Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B9 Phone Cradle For Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - Bigger Version For Tall Phones

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 01:56 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 591 Likes on 386 Posts
Default B9 Phone Cradle For Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - Bigger Version For Tall Phones

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: Look here for new lower price version of the cradle
: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...-drop-3038355/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bigger version of my B9 adjustable phone cradle for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay is now available for tall phones.

My original cradle has been available and well liked for a little while (see here) and some users with very large phones would have preferred to see less of the phone sticking out from underneath the armrest. As a result, I’ve made a slightly bigger model with a deeper phone slot for these very tall phones; I've added an extra inch.

To help make sense of what would work best for your phone, here are comparison pictures.

New taller version:

New taller version phone depth:

Original version phone depth:

Side-by-side comparison:

With the original cradle, you can expect a little bit more than 4" of the phone to be recessed under the armrest. The new one increases the depth so a little bit more than 5" disappears under the armrest. Tall phones will fit in either version, it's just a matter of how much of it you want or do not want to stick out.

Because of its size, the taller version costs a bit more to print.

For either one, here’s what’s included:
- Adjustable cradle for phone sizes (including cases): width from 2.4" to 3.6"; thickness from 0.30" to 0.52"
- 12" USB-C cable or Lightning cable
- Mounting screws
- Double-sided tape pads
- Instruction sheet

Here it is in action:

The original model is $100 and the bigger one is $120 and I use PayPal. PM me if interested.

I've attached the mounting and adjustment instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cradle Instructions.pdf (336.3 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by MH62; 07-16-2022 at 11:48 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MH62:
175RLTW (05-10-2020), Bismarck14 (04-22-2020), henryr01 (07-06-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I need to measure my current phone. I have an XS Max with a Defender case. I don't think it will work (but may be getting new phone). Once I have one that fits, I'm in for the convenience.

The new holder also has the slots for the double sided tape?
Old 04-22-2020, 07:48 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman
The new holder also has the slots for the double sided tape?
Yes it does.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:08 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

I have both models back in stock, one of each. PM me if interested.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to say how pleased I am with this cradle. Have a look at the pics. I am using a Huawei Mate 20 Pro. He also found a magnetic USB C cable to install in the cradle so that I just have to slide in the phone and the cable just grabs the phone, it's awesome! Anyways I'm highly impressed with his cradles and highly recommend them. Hopefully the pics provide some help to anyone considering this great addition to our cars.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:07 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 363 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by DenimAvant
Just wanted to say how pleased I am with this cradle. Have a look at the pics. I am using a Huawei Mate 20 Pro. He also found a magnetic USB C cable to install in the cradle so that I just have to slide in the phone and the cable just grabs the phone, it's awesome! Anyways I'm highly impressed with his cradles and highly recommend them. Hopefully the pics provide some help to anyone considering this great addition to our cars.
Which magnetic cable was used? Does it handle data or power only? A data cable would be needed to use CarPlay I think.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:38 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by PWDRSKR
Which magnetic cable was used? Does it handle data or power only? A data cable would be needed to use CarPlay I think.
I used this "charge & sync" cable as it was close to the size of other cables I normally include:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MVCHQH3/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MVCHQH3/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

It's close but not mechanically identical so I had to manually file some parts to make it fit. Because the part that plugs into the phone is not meant to be removed and re-inserted too many times, you pretty much have to start using these cables everywhere else you charge the phone if you decide to go that route.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
I used this "charge & sync" cable as it was close to the size of other cables I normally include: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...c=1&pldnSite=1

It's close but not mechanically identical so I had to manually file some parts to make it fit. Because the part that plugs into the phone is not meant to be removed and re-inserted too many times, you pretty much have to start using these cables everywhere else you charge the phone if you decide to go that route.
It works really well so thanks for making the mods! Android auto works flawlessly using this cable so as mentioned, make sure you have a quality cable. I only use the cable in the car as I'm using wireless charging in the house and at work.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good day MH62!

How "thick" is the mount? I'm thinking of using them in our A7 and SQ5, but the SQ5 folds almost flat on the console.

TIA,
Bob
Old 07-06-2020, 08:47 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by henryr01
Good day MH62!

How "thick" is the mount? I'm thinking of using them in our A7 and SQ5, but the SQ5 folds almost flat on the console.

TIA,
Bob
The cradle takes advantage of the fact that the A5 storage area is not fully enclosed so the phone can be inserted and removed without lifting the armrest. And to avoid interference with the center console, the cradle has a 10 degree tilt to it as shown below:

The grey box above the cradle is a crude representation of the A5 armrest and you can see the phone could not be inserted in the cradle if the storage area was totally enclosed because of the cradle built-in angle.

I'm not familiar with the A7 and SQ5 designs but if this somehow fits, the clearance needed below the armrest at the very back of the cradle is about 1 1/2 inches for the small version of the cradle and 1 3/4 inches for the newer version suitable for the tallest phones.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

You can see here why it is the way it is:

Quick Reply: B9 Phone Cradle For Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - Bigger Version For Tall Phones