Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 S5 power top

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2018 S5 power top

I just purchased a 2018 S5 convertible premium plus: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...tible-3015057/

My question after reading the manual is this: Does the power top only work with the convenience key or remote control if the car is a Prestige model? The manual states you can open and close the top with the key fob or by removing the key from the fob and placing it the door and turning to the unlock position to open of lock position to close. There is an asterisk after each part of this section but no where can I find the note for said asterisk. I have tried opening my top with the fob and using the key from the fob with no luck.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bueller?
Old 03-21-2021, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Poncherello
I just purchased a 2018 S5 convertible premium plus: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...tible-3015057/

My question after reading the manual is this: Does the power top only work with the convenience key or remote control if the car is a Prestige model? The manual states you can open and close the top with the key fob or by removing the key from the fob and placing it the door and turning to the unlock position to open of lock position to close. There is an asterisk after each part of this section but no where can I find the note for said asterisk. I have tried opening my top with the fob and using the key from the fob with no luck.
I have a 2020 Prestige so I can't answer the question about if it is only on the Prestige. I can tell you that you need to press the remote or turn the key twice and hold it after the second time. There is a noticeable delay before it starts. On my 2020 it works from the remote and using the key.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JJs S5 CAB
I have a 2020 Prestige so I can't answer the question about if it is only on the Prestige. I can tell you that you need to press the remote or turn the key twice and hold it after the second time. There is a noticeable delay before it starts. On my 2020 it works from the remote and using the key.
I've done that....must only be on the Prestige
Old 03-23-2021, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

had a 2018 a5 cabrio, premium plus. yes you can operate the power top from the key. hold for windows up/down. press twice holding second time to operate the convertible top. you do have to be closer to the car itself though, and you can't double press too fast (not quite as fast as, say, if you were double clicking something on your computer mouse)
Old 03-23-2021, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yllee
had a 2018 a5 cabrio, premium plus. yes you can operate the power top from the key. hold for windows up/down. press twice holding second time to operate the convertible top. you do have to be closer to the car itself though, and you can't double press too fast (not quite as fast as, say, if you were double clicking something on your computer mouse)

I'll have to try again I guess
Old 03-25-2021, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

I always thought it was triple press. Maybe that’s why it never works right for me.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have tried everything, it just doesn't open from the fob. I'm guessing it's Prestige only with that function.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Poncherello
I have tried everything, it just doesn't open from the fob. I'm guessing it's Prestige only with that function.
i find it hard to believe an a5 PP can do it but an S5 PP can't. maybe take it to the dealer to have them check it out?
also since you have to be pretty close to the car (~5ft ish), maybe replace the battery in your keyfob? mine when the battery is near dying sometimes the car doesn't pick up that it's even in the car unless i put it near the console
it's also a function that can be coded in, so i guess it's possible the previous owner disabled it with VCDS or something, but i can't imagine why someone would do that

and just to be clear, you have a b9 s5 with the convenience key?
Old 03-26-2021, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

i find it hard to believe an a5 PP can do it but an S5 PP can't. maybe take it to the dealer to have them check it out?
also since you have to be pretty close to the car (~5ft ish), maybe replace the battery in your keyfob? mine when the battery is near dying sometimes the car doesn't pick up that it's even in the car unless i put it near the console
it's also a function that can be coded in, so i guess it's possible the previous owner disabled it with VCDS or something, but i can't imagine why someone would do that

and just to be clear, you have a b9 s5 with the convenience key?
Ok, I figured it out, I think. The fob I was using, a genuine Audi fob with the S5 logo had a chrome lock and unlock button with a black trunk button. I switched to the other fob which has all three buttons chrome and it opened and closed the top as designed. Aside from being a second fob is the one with the black button a "valet" fob that limits some functionality? It works normally with keyless entry as well.

Quick Reply: 2018 S5 power top