Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B9 Phone Cradle For Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - Bigger Version For Tall Phones

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I took inspiration from MH62's improved design and made my own variant a little while back

I used these cables
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HF0YGCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HF0YGCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and notched the rubber in on the sides with a razor blade down to the metal of the USB-C connector. (this was easy to do with a sharp blade, anyone could execute the "mod")

I did it this way so that the plastic piece holding the cable in place does not need to be static loaded on the plug end to hold the cable in the proper position.The model is also set up so that all you have to do is change 3 characteristic dimensions in solid works and it scales to any phone. I will not be offering any kind of service like MH62 is offering, but if he wants to use/riff off this design in any way he is welcome to.

The first version of this holder is in my parent's '18 Allroad and is working great for them (been about 6 months now). It's mounted with VHB tape and we prepped the underside of the armrest using rubbing alcohol to get the adhesive to work right

Old 07-06-2020, 07:01 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 584 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I took inspiration from MH62's improved design and made my own variant a little while back

I used these cables https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and notched the rubber in on the sides with a razor blade down to the metal of the USB-C connector. (this was easy to do with a sharp blade, anyone could execute the "mod")

I did it this way so that the plastic piece holding the cable in place does not need to be static loaded on the plug end to hold the cable in the proper position.The model is also set up so that all you have to do is change 3 characteristic dimensions in solid works and it scales to any phone. I will not be offering any kind of service like MH62 is offering, but if he wants to use/riff off this design in any way he is welcome to.

The first version of this holder is in my parent's '18 Allroad and is working great for them (been about 6 months now). It's mounted with VHB tape and we prepped the underside of the armrest using rubbing alcohol to get the adhesive to work right
Looks good, and anyone who can do the work and customize it for their phone will save money because there are only 2 parts to print. My adjustable one has 7 parts! I guess there's money to be saved as long as you keep your phone longer than your car.

Last edited by MH62; 09-09-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:09 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

I now have parts on-hand to build either size. PM me or email MHPayP@outlook.com if interested.

Easy connection, no wireless issues, and get your phone charged. Here's how I use it:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got around to installing mine. Fits the OnePlus 8 Pro with the OEM sandstone case perfectly. Plenty of adjustment room to spare.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:34 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by Bismarck14
Finally got around to installing mine. Fits the OnePlus 8 Pro with the OEM sandstone case perfectly. Plenty of adjustment room to spare.
Thanks for posting these pictures. It's very useful.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool product. I thought I would post a few pics using the Audi connect cable. It's coiled (to retract) and it has a pivot point at the usb. This should make repeated lifting easier on the cable (in theory I guess). Anyway, here is the install. It's small, but you can see the Audi logo on the usb end. Note, this is the shorter "C" version, not the new longer version.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:39 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by Original1
Very cool product. I thought I would post a few pics using the Audi connect cable. It's coiled (to retract) and it has a pivot point at the usb. This should make repeated lifting easier on the cable (in theory I guess). Anyway, here is the install. It's small, but you can see the Audi logo on the usb end. Note, this is the shorter "C" version, not the new longer version.
It's nice to see you were able to make it work with the Audi cable.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,195 Likes on 930 Posts

Do you have overall width dimensions? Would like to see if this would work on my Q7. It's a split design... Thanks!
Old 10-22-2020, 09:51 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Do you have overall width dimensions? Would like to see if this would work on my Q7. It's a split design... Thanks!
If the Q7 storage area underneath the armrest isn't open at the front like the B9, the cradle won't work as-is because of the cradle's built-in tilt angle. See post #10 above for details.

For overall width, you need to add 0.39" each side to the width of your phone with its case. So add a bit more than 3/4" total to the width of your case.
At its largest setting, the cradle can stretch to 4.4" wide. For smaller phones, the minimum overall width is 3.7".

If you have room but we need to get rid of the tilt angle, let me know.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,195 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
If the Q7 storage area underneath the armrest isn't open at the front like the B9, the cradle won't work as-is because of the cradle's built-in tilt angle. See post #10 above for details.

For overall width, you need to add 0.39" each side to the width of your phone with its case. So add a bit more than 3/4" total to the width of your case.
At its largest setting, the cradle can stretch to 4.4" wide. For smaller phones, the minimum overall width is 3.7".

If you have room but we need to get rid of the tilt angle, let me know.
I don't think it's open like the S5... now that you mention it. Let me take a look. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: B9 Phone Cradle For Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - Bigger Version For Tall Phones