Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B9 Coupe and Cabrio Discontinued for 2025

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2024, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have not seen rear seat pictures, but it looks like it should have more headroom from the exterior photos.
Old 07-15-2024, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by mashani9
I have not seen rear seat pictures, but it looks like it should have more headroom from the exterior photos.
Agree, plus there is a reasonable chance they will bring in one or some Avant models to the North American region. Depends on the number crunching, and most importantly, their dealer network.
Old 07-15-2024, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 618 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Agree, plus there is a reasonable chance they will bring in one or some Avant models to the North American region. Depends on the number crunching, and most importantly, their dealer network.
I wonder of they'll bring over the regular avant or if it'll be as an Allroad model. I doubt they'll bring over an avant S5 or RS5 along with the sportback.
Old 07-15-2024, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
The sportback better get a lot more sedan like roof line; the rear headroom in the A5 sportback and A7 sportback is unacceptable as the only vehicle option.
According to the deleted Ars article, B10's headroom is larger than the outgoing Sportback but still not as big as the sedan. I believe it's right in the middle from numbers I've seen thrown around on reddit.
Old 07-15-2024, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTurbanator
According to the deleted Ars article, B10's headroom is larger than the outgoing Sportback but still not as big as the sedan. I believe it's right in the middle from numbers I've seen thrown around on reddit.
Yeah, after seeing the pics in the other thread, it's clearly more a sedan shape with tailgate than the prior sportback with tailgate shape. I really wonder why, it seems an odd compromise except for markets where they simply refuse to just offer the more intelligent wagon body. The sedan with trunk provided a more isolated cabin, ok. The sportback with liftgate provided a more sporty appearance with an improved level of utility (for cargo, not rear passengers). The new one provides a compromise between those two ends, but why, the avant already covers that compromise, with superior utility. Unless it's because they intend to just flatly refuse to provide the avant to a market.
The following users liked this post:
hawkeyedad (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think the "why" started with the 4/6's going electric, and the 5/7's staying gas, and then simply trying to consolidate the number of gas cars into a smaller amount of variants that they think will sell the best to reduce tooling / factory requirements and increase profit margins during the all-electric push (now slightly slowed down, but still a thing).
The following users liked this post:
hawkeyedad (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 660 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
Yeah, after seeing the pics in the other thread, it's clearly more a sedan shape with tailgate than the prior sportback with tailgate shape. I really wonder why, it seems an odd compromise except for markets where they simply refuse to just offer the more intelligent wagon body. The sedan with trunk provided a more isolated cabin, ok. The sportback with liftgate provided a more sporty appearance with an improved level of utility (for cargo, not rear passengers). The new one provides a compromise between those two ends, but why, the avant already covers that compromise, with superior utility. Unless it's because they intend to just flatly refuse to provide the avant to a market.
Looks like they went after the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe style this time around (higher roofline).
Attached Thumbnails B9 Coupe and Cabrio Discontinued for 2025-2025-audi-a5-7-1440x960.jpg   B9 Coupe and Cabrio Discontinued for 2025-2022-bmw-m440i-xdrive-gran-coupe-145-1658867010.jpg  
Old 07-15-2024, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I wonder of they'll bring over the regular avant or if it'll be as an Allroad model. I doubt they'll bring over an avant S5 or RS5 along with the sportback.
I am fairly sure the Allroad is gone. So they may bring over an Avant or two. They did get burnt on bringing over both the B9 RS5 coupe and then the RS5 Sportback, so might be reticent to bring over both versions of the RS, assuming there are actually two versions. They have only ever (per the Oliver Hoffmann interview you referenced earlier) spoken about the RS Avant, which is alway the hero model. Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but the only development mules and camouflaged pre-production versions I've seen of the RS model has been the Avant.

I have no preconceptions on what the S versions will be in terms of drivetrain, it could be anything, and there may be different versions depending on region.
Old 07-15-2024, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Even if their might have been an Allroad, I would have to assume that it would be sacrificed to the SUV gods if the Avant makes it to the NA market.
Old 07-15-2024, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
Default I agree, the RS Avant is the only hope here Glisse...

Originally Posted by Glisse
I am fairly sure the Allroad is gone. So they may bring over an Avant or two. They did get burnt on bringing over both the B9 RS5 coupe and then the RS5 Sportback, so might be reticent to bring over both versions of the RS, assuming there are actually two versions. They have only ever (per the Oliver Hoffmann interview you referenced earlier) spoken about the RS Avant, which is alway the hero model. Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but the only development mules and camouflaged pre-production versions I've seen of the RS model has been the Avant.
Unless they modify the body on the Sportback. I think there was a mention of a delay of up to two years. Anything ICE delayed for two years might never happen.

Quick Reply: B9 Coupe and Cabrio Discontinued for 2025