Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Xzilon -ever heard of it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xzilon -ever heard of it?

I was just at my dealer arranging to have 3M stoneguard protection and windows tinted when my 2012 S5 Cab arrives and he asked me if I also wanted Xzilon paint protection applied.
Apparently it protects against the effects of UV, bird droppimgs and tree sap and has a 10 year warranty. Anyone here have experience with this stuff?

D
Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A complete and total waste of money. Just yet another scam brought to you by dishonest dealers.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DDowS4
I was just at my dealer arranging to have 3M stoneguard protection and windows tinted when my 2012 S5 Cab arrives and he asked me if I also wanted Xzilon paint protection applied.
Apparently it protects against the effects of UV, bird droppimgs and tree sap and has a 10 year warranty. Anyone here have experience with this stuff?

D
I got "paint protection" and "leather protection" with my TT in 2002. I think I paid $900. I was given a bottle of paint protection liquid, and was instructed to apply it every x months (can't remember how often). Then for the leather, same thing. I asked them to apply it the next year, and it was obvious that an audi service guy wet the cloth, rubbed it unevenly over the seats (streaking revealed the areas that were not touched, which was about 20% of the seats), etc. It was obvious that it took him about 2 minutes to do the entire process. They were impulse purchases - I swore I'd never purchase either one again.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Daytona A5
A complete and total waste of money. Just yet another scam brought to you by dishonest dealers.
far from a scam...
Old 07-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Perhaps you are correct. I just checked their website and:

WHAT MAKES XZILON DIFFERENT?

-Originally Designed for the Aviation Industry
-It's Not a Wax - It's Molecular Adhesion
-More Complete Coverage Than Traditional Products
-Protection From Common Appearance Events

I just need to first find out what "Molecular Adhesion" is and that terrible "Common Appearance Events". I'd hate to have someone blowing smoke up my skirt with a bunch advertising speak.

I rest my case.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Daytona A5
+1

Dealers have been padding sales for years with "paint protection" and/or "space age sealant" crap. Look at the Xzilon website. Why is a "Start-a-Claim" tab one of the 6 main tabs for their website? They claim to have been developed for the "aviation" industry that doesn't mean they are any good. A pilots life is not at risk if the paint protection doesn't live up to its claim... No FAA oversight or regulation for this junk. Anyone can put a picture of a debadged Maserati on their site... Although I'm sure Maserati (or the parent company Fiat) have a legal dept. that would love to hammer them for failure to remove the copyrighted Maserati Trident emblem that is visible on the seats... If it was a prancing horse... the party would already be over for xzilon.

Spend the money on a good detail job. Always good to protect your paint with a good sealant if you aren't going to keep it properly waxed. BUT you can get a much better job done by a quality bonded detailer. There is a big difference between the two words, Dealer and Detailer... You want attention to detail on your paint and interior, get a Bonded Detailer.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow - that brought some strong responses - thanks thats exactly what I needed to hear - I'll put my $500 bucks toward the ecu tuning I want.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DDowS4
Wow - that brought some strong responses - thanks thats exactly what I needed to hear - I'll put my $500 bucks toward the ecu tuning I want.
Or go with a clear bra like Ventureshield. I did and the stuff is pretty amazing.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that product is given to the dealers for free and then they charge for the FIVE year warranty. Someone told you TEN? Supposedly the bezels on aircraft engines were corroding and costing the airlines lots of money to replace them. The Xzilon supposedly prevented that from happening. I've seen a demo where they treat the hood of a car with Xzilon and spray paint it. The paint doesn't stick. They also clean the paint off with the liquid. It's actually a nice product but it's not worth the hundreds of dollars they want to charge for it. I had put it on a couple of my Toyotas and it seemed to keep bird poop damage from happening. I got the stuff for free from where I work and applied it myself. it would be better if they sold it in stores for yearly reapplications.

the leather treatment is just mink oil that you can buy on your own and apply regularly to keep the leather supple.

By the way, the stuff doesn't seem to protect the Audi water based paint from bird damage. I put it on mine and I still had to have my detail shop buff the spot.