Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2025 Audi B10 A5 spotted

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 660 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
So, you guys that own or like these Audi 4-door cars, like the A4/S4, A5/S5, and A6/S6 ...

With the new EV-only cars coming, do you think they are going to keep all those 4-door cars as ICE-only or PHEV?
Audi has already said the even numbers (A4/S4/A6/S6) will be EV and the odd numbers (A5/S5/A7/S7) will be ICE and/or mild hybrids.

[/list]Good catch.

That can't be right ... on an Audi 5-series car ?
Yup...but this is actually something I would like to see on a 5 series car. This one is a positive for me.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019RS5Sportback
Yup, anyone who experienced the rocker-arm issue (luckily my late-build RS5 with the improved rocker-arm design was spared) would have a legit gripe. However, that defective part design spanned several years and was not solely attributed to year #1 or even just the A5 model. My comments were simply pointing out my own impending choice between current vs. refresh, not necessarily meaning I would be buying the first production run. I typically wait at least one year.

Regardless, the opinions and decisions for everyone are based on whatever is most meaningful, individually. For me, I am a “car guy” and I want to feel passionate about my cars, not blah. So far, I’m not feeling it (at all) for this new design, but time will tell. Perhaps the RS5 will surprise us/me. As mentioned in some other posts, I am actually leaning towards the RSQ8, which is also awaiting its refreshed release. Until then, I’m perfectly happy with my B9, albeit a bit jealous of the 9.5 competition version
Wait im jsut hearing about this rocker-arm issue... I just got a 2024 A5... I'm assuming this should have been rectified?!
Old 01-05-2024, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Wait im jsut hearing about this rocker-arm issue... I just got a 2024 A5... I'm assuming this should have been rectified?!
I believe the ‘rocker arm issue’ only applies to 6 cyl engines.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 614 Likes on 443 Posts

Good catch.

That can't be right ... on an Audi 5-series car ?
Looks like it because the A5 is replacing the A4. Audi doesn't want to lose the A4 customers so they're going to framed windows but with a frameless look.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:16 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Looks like it because the A5 is replacing the A4. Audi doesn't want to lose the A4 customers so they're going to framed windows but with a frameless look.
Maybe I'm missing something, and please forgive me if so, but how many people (not on active car forums) actually even really notice if their windows are framed or frame-less? And of those people who notice, how many would base their car buying decision on that? I've owned both, and it isn't even a blip on my decision making when shopping for a new car. It's more a case of "oh, this car has frame-less windows" the first time I hand was it LOL.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 189 Likes on 111 Posts

Re: Framless windows...
Originally Posted by Burrcold
Yup...but this is actually something I would like to see on a 5 series car. This one is a positive for me.
The general sense I get is that the frameless windows were a style queue meant to evoke the Coupe nature of the S5's origins. And from a pure styling standpoint they definitely hit the mark. But I think they are being sacrificed in the name of practicality. I have to imagine that a framed window is better structurally as well as easier to design and manufacture. It eliminates the need for automatically rolling the window down then up any time the door is opened and provides for a better seal (framed is sealed from both sides, the frameless on only one side).

But I'll bet the biggest reason to go framed is to support the extra weight of the acoustic side window. The A5 line didn't offer that as an option where the A4 did. So merging the 2 lines together and keeping the acoustic glass option necessitates a framed window.

Last edited by njspeedfreak; 01-05-2024 at 09:23 AM. Reason: fix typo
The following 2 users liked this post by njspeedfreak:
JD15 (01-05-2024), mikeru (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 189 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
I believe the ‘rocker arm issue’ only applies to 6 cyl engines.
And basically only for cars with a model year of 2017 or 2018. The parts were replaced with an updated version by the time MY 2019 hit the showrooms.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 660 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
Re: Framless windows...

But I'll bet the biggest reason to go framed is to support the extra weight of the acoustic side window. The A5 line didn't offer that as an option where the A4 did. So merging the 2 lines together and keeping the acoustic glass option necessitates a framed window.
I doubt it. Tesla has frameless side windows and offer accoustic side glass.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, you guys that own or like these Audi 4-door cars, like the A4/S4, A5/S5, and A6/S6 ...

With the new EV-only cars coming, do you think they are going to keep all those 4-door cars as ICE-only or PHEV?
The new CEO has backed off from the PHEV-only strategy, given the overall softening of the demand in the market. I believe it had been no new ICE models after 2026 and no new ICE sold after 2033, but I don't believe that is their strategy any longer.

I think one of the questions will be whether or not they deprioritized improvements for the B10 gen, believing at the time the ICE market waning faster than it seems to be in reality.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

If had had some experiences with the frameless windows before I bought my A5, I would more than likely got an A4 instead. I have had nothing but problems with the seals on my driver door and alignment. I haven't been able to get Audi or the dealership to look into it, let alone do anything about it.

Framed doors for sure for me!
The following 2 users liked this post by ChicagoNB:
Aviator6 (01-05-2024), lowjdml (01-05-2024)

Quick Reply: 2025 Audi B10 A5 spotted