Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

'21 RS5 Exhaust Valve Unplugged

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '21 RS5 Exhaust Valve Unplugged

The exhaust is way too sedate and quiet for me so I did this same trick I applied to my prior '19 S5.
It was a more noticeable difference and louder sound on the S5 but not so much on the RS5.

Same process to unplug the valve actuator just tight squeeze to get your hands in there.
Has anyone done this long term to determine if this effected anything else?

I noticed the valves are open all the time now but the crackle and pops are gone due to reduced back pressure?
Gonna try this a while and see if I like it.

One plus is you don't hear the valves constantly opening and closing in Dynamic mode if you are driving slow around parking garage.
Some people have pulled the fuse but unplugging it is much easier.

The plug is much shorter than on my S5 so no worries it will dangle too low or get wet if not zip tied down.
I left the plug partly on the actuator so it is not loose and dangling but not plugged all the way in to activate it.

Sounds seems deeper at lower RPMs but not had chance to see difference at higher RPMs or highway speeds.
Has anyone else done this on the RS5 and what has been your experience?

Old 07-13-2022, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pulled the plug on the valves and drove 20 minutes before I couldn't stand the drone. The change in volume was so minute that it was not worth the annoyance of additional droning after already having a res delete.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TheBlackOctopus
Pulled the plug on the valves and drove 20 minutes before I couldn't stand the drone. The change in volume was so minute that it was not worth the annoyance of additional droning after already having a res delete.

my next step is to consider resonator delete (Bull-X). Did you just have exhaust shop cut and weld it or you went Bull-X?
Old 07-13-2022, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,254 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by hkgin
The exhaust is way too sedate and quiet for me so I did this same trick I applied to my prior '19 S5.
It was a more noticeable difference and louder sound on the S5 but not so much on the RS5.

Same process to unplug the valve actuator just tight squeeze to get your hands in there.
Has anyone done this long term to determine if this effected anything else?

I noticed the valves are open all the time now but the crackle and pops are gone due to reduced back pressure?
Gonna try this a while and see if I like it.

One plus is you don't hear the valves constantly opening and closing in Dynamic mode if you are driving slow around parking garage.
Some people have pulled the fuse but unplugging it is much easier.

The plug is much shorter than on my S5 so no worries it will dangle too low or get wet if not zip tied down.
I left the plug partly on the actuator so it is not loose and dangling but not plugged all the way in to activate it.

Sounds seems deeper at lower RPMs but not had chance to see difference at higher RPMs or highway speeds.
Has anyone else done this on the RS5 and what has been your experience?
You can also get Exhaust Valve Simulators: Valve Simulators prevent a "soft code from occurring" when factory exhaust valves are removed or disconnected. These simple devices plug right into the factory harness in place of the exhaust valves and prevents any code from ever being stored in the ECU due to the removal of the exhaust valves. Installation is plug and play and 100% reversible. I don't have the part number for these, should not be too hard to find.

Old 07-13-2022, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the tip! I saw these plugs before but I have OBD Eleven to erase the error codes.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hkgin
my next step is to consider resonator delete (Bull-X). Did you just have exhaust shop cut and weld it or you went Bull-X?
Cut and weld at a reputable shop. They offered 2 for 150 or 3 for 200. Jokes on them, I wanted all 3 off! Pops and crackles were much more pronounced following the delete. I can also be sure that once I have downpipes in, I can put my valves in comfort so that I don't wake my neighbors when I start my car at 5am lol.