Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 S5 Sportback Lowered on 20s

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
Did you get the black calipers on purpose? After checking you car, I'm now wondering if I should uncheck the red caliber from my order.... Do you think black calipers would look better on Ibis white and stock Cavo wheels?
Red calipers look sporty in my book.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
Thank you guys.
The 5% tint is something that takes getting used to. I have had it on my cars since 2006 so I am used to seeing with it.
The only annoying issues with it are;
1. The more tinted a window is, the more it becomes mirror like when the dome lights reflect off it at night.
2. Sometime you have to look well before taking turns so that you don't pop a curb or something.
3. Parallel parking at night. I rarely try this at any time of the day because it is not worth curb rashing the wheels.

On to the 034 drop springs, they ride really good. They are supposed to only give .8" of drop, but I cannot tell you the net amount of drop with certainty because I installed the 20s (which have a tire about 1" greater in diameter) and the drop at the same time.
I actually installed the drop and wheels/tires myself. The rear was easy, but the front was another story. The front would have been easy, but the steering knuckles/spindles had to be pulled outwards a bit to allow access to remove the struts. Doing so disengaged the front CV axles and they were a royal PITA to get back in place as I am not use to doing that. I am sure there has to be some quicker technique than what I did.

I gave the front springs an attempt with same springs, couldnt get lower "U" portion of shock off. So you have to pull out the spindles too and disengage the CV?
Brian
Old 01-20-2018, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

​​​​​​
3Cat,
You will have to pull the strut out. So you won't be compressing the strut in the car or anything.
The way I did it was to;

1. Of course, jack up the car by the pinch welds, remove the wheel bolt covers, then bust off the lug bolts.
2. Take off the upper knuckle bolt (long one with two ball joints) from the upper control arm. Then hit the knuckle with a mallet and they'll disengage from each other.
3. Remove the lower strut extension bolt connecting to the lower control arm.
4. Remove the front sway bar end links all together.
5. Take off the upper strut mount 3 bolts in the engine bay.

After that, you just have to "persuade" the strut extension "U-style" boot area over the lower control arm so that it can fall down.

You will need a spring compressor to compress the stock springs, but you won't need it to compress the aftermarket springs (at least I didn't for my 034 springs). The top strut mount bolt will tighten down without compression.

Found this video which is helpful on how to remove the shock/spring assembly.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vaZ...ature=youtu.be
The following users liked this post:
WalkAudi6 (08-29-2020)
Old 01-20-2018, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

You have to get that lower U version over the lower control arm. The only way to do so is pull the knuckle outwards from the top. The CV will disengage, then you can get that lower strut mounts over the arm.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to get that lower U version over the lower control arm. The only way to do so is pull the knuckle outwards from the top. The CV will disengage, then you can get that lower strut mounts over the arm.
hi what is your front and rear size tyres about 20º?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default BKM Front Grill for S5 SB

Has anyone used BK Motorsport, and successfully installed the RS5 style grill they offer? They are located in CA, and I spoke with the guy today, and he indicated this grill is specifically made for the B9 A5/S5, but wanted to validate out here....

https://bk-motorsport.com/tuning/aud...e-chrome-ring/
Old 04-09-2018, 09:46 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jig Patel
Has anyone used BK Motorsport, and successfully installed the RS5 style grill they offer? They are located in CA, and I spoke with the guy today, and he indicated this grill is specifically made for the B9 A5/S5, but wanted to validate out here....

That would be the vendor of my choice when I want to do a grill swap - but I'm holding off till next year so that when I do it, it will be a nice refresh.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly they are all the same. That's the same grill as all the others. They're is a "second generation" grill without the different bottom honeycomb, it's all the same pattern, but, that too down not plug and play. All the venders say... Oh they fit oerfperfe without mods, then say oh sorry, that's what the manufacturer told is. It's BS, they all know now. The outrageously overpriced tag bo grill is the only plug and play one afaik. Sucks.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Your JL Audio Setup

Love your car. I just got my black SB, and have "began the process." I had a question on your sub/audio setup. I like the way you integrated the sub into the rear side panel.
- Did you do that yourself?
- If you had someone else professionally install what type of estimate did they give you....if you don't mind sharing?

I have a local place thats awesome, but they are estimating me about $4600 - $5000 for a similar setup. I feel thats way too high......opinions?
Old 04-28-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Love your car. I just got my black SB, and have "began the process." I had a question on your sub/audio setup. I like the way you integrated the sub into the rear side panel.
- Did you do that yourself?
- If you had someone else professionally install what type of estimate did they give you....if you don't mind sharing?

I have a local place thats awesome, but they are estimating me about $4600 - $5000 for a similar setup. I feel thats way too high......opinions?
Thank you!
I did the majority of the install myself. The only part I did not do was the actual fabrication of the enclosure. That was made off my input, while a local custom car shop did the actual work on it. I did the amp and wiring install. I also supplied all parts
All in all, I paid $1,350 total.
Assuming you had someone do this work for you, expect to pay between $1750 - $2250 depending on location and equipment brand quality.
Anything more than that is an absolute rip off.

Quick Reply: 2018 S5 Sportback Lowered on 20s