Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2019 A5 Homelink wont work with Genie smart garage door

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 A5 Homelink wont work with Genie smart garage door

Tried setting up the homelink with my Genie Quietlift connect 750 but it dint work. I go this instruction set:

Step 1. Begin by clearing the Homelink by pressing and holding the two outer buttons until the Homelink indicator light starts to blink, which may take up to 20 seconds.
Step 2. Press and hold desired Homelink button until indicator light flashes slowly. Once+indicator light is flashing slowly, release the button. The vehicle is now in training mode. You will have 5 minutes to train your remote to the Homelink transmitter in the bumper.
Step 3. Stand in front of your vehicle with the genie or overhead door remote that you will use to train the vehicle. The Homelink transmitter is in the front bumper about 4 inches to the left of the vehicles center.
Step 4. Hold the remote between 0-12 inches from the vehicles bumper. a. Note: The distance between the remote and the Homelink transmitter unit in the bumper depends on the system being trained. It may require several attempts at different distances in order to pick up the signal.
Step 5. Now press and hold the button on your remote while keeping the vehicles fog lights in view. The fog lights will blink three times to indicate the training is successful. a. If training has exceeded the five-minute timer, the fog lights will blink 1 time. If this occurs, repeat steps 2-5.
Step 6. If the unit is fixed code, training should be complete and the trained Homelink button should light solid and operate the door. If the unit is rolling code, the trained Homelink button will blink rapidly and then turn solid, indicating you should proceed to step 7.
Step 7. At the powerhead, locate the Learn Code or Program Set button. Place the unit in programming mode, you now have 30 seconds to initiate the next step.
Step 8. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained Homelink button for two seconds and then release.
Repeat this 3-5 times, or until the door runs.

Did anyone here have

This is the door opener model
problems, did they use the instructions above, please help. Been stuck using the handheld transmitter instead of my car's own door opener button for a year now.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 379 Likes on 262 Posts

where did you find these instructions? I did mine from inside the car following the instructions in my owners manual.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

got them from Genie support
Old 01-11-2021, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update: Finally got it to work (for anyone interested) should work on all 2018-2019 models with homelink.

Step 1: Clear programming in car's homelink menu
Step 2: Press the button you want to program, until MMI shows the option to begin programming said button (I in my case)
Step 3: Follow instructions on screen till you get to the point where it asks 'Is your garage door moving'
Step 4: If your garage door dint move due to rolling codes, go back to your door opener unit.
Step 5: Press the PROGRAM button on the bottom of the door opener, next to the the +/- buttons until blue light starts glowing, at which point release the button
Step 6: As soon as the purple LED (oblong shaped) on the opener started flashing, run to the car and press the desired homelink button (I in my case) twice. [THIS IS TIME SENSITIVE so be fast]
Step 7: If it Dint start working immediately, push the same button twice a few more times until the door starts to move.
Step 8 (Optional): Cry with happiness on learning to do this after 15 months of owning car :P
Old 01-11-2021, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 379 Likes on 262 Posts

This sounds more like the procedure in the manual which should always be tried/followed first.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2018 is connected but only works intermittently. Worse in cold weather. Our other cars work just fine. Pretty low tech
Old 01-12-2021, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

The LED bulbs in my opener are screwing with the signal from my Homelink. Just been too lazy to swap them out. I was wondering why it worked fine to open the door but not close it.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 606 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Gopal Chaudhary
Update: Finally got it to work (for anyone interested) should work on all 2018-2019 models with homelink.

Step 1: Clear programming in car's homelink menu
Step 2: Press the button you want to program, until MMI shows the option to begin programming said button (I in my case)
Step 3: Follow instructions on screen till you get to the point where it asks 'Is your garage door moving'
Step 4: If your garage door dint move due to rolling codes, go back to your door opener unit.
Step 5: Press the PROGRAM button on the bottom of the door opener, next to the the +/- buttons until blue light starts glowing, at which point release the button
Step 6: As soon as the purple LED (oblong shaped) on the opener started flashing, run to the car and press the desired homelink button (I in my case) twice. [THIS IS TIME SENSITIVE so be fast]
Step 7: If it Dint start working immediately, push the same button twice a few more times until the door starts to move.
Step 8 (Optional): Cry with happiness on learning to do this after 15 months of owning car :P
Yeah, you shouldn't have followed Genie's instructions. They're just generic instructions and each car is different. What you listed above is the standard Audi procedure that's listed in the manual. It been this way for at least 10 years that I know of.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:00 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey T
The LED bulbs in my opener are screwing with the signal from my Homelink. Just been too lazy to swap them out. I was wondering why it worked fine to open the door but not close it.
I have (4) Cree LED bulbs between the (2) LiftMaster 8550W operators in our garage. Never had a problem with either the LiftMaster remotes or the Audi & Acura built in controls. Installer was shocked to see that when he installed the operators several years ago as he had problematic experience with LED bulbs in other installations. Cree has always been my go to brand for LED bulbs.

As always, YMMV.

— John
Old 01-13-2021, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I have (4) Cree LED bulbs between the (2) LiftMaster 8550W operators in our garage. Never had a problem with either the LiftMaster remotes or the Audi & Acura built in controls. Installer was shocked to see that when he installed the operators several years ago as he had problematic experience with LED bulbs in other installations. Cree has always been my go to brand for LED bulbs.
Cree is the real-deal. Not as inexpensive as their Chinese copy-cats, but quality, reliability, and life-time is much better.

Quick Reply: 2019 A5 Homelink wont work with Genie smart garage door