Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

***Official*** B9 A5/S5/RS5 OBDEleven Coding Thread (Updated 8/6/2018)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 147 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
Others will chime in but I have a 2019 built in September 2018 and I have done all my changes without performing any hood rituals. When was yours built?
Mine was built in December 2019. I'll go reset the MMI and check things out again in a bit. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just set the Welcome Sound flag on the '18 SQ5. Hood open. OBDEleven. No sound or volume in the MMI.

Reset the MMI. Volume setting appeared in the MMI and Welcome sound played upon next start.

I'm not sure that I needed the hood up on the '18, but figured it couldn't hurt. Good luck!

Last edited by ChrisBWJ; 07-25-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisBWJ
Just did Welcome Sound flag on the '18 SQ5. Hood open. OBDEleven. No sound or volume in the MMI.

Reset the MMI. Volume setting appeared in the MMI and Welcome sound played upon next start.

I'm not sure that I needed the hood up on the '18, but figured it couldn't hurt. Good luck!
What kinda sound did you get?
Old 07-25-2020, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
What kinda sound did you get?
The two heartbeats...
Old 07-26-2020, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, slap my *** and call me Sally.
I finally found it - but it was AFTER I disabled it, reset the MMI, and re-enabled it with another reset.
I maxed it out, of course.
Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by MH62
My steps didn't work for you? Can you get to this menu from step 4?
The following 2 users liked this post by Thes6isWicked:
MH62 (07-26-2020), Nikon1 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Another useful bit of info:

For those struggling with the significant level difference between Sirius/Satellite radio and the other sources in the car, there is a cure....

For those with OBD11 or VCDS:
1) Search the 5F or Entertainment module for an adaptation group, all in a row, listing all available sources in sequence
2) One will point you to Sirius/Satellite radio
3) Notice that all sources are set to the same level (can anyone say, blown speaker)?
4) I believe the closest (aka: safest) matching point would be to set Satellite/Sirius to 0

I would always start with the volume down to the lowest setting, just before mute to avoid damage (especially as my memory is ****E).
I will post actually pics shortly, but I know people are having this issue and that can drive impatience.

You can also fine tune other inputs, if you wish - BUT, be careful here.....
Playing from your iPhone or Android has it's own built-in volume correction - the former of the two is pretty ineffective.
You could play the same source material from the SD card and it would be a completely different level!
So, when you adjust your source settings, ensure you are using source material that has been equalized for volume BEFORE you set other inputs you might play from.
Each source has different pre-amp out levels, which can still be manipulated with the level of the source material (it's perceived volume, how it was mastered, etc.).

YMMV - and I take no responsibility, so see what work for YOU, but look for a followup to provide more precise detail.
I always equalize my audio files (lossless codec's) to the same perceived volume levels, so I'm not f'ing with the volume between songs (my hip hop is no louder than my country, regardless of how it was mixed by the engineers).

I use NCH on Mac as it's VERY flexible, can convert formats, boost volume, normalize it, etc.
There are even more options for Windows....
This type of volume correction does require actually opening the file, creating a wave file, then re-encoding - so make sure the reviews are good and people aren't mentioning noticeable changes in quality of the files.
There are good ones, and there are bad ones...
Always test a single file first, keeping a backup copy to compare with.
This is also true of your iPhone and Androids as sources - the songs should be normalized and avoid using the phones to equalize volume on the fly as it actually does not do it across your library, but it does it as an average and only works when played through that device.

Last edited by Thes6isWicked; 07-26-2020 at 08:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thes6isWicked:
Nikon1 (07-26-2020), NJS5 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 230 Likes on 138 Posts

I could use a little boost here...

Via OBD11 gen2, I successfully turned on the Welcome Sound without having to restart the MMI. The heartbeat comes on 100% of the time, regardless of the temporary configuration of the VC in Sport Mode; that's really nice.

No flash oil level gauge though, no matter what combinations of VC display I choose. I always get the heartbeat, never get the flashed oil level gauge. Is there something else I need to do?

I am also wondering if this feature is only available to A5s/S5s, and not to RS5s ...

Any help here would be much appreciated.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 147 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dadrocker
Mine was built in December 2019. I'll go reset the MMI and check things out again in a bit. Thanks for the help.
Restarting the MMI made the menu item and volume control appear, and I have the heartbeat welcome sound.
The following users liked this post:
ChrisBWJ (07-26-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dadrocker
Restarting the MMI made the menu item and volume control appear, and I have the heartbeat welcome sound.
I wish I had the heartbeat. I have the harp sound.

Originally Posted by DCB1951
I could use a little boost here...

Via OBD11 gen2, I successfully turned on the Welcome Sound without having to restart the MMI. The heartbeat comes on 100% of the time, regardless of the temporary configuration of the VC in Sport Mode; that's really nice.

No flash oil level gauge though, no matter what combinations of VC display I choose. I always get the heartbeat, never get the flashed oil level gauge. Is there something else I need to do?

I am also wondering if this feature is only available to A5s/S5s, and not to RS5s ...

Any help here would be much appreciated.
The flashing oil level is something new. I only have my S5 for about four more months but I'll try to see if I can dig something up.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

I just ordered the new generation OBD 11.

Quick Reply: ***Official*** B9 A5/S5/RS5 OBDEleven Coding Thread (Updated 8/6/2018)