Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Windshield repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield repair or replace?

Starburst crack about 1.5in diameter, impact crater is 1/4in size. Safelite guy says it's borderline between repair/replace. Did mention the factory seal advantage of repair but said cosmetically it will not be great (white blur at least 1/4in in size). Geico rep was pushing repair option hard by spooking us w/ how bad it is to break factory seal.

Question: Is factory seal really that important or more insurance sell tactic myth? Car is 3 month old so insurance said they would be willing to pay for OEM glass if necessary. So repair with factory seal but most likely visible blemish or just get new OEM glass installed by Safelite?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I keep repairing mine but after my second (~$100 each) and soon to be third repair I am debating on replacing. In CO in the winter if I replaced every time I got a crack/chip I would be broke.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've never had issues with a new windshield.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I've had to replace twice this sand/rock strewn Winter. At least I have a nice clear view. Fortunately in MA it's covered under comprehensive insurance with no argument.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you chose to replace it, just make sure that they use Audi OEM gasket/seal then you should be fine.
Old 05-13-2023, 05:37 AM
Banned

Default denver windshield repair

Originally Posted by jwny
Starburst crack about 1.5in diameter, impact crater is 1/4in size. Safelite guy says it's borderline between repair/replace. Did mention the factory seal advantage of repair but said cosmetically it will not be great (white blur at least 1/4in in size). Geico rep was pushing repair option hard by spooking us w/ how bad it is to break factory seal.

Question: Is factory seal really that important or more insurance sell tactic myth? Car is 3 month old so insurance said they would be willing to pay for OEM glass if necessary. So repair with factory seal but most likely visible blemish or just get new OEM glass installed by Safelite?
I've had a similar experience with a starburst crack on my windshield, and it's a tough decision to make. I know that some repair technicians will prioritize preserving the factory seal, but others may push for a replacement. Ultimately, it depends on the size and location of the crack, as well as personal preferences and insurance coverage. In your case, it's great that your insurance is willing to pay for OEM glass if necessary, which is definitely a selling point for replacement. However, if you're leaning towards repair, it's important to choose a reputable company for Denver windshield repair. I recently used Colorado Chip for a similar issue and was impressed with their fast and professional service. They were able to repair the crack with minimal visible blemish and preserve the factory seal. Regardless of which option you choose, make sure to weigh the pros and cons carefully and choose a reliable company like Colorado Chip.