Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Auto Hold Button Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by channey13
I went out to Home Depot this morning to get a screwdriver that would work. I was able to access the hole with it, but still unable to get the stupid lever to detach. Sucks, because weather-wise, today is the perfect day to be out there working on this. Without removing the lever, it doesn't make any sense to start routing the wire from the console.

I'm not terribly upset about this, as my primary complaint was having the blank switch cover there. With that installed and illuminated, it'll be just like the Park Assist button I never use.
It's not that tough to get this off -- I stuck a normal screwdriver into the lever and it came right off.

Wire routing without taking off the instrument panels: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dBBZHdHy4bWk1ot99
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
It's not that tough to get this off -- I stuck a normal screwdriver into the lever and it came right off.

Wire routing without taking off the instrument panels: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dBBZHdHy4bWk1ot99
I'm not running the wire and having it dangle like that, plus mine seems to be too short anyway and will barely reach if I run where it's supposed to be. I already pre-measured it and if I go behind the pedals it'll be at least 6 inches too short.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tried again this morning to remove the hood release lever and failed again.

The little tab that needs to be depressed...

Doesn't seem to be present in my car.

My picture is terrible, but when I look at it with a mirror, it looks like there are two tabs that need to be pinched together instead of one tab to be pushed in. There has to be a special tool for that.

Last edited by channey13; 08-31-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

So, I tried a 3rd and final time to remove the hood release lever. I was able to (painfully) contort myself and get a better look at it using a magnifying glass. That little tab that needs to be depressed is simply non-existent on my car and I'm left wondering if the lever isn't held on by some other means.

I'm done attempting this retrofit. I removed the 4Rings wiring harness but left the switch in place and ran a couple of jumpers to the e-brake plug to keep everything illuminated. I ordered the parts, so when I get them I'll make my own little min-harness to make it look cleaner. Meanwhile, if any one else wants to attempt this mod, I can sell them my 4Rings harness and they can source their own switch (part# 4M1927143B). I just need to wait on the replacement pins so I can repair the harness where I made my own modifications to it.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by channey13
So, I tried a 3rd and final time to remove the hood release lever. I was able to (painfully) contort myself and get a better look at it using a magnifying glass. That little tab that needs to be depressed is simply non-existent on my car and I'm left wondering if the lever isn't held on by some other means.

I'm done attempting this retrofit. I removed the 4Rings wiring harness but left the switch in place and ran a couple of jumpers to the e-brake plug to keep everything illuminated. I ordered the parts, so when I get them I'll make my own little min-harness to make it look cleaner. Meanwhile, if any one else wants to attempt this mod, I can sell them my 4Rings harness and they can source their own switch (part# 4M1927143B). I just need to wait on the replacement pins so I can repair the harness where I made my own modifications to it.
Sorry you had problems, I had a lot of difficulty as well, I just poked around with a small screwdriver for awhile, at all angles I could, then pulled hard on the handle and it came off, not sure when I hit the tab to unlock it, but I must have. It did take a lot of force to get it out.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Observations after using Auto Hold for a couple weeks.

I thought I wouldn't use it much, but I have it on all the time now. Seems to make things more consistent with other functions:
  • With Auto Hold on, the Parking Brake always engages when you turn the ignition off. Without Auto Hold, sometimes the Parking Brake engages when you turn the car off, and sometimes it doesn't, depending on how much of a hill you are on (i.e. my driveway). I like knowing the parking brake will automatically be engaged every time.
  • I drive a lot with the Adaptive Cruise Control on, which can automatically stop you in traffic and effectively uses auto hold at that time. With Auto Hold on, I get the same results as ACC if I manually put on the brakes and stop, I know the brakes are on and brakes lights are on.
  • Using it with the Traffic Light info is great, knowing that I won't get a green for 60 seconds or so, I don't have to keep my foot on the brake the whole time.
So I am glad I got it installed, even though it was pretty hard for me, it was worth it.

Rick.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 12:10 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Very compelling reasons to install this (option) that Audi chose not to supply to the US market. I may be way off base here but I wonder if it’s because America is such a litigious nation.

— John
Old 09-01-2019, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Very compelling reasons to install this (option) that Audi chose not to supply to the US market. I may be way off base here but I wonder if it’s because America is such a litigious nation.

— John
I doubt that, other cars have it in the US. Audi will probably bring it back as a "new" feature in a couple of years to entice people into wanting a newer model.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree, I love it.

One more advantage: auto hold prevents the start stop from engaging. Good way to turn this off!

Originally Posted by RickB
Observations after using Auto Hold for a couple weeks.

I thought I wouldn't use it much, but I have it on all the time now. Seems to make things more consistent with other functions:
  • With Auto Hold on, the Parking Brake always engages when you turn the ignition off. Without Auto Hold, sometimes the Parking Brake engages when you turn the car off, and sometimes it doesn't, depending on how much of a hill you are on (i.e. my driveway). I like knowing the parking brake will automatically be engaged every time.
  • I drive a lot with the Adaptive Cruise Control on, which can automatically stop you in traffic and effectively uses auto hold at that time. With Auto Hold on, I get the same results as ACC if I manually put on the brakes and stop, I know the brakes are on and brakes lights are on.
  • Using it with the Traffic Light info is great, knowing that I won't get a green for 60 seconds or so, I don't have to keep my foot on the brake the whole time.
So I am glad I got it installed, even though it was pretty hard for me, it was worth it.

Rick.
The following 2 users liked this post by scoopman:
Nikon1 (09-01-2019), RickB (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 02:52 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
I agree, I love it.

One more advantage: auto hold prevents the start stop from engaging. Good way to turn this off!

Now I’m OFFICIALLY ENVIOUS!!

— John

Quick Reply: Auto Hold Button Installation