Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2022 RS5 changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 02:52 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,408 Posts

While not being strictly germane to this thread, I really feel in so many ways that the B9 is / was the sweet spot with the features & options we could build into our cars. I’m left to wonder why Audi removed the flat bottom steering wheel and some of the other things that B9 buyers could order. Ultimately I’m sure there’s a rationale that’s tied to money and reduced sku numbers and inventory reduction but at some point Audi risks losing some of its loyal base as those customers move on to other luxury branded cars that still have the options available to their buyers.

What do I know — I’m just a customer who lives in South Jersey . . . and is surrounded by dealers of every luxury branded automobiles.

— John
The following users liked this post:
JD15 (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 660 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
While not being strictly germane to this thread, I really feel in so many ways that the B9 is / was the sweet spot with the features & options we could build into our cars. I’m left to wonder why Audi removed the flat bottom steering wheel and some of the other things that B9 buyers could order. Ultimately I’m sure there’s a rationale that’s tied to money and reduced sku numbers and inventory reduction but at some point Audi risks losing some of its loyal base as those customers move on to other luxury branded cars that still have the options available to their buyers.

What do I know — I’m just a customer who lives in South Jersey . . . and is surrounded by dealers of every luxury branded automobiles.

— John
The biggest reason is packaging. Since the B9.5 has hands on detection for their improved lane keep assistance and adaptive cruise control, they didn't create a flat bottom steering wheel that was compatible with the sensors required inside it. The refresh of the RS6/7 are getting a new flat bottom wheel that does have the hands on detection, but it's a different steering wheel entirely so I'm assuming Audi still wants to have some differentiating features/parts on the more expensive models. Plus the B9/9.5 is getting close to the end of its life cycle, so they most likely didn't want to reinvent the wheel...no pun intended lol
Old 06-25-2021, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear Audi,

It’s something called a performance catalog where you make lots more money selling solutions to idiots like us. BMW and Porsche make a killing. Now please wake up and sell us a flat bottom wheel that works.
The following 2 users liked this post by FrankThomas:
35mphgolf (06-25-2021), Nikon1 (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Official answer I received from Audi's Product Planning Manager:

"Unfortunately, as of MY22, the flat-bottom steering wheel is no longer available on RS5 (nor is it on S4/S5/SQ5)." Yeah it's too bad that they don't at least have some option for a flat bottom wheel, although in this case I wouldn't have given up adaptive cruise with stop and go just to have one (that is definitely more important to me for commuting).

I'm still happy to be getting an alcantara wrapped wheel though, albeit round. Once I brought this to their attention, they knocked off another $1k from the price and added park assist for free (one of the very few options I didn't select, but hey if they will throw it in I'll gladly accept it). I did tell them that they need to give this kind of info to their dealers, because nobody seemed to know about it until I brought it up. A lot of customers would have been pissed to select a $2K option package for it to show up with a round steering wheel...not very "RS" of them lol
Nikon1 (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 614 Likes on 443 Posts

If they don't have the parts, there's no sense in advertising them.

A friend of mine just picked up a new M4 and someone backed into him in a parking lot. He needs a new front bumper and associated hardware. The problem is BMW doesn't have any front bumper brackets available and no one can tell him when they will be available. His car has been sitting at the shop for about a month waiting for the brackets.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 06-25-2021 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish

A friend of mine just picked up a new M4 and someone backed into him in a parking lot. He needs a new front bumper and associated hardware. The problem is BMW doesn't have any front bumper brackets available and no one can tell him when they will be available. His car has been sitting at the shop for about a month waiting for the brackets.
It's not about not having the parts and not advertising, it's about letting their dealers know that certain packages have changed. If you call almost any Audi dealer right now and ask to order a 2022 model with the RS Design Interior package (that would normally give you a flat bottom up until this year) they would tell you "yup it comes with a flat bottom" only for you to collect your car on delivery and it be round. That's not cool. At least if they were upfront about it, that would be okay...sort of like in previous model years there would always be an asterisk beside the flat bottom option saying "deletes steering wheel heating".
Old 06-25-2021, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 614 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
It's not about not having the parts and not advertising, it's about letting their dealers know that certain packages have changed. If you call almost any Audi dealer right now and ask to order a 2022 model with the RS Design Interior package (that would normally give you a flat bottom up until this year) they would tell you "yup it comes with a flat bottom" only for you to collect your car on delivery and it be round. That's not cool. At least if they were upfront about it, that would be okay...sort of like in previous model years there would always be an asterisk beside the flat bottom option saying "deletes steering wheel heating".
Sorry, I was replying to the "sell it as an accessory in a parts catalogue" comment.
Burrcold (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish

Did they back into the grille by any chance?
The following 3 users liked this post by belzebutt:
Nikon1 (06-25-2021), u080570 (06-25-2021), Weebl (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 08:06 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
I saw what you did there!

— John
Old 06-25-2021, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
LOL - how could they have missed it
dpcompt (06-25-2021)

Quick Reply: 2022 RS5 changes