Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay

Just thought I would throw my hat into the ring as a supporter of ACP. Before the car arrived it seemed the general consensus on here and the BMW forum was it was a waste. I would like to say I absolutely love it! For me, the ability to have text messages read to me and to answer them with accurate voice dictation is priceless. I also find the Spotify, TuneIn and iHeart apps to be more than functional. The navigation of it all is easy as well.

What would I add? The ability to use Waze (probably the longest of long shots) and possibily move icons around (not that important to me).
Old 01-03-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zoepup
Just thought I would throw my hat into the ring as a supporter of ACP. Before the car arrived it seemed the general consensus on here and the BMW forum was it was a waste. I would like to say I absolutely love it! For me, the ability to have text messages read to me and to answer them with accurate voice dictation is priceless. I also find the Spotify, TuneIn and iHeart apps to be more than functional. The navigation of it all is easy as well.

What would I add? The ability to use Waze (probably the longest of long shots) and possibily move icons around (not that important to me).
Agreed, I think it is great too!

You can move icons around by going into Settings -> General -> CarPlay -> Audi MMI (or whatever you named your car).
Old 01-03-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dereitz
Agreed, I think it is great too!

You can move icons around by going into Settings -> General -> CarPlay -> Audi MMI (or whatever you named your car).
That is good to know. I did not see it in there.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm pretty annoyed with Carplay and ditched it again a couple months back.

I briefly enabled it again recently, noticed a new issue and quickly reverted back to MMI only again. Since then, even the MMI has had some new flaky issues with updating the 'Now Playing' display between tracks. I can't seem to win either way now.

The Bad:
  • Virtual Cockpit 'Now playing' display shows everything as 'Unknown' for Spotify and *almost* everything as 'Unknown' for Pandora.
  • Virtual Cockput 'Phone' display shows a warning message instead of doing something useful.
  • NEW: Virtual Cockpit 'Map' display is stuck on the compass now instead of letting me use the MMI map while Carplay is active on the console display. This seems like a new development in the last few weeks.
  • Can't use steering wheel phone controls in Carplay.
  • Initial connection is flaky when first plugging phone into car, especially if you put the car immediately into reverse/drive before things have fully initialized. I've had to re-enable Carplay on my phone in the Audi Smartphone connection manager three times this week (when i was still using carplay).
  • Carplay display will go to the homescreen if you navigate to a different app on the phone (even if its non-Carplay). Would like to have Carplay showing Spotify on the MMI screen while I use Waze on the phone
  • No Waze support for Carplay. At least I can still get audio alerts from Waze in the background.
  • UI is clunky without an actual touch interface.

The Good:
  • When Carplay starts correctly, Spotify/Pandora startup works much better than bluetooth or USB connection media playback.
  • Ability to control Pandora/Spotify via MMI.
  • Phone notifications on screen
Old 01-03-2018, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had a few glitches here and there when using CarPlay on my iphone but overall i love the functionality of it.

I was using Spotify through ACP but it would about 50% of the time not connect and no music would play. I'd hit play, back or forward and spotify would do nothing. I had to start iTunes and then go back to Spotify and then Spotify would work. I eventually made the switch from Spotify to iTunes (Apple Music) and I haven't had any issues. Though I prefer Spotify, since Apple Music has no issues, I've made the switch.

I'm really enjoying ACP in my coupe.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am still on the fence on ACP - so much potential, but so much frustration.

I get random drops where it unexpectedly switches out of ACP despite still being plugged in. Anyone else with this issue?

-VM
Old 01-05-2018, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ventanaman
I am still on the fence on ACP - so much potential, but so much frustration.

I get random drops where it unexpectedly switches out of ACP despite still being plugged in. Anyone else with this issue?

-VM
Generally, I don't have this issue. I'd recommend trying a new cable. I've had good luck with Anker, which is the Wire Cutter's recommendation:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lightning-cable/
Old 01-05-2018, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dereitz
Generally, I don't have this issue. I'd recommend trying a new cable. I've had good luck with Anker, which is the Wire Cutter's recommendation:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lightning-cable/
Agreed.

I have been using their PowerLine+ line for some time now, and they are definitely my favorite cables.

Unfortunately, still having the occasional drops. Maybe just a bad cable.

-VM
Old 01-05-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mine drops whenever it loses full screen. So proximity sensors, backup cameras, or even low gas prompt. Once it drop it go back to MMI menu and clicking Car Play wouldn't work. Have to go to connection manager and uncheck/check.

Another issue is with the map behaving randomly. I always start the car then plug in the phone. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it zooms out all the way, as in i can see the entire North America!
Sometimes it would centered on the car with my direction facing up. Sometimes it would track the car but north face up. Sometimes it wouldn't track the car at all and the car would move out of the map shown. This is all happening without me changing any settings at all.

I just want it to behave like a normal gps...
Old 01-06-2018, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lbonl
Mine drops whenever it loses full screen. So proximity sensors, backup cameras, or even low gas prompt. Once it drop it go back to MMI menu and clicking Car Play wouldn't work. Have to go to connection manager and uncheck/check.

Another issue is with the map behaving randomly. I always start the car then plug in the phone. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it zooms out all the way, as in i can see the entire North America!
Sometimes it would centered on the car with my direction facing up. Sometimes it would track the car but north face up. Sometimes it wouldn't track the car at all and the car would move out of the map shown. This is all happening without me changing any settings at all.

I just want it to behave like a normal gps...
That would be super annoying! It definitely shouldn't drop like that.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay