Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 S5 Sportback Lowered on 20s

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
So my RS style grille made it in today! I was so excited as this is my most anticipated modification yet (blacking out the front end that is).
It was packaged very well. Literally almost no chance of shipping damage if not from neglect.
Anyways, the finish and build quality of the grille is really nice! Just about on par with the factory grille if one asks me. Another plus is that the RS badge and the European plate holder were in the box, but not attached. So less work for me!

I'll install it within the next few days with it's Audi OEM black optic S5 counterparts, then post pics when I'm done.

Those look great !
Please write up on how to install with pictures for other A5/S5 members here Thanks
Old 11-08-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

@BreedsAs
Where you able to make the center grill fit? I didn't think it would work on the a5/S5?
Old 11-08-2017, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Hey guys,
To answer the above questions.
1. My S5 has Savini BM15 wheels in 20x10 on it.
2. 3cat, the grille I have is not the OEM RS5 grille. It is an aftermarket grille that is very similar to it.

So I suffered a minor setback today. I planned on installing the grilles tomorrow if not for this issue.
I had ordered a matte black Audi rings emblem to put on the RS style grille to complete;y black out the front end. I specifically asked the seller for the dimensions of the emblem on the RS style aftermarket grille and he was adamant that the Audi rings were the same size as the OEM ones, which is 10.75" x 3.75" approximately. Turned out he was WRONG!
The emblem the aftermarket RS style grille needs is approximately 11.25" x 3.9". It is a very small, but critical difference. Now that Veteran's Day is coming, I may not be able to get the new Audi emblem in until next week. I also have a $20 matte black Audi emblem that I have no use of. It does fit the stock grille though in case any of you guys with a black grille want it.
I will update once I install shortly.

On the good side, I had some audio goodies come in. A 10" JL Audio 10TW3 shallow mount subwoofer, and an Alpine MRV-M500 amp to power it. Should sound pretty nice.
I also picked up 2 key pouches to protect the S5 fobs I keep dropping.

Last edited by BreedsAs; 11-08-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a heads up for the key fob, I had the same one for my Q7. Be aware this fob will scratch up your key plastic housing due to the fact that there is no inside lining for the metal zipper....
Old 11-08-2017, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by coupegt87
Just a heads up for the key fob, I had the same one for my Q7. Be aware this fob will scratch up your key plastic housing due to the fact that there is no inside lining for the metal zipper....
It's funny you mentioned that because I think I saw a review on Amazon stating that.
I got the pouch to protect the key from drops more than regular wear and tear. My fob gets limited wear because I don't put it on the same key chain (or any key chain at all) with other keys.
It also only shares a pocket with my wallet or phone. No other keys are allowed in the same pocket as it.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All unboxed.
The JL sub has a really nice/solid build quality. The Alpine amp looks on par too. It is a lot more compact than I thought, which is always a plus. I got a grille for the sub too because I'm going to have it custom installed in a fiberglass enclosure into the little holding area with the net to the left rear of the trunk on Sportback models.
I'm still thinking of an amp mounting location.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice car and mods! Some FYI in case you havent encountered it yet. if you have the front mounted camera, the grill needs the OEM RS bracket or something can be fabricated (I ended up doing that). Also the parking sensors are mounted too high in the aftermarket grill and hit the bumper support. (The bumper cannot be re-installed with the sensors in) The factory foam piece has to be removed but even still the sensors dont have room to fit. Will probably need to buy brackets for the sensors and move them down where the factory placement is. This is too bad because the grill has built in provisions that are really nice... just a few inches too high since they decided to make the mesh two-parts and not one piece like OEM. I'm working on sourcing the brackets now, I think I have seen some on another Audi model that will work. I had a similar issue installing a C7.5 RS OEM grill on an S7 for a friend. I thought this grill was made specifically for the A/S5 but it looks like it has some features of the OEM RS grill also.

Hey guys,
To answer the above questions.
1. My S5 has Savini BM15 wheels in 20x10 on it.
2. 3cat, the grille I have is not the OEM RS5 grille. It is an aftermarket grille that is very similar to it.

So I suffered a minor setback today. I planned on installing the grilles tomorrow if not for this issue.
I had ordered a matte black Audi rings emblem to put on the RS style grille to complete;y black out the front end. I specifically asked the seller for the dimensions of the emblem on the RS style aftermarket grille and he was adamant that the Audi rings were the same size as the OEM ones, which is 10.75" x 3.75" approximately. Turned out he was WRONG!
The emblem the aftermarket RS style grille needs is approximately 11.25" x 3.9". It is a very small, but critical difference. Now that Veteran's Day is coming, I may not be able to get the new Audi emblem in until next week. I also have a $20 matte black Audi emblem that I have no use of. It does fit the stock grille though in case any of you guys with a black grille want it.
I will update once I install shortly.

On the good side, I had some audio goodies come in. A 10" JL Audio 10TW3 shallow mount subwoofer, and an Alpine MRV-M500 amp to power it. Should sound pretty nice.
I also picked up 2 key pouches to protect the S5 fobs I keep dropping.

Last edited by Quattrings; 11-09-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Quattrings
Nice car and mods! Some FYI in case you havent encountered it yet. if you have the front mounted camera, the grill needs the OEM RS bracket or something can be fabricated (I ended up doing that). Also the parking sensors are mounted too high in the aftermarket grill and hit the bumper support. (The bumper cannot be re-installed with the sensors in) The factory foam piece has to be removed but even still the sensors dont have room to fit. Will probably need to buy brackets for the sensors and move them down where the factory placement is. This is too bad because the grill has built in provisions that are really nice... just a few inches too high since they decided to make the mesh two-parts and not one piece like OEM. I'm working on sourcing the brackets now, I think I have seen some on another Audi model that will work. I had a similar issue installing a C7.5 RS OEM grill on an S7 for a friend. I thought this grill was made specifically for the A/S5 but it looks like it has some features of the OEM RS grill also.
Thanks for the heads up Quattrings. Unfortunately, it came late. The provisions for the front camera and parking sensors on that grille are 100% useless.
I'm returning the grille for a full refund. I guess it's back to waiting for Xenonz-UK to drop a grille that actually fits with the only modification being removing the foam pad on the aluminum impact bar!
Now I have a mix match front end but it is what it is. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up Quattrings. Unfortunately, it came late. The provisions for the front camera and parking sensors on that grille are 100% useless.
I'm returning the grille for a full refund. I guess it's back to waiting for Xenonz-UK to drop a grille that actually fits with the only modification being removing the foam pad on the aluminum impact bar!
Now I have a mix match front end but it is what it is. I'll post pics tomorrow.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im sorry man, I feel you and agree it's a hassle. We could source the OEM camera mount bracket from Germany or from our local dealer whenever the RS5 finally hits here in the USA. Im working on a mod that may work out well for the parking sensors, and wont require any cutting or modifications. I wont know if it works until next week (after it arrives) but I can keep you posted if you want to hold off on returning it. I unfortunately have had to unplug the sensors for the time being.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Quattrings; 11-10-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's unfortunate. I'm not one that would likely do many modifications to my car, but the RS Style grill was one I was really excited about. Hopefully they address the issue, or some other aftermarket manufacturer steps up with a no issues alternative.

Quick Reply: 2018 S5 Sportback Lowered on 20s