here in so cal everyone has a BMW. Even me.

Anyways, for pure luxury the A5 is nicer than the 335. It looks a lot like a smaller A8. For raw sports performance the 335 has the edge.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Many wealthy men drive Audis

My old boss is filthy rich and lives in Malibu.

He also drives a new Audi A8L model. Thats what got me thinking about the brand. Before I never heard about them. Yeah, we would hear about BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Jaguar but not so much about Audi.

Then I saw the action film Transporter 2 and he drives and Audi A8 in the movie. That got my interest. I test drove the Audi TT and A4 and liked the cars. So will see what happens with the A5 and S5. I can probably pick one up used in a few years for a great deal.

My favorite is the Audi R8 but they sell for over 120k new.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you like to argue, to argue, but don't do a good job, S4 ~ 335, RS4 ~ M3

Fine by the S5, 3 years, from now, dude, your not getting it, do what makes you happy.

I can make the argument about this for 1, the 2004 M3 has high residual value and made edmund's list that year, because that was the last E90, as the production run was ending in preparation for the E92 M3, or that the RS4 is Audi's competitor the M3, as it's the top of the line 4 model, and it's residual value will be like the M3 higher than either an S4, or A4, due to it's exclusive nature. Either case, dude, purchase what you want at whatever price you want, I mean, just tell me what you want to hear?

Quick Reply: Why is a loaded new A5 more than a loaded BMW 335i coupe?