Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise

In my 2008 A5, there is a lot of wind noise(unacceptable and annoying) in the car that is obvious when the windows are completely closed and the radio is off. It almost sounds as if the window is slightly open. If you are standing outside the car, and the windows are fully closed, and you touch the rubber trim which meets the glass from the window on the vertical frame above the doorhandle, that rubber trim that meets the door there is very soft and isnt meeting the window glass properly, therefore some air is getting in. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I have noticed this as well. I think you are right in that it has to do with the construction of the vehicle. The glass of the driver's window just rests against the rubber when closed.

2008 S5
Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a window height adjustment that the dealer can make, I believe. They can ensure that it is rising to the appropriate height to seal properly. I'd inquire with them.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. The rubber that meets the glass is just too soft so it doesnt create a good seal when the window is up....Bringing it to Audi next week
Old 10-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Please keep us informed if you find out anything. It was a rainy drive into work this morning, which made the wind noise quite noticable.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To be even more specific, the noise is on the B Pillar, on a 1/2 inch vertical "soft spot" about 1 inch below where the window meets the top of the car. The dealer said this does happen from time to time, but I think it is unacceptable
Old 10-11-2009, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default try this test

I have a faint A-pillar whistle above 40mph. When I brought it in for the 5K check-up, I asked them to inspect the problem. They road tested and confirmed the noise but could find nothing wrong with the window adjustment or seal. They told me it could be air rushing through the mirror joint causing the whistle. I thought BS but on the drive home, I tried a little experiment...

When I reached a constant whistle speed, I opened the window about an inch. THE WHISTLE WAS STILL THERE. I opened the window more and could modify the noise by placing a finger in different locations around the mirror joint. So the noise had nothing to do with the window seal.

The dealer said this is an issue in some other models and owners have successfully suppressed the noise by applying thin adhesive strips of tape or velcro (loop side) on the interface surface of the mirror joint when the mirror is pivoted against the car. This way, when the mirror is in the normal position, the tape can't be seen.

I haven't attempted a fix yet, but am less anxious about the noise now that I know exactly where it's coming from.

Not saying this is the same problem as yours, but it might be.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is important to keep ane eye on the condition of the rubber gaskets at the glass. As they dry, the wind noise can get worse.

Originally Posted by snow day
I have a faint A-pillar whistle above 40mph. When I brought it in for the 5K check-up, I asked them to inspect the problem. They road tested and confirmed the noise but could find nothing wrong with the window adjustment or seal. They told me it could be air rushing through the mirror joint causing the whistle. I thought BS but on the drive home, I tried a little experiment...

When I reached a constant whistle speed, I opened the window about an inch. THE WHISTLE WAS STILL THERE. I opened the window more and could modify the noise by placing a finger in different locations around the mirror joint. So the noise had nothing to do with the window seal.

The dealer said this is an issue in some other models and owners have successfully suppressed the noise by applying thin adhesive strips of tape or velcro (loop side) on the interface surface of the mirror joint when the mirror is pivoted against the car. This way, when the mirror is in the normal position, the tape can't be seen.

I haven't attempted a fix yet, but am less anxious about the noise now that I know exactly where it's coming from.

Not saying this is the same problem as yours, but it might be.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pwyll
It is important to keep ane eye on the condition of the rubber gaskets at the glass. As they dry, the wind noise can get worse.
Uhhh, my point was the noise had nothing to do with the rubber gaskets at the glass.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The wind is coming in from the rubber, which is sort of soft and indented, which is supposed to meet the window. The dealer told me they cant do anything about it and they also said they looked at a couple of other A5's and S5's and the others were similar to mine. This seems unacceptable. Can a few more of you chime in and let us know if you have this issue?

Quick Reply: Wind Noise