Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Adaptive Cruise Control and Traffic Jam Assist

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Control and Traffic Jam Assist

I find the traffic jam assist to be quite helpful in stop and go traffic on the freeway. Is this feature supposed to be a hands free operation? With my lane assist on, I can let go of the wheel and I feel the car does the steering, but after 20 seconds of so, the car alarms me to take control of the wheel.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

You need to keep one hand lightly on the wheel, as you discovered...
Old 12-19-2017, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiS5SB
I find the traffic jam assist to be quite helpful in stop and go traffic on the freeway. Is this feature supposed to be a hands free operation? With my lane assist on, I can let go of the wheel and I feel the car does the steering, but after 20 seconds of so, the car alarms me to take control of the wheel.
No, unfortunately it's not hands free, which renders it somewhat less useful. You even have to actively provide steering input for it to recognize that your hands are on the wheel. I find the current implementation rather useless. It balks at me even if I have my hands on the wheel. I tend to keep a light grip on the wheel if I'm barely moving and that's apparently not enough for the system to recognize that I'm actually holding the wheel.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
No, unfortunately it's not hands free, which renders it somewhat less useful. You even have to actively provide steering input for it to recognize that your hands are on the wheel. I find the current implementation rather useless. It balks at me even if I have my hands on the wheel. I tend to keep a light grip on the wheel if I'm barely moving and that's apparently not enough for the system to recognize that I'm actually holding the wheel.
It's actually looking for some movement or resistance in the the steering from your input. When the message comes up I usually just tap the wheel slightly to the left or right and it resets.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by heisnuts
It's actually looking for some movement or resistance in the the steering from your input. When the message comes up I usually just tap the wheel slightly to the left or right and it resets.
Yep, that's been my observation. But the time is so short that you have to move the steering wheel every 10 seconds or so. so I might as well just do the steering myself.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:08 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

The system isn't intended to drive the car for you but it can keep you out of the ditch in the event of a momentary distraction.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by N8!
The system isn't intended to drive the car for you but it can keep you out of the ditch in the event of a momentary distraction.
I suppose that's true, but in that case the implementation is still weird, because it actively steers the car and it ends up feeling like you are fighting the computer with your steering input. The whole thing is kinda awkward to the point where I just turn off lane assist and keep ACC only.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:19 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I suppose that's true, but in that case the implementation is still weird, because it actively steers the car and it ends up feeling like you are fighting the computer with your steering input. The whole thing is kinda awkward to the point where I just turn off lane assist and keep ACC only.
I use it mostly during stop and go traffic on the freeway. That's where it really shines IMO.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by N8!
I use it mostly during stop and go traffic on the freeway. That's where it really shines IMO.
That's what I mean. That's where it seems most awkward as it orients itself to the cars next you and if a car slightly moves closer to your lane the steering constantly reacts by moving away from that car even if they just slightly moved off their line. Maybe it has to do with the people around here who can't seem to keep their cars centered in the lane in stop and go traffic. The result is that the system constantly bobs the car left to right making minor adjustments that seem unnecessary.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-19-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It pretty much reflects the state of the technology in 2017...somewhat half-baked. I actually find ACC/TJA annoying because it drives like an 80 year old woman. Overbraking, slowing excessively in curves, fidgety with the wheel...

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control and Traffic Jam Assist