Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B9 RS5 "Style" grill on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hevnsnt
having worked with Chinese manufacturers in the past, it would be best to show them with measuring calipers the difference in distance. Unless you ask with specifics, nothing will get changed. They will continue to stamp those out for years.
As long as people keep buying they keep producing....
Old 11-26-2017, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

They would be foolish to not redesign the product as people will be returning them like clock work.
If they try to sell them without a compatibility guarantee (due to the known issues), very few people will purchase them.
It's a lose lose situation.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
They would be foolish to not redesign the product as people will be returning them like clock work.
If they try to sell them without a compatibility guarantee (due to the known issues), very few people will purchase them.
It's a lose lose situation.
You're exactly right, BUT as was mentioned before the logistics in China are not how we might be used to things here in the US. Someone in China made a mold with the sensor location error and is selling the grills to small shops all over the country who are then maybe selling them to the world. More than likely once it's done it's done, and we will see this same grill for years to come......

I also sent a note to an ebay grill vendor (asianbodykits) who has already modified his listing to mention the sensors will hit the crash bar. My question is if they thought they would be getting the location moved to the factory place. His response was:
Hi,
if we move sensors, i am afraid they will not work properly, because PDC is setup for current position
i think best is to modify oem sensors, i saw on guy in US did that, cut the pdc and glued in different shape

So nice to see he is an Audiworld reader, and good english. I appreciate his reply. The first line is a little salesmanship, and the second line is the reality.

I also did a couple minutes of Audi part number sensor searching. On audipartsusa.com I found that.....
5Q0 919 275C (our factory sensor) replaces 5Q0 919 275A (both of these are straight connector)
5Q0 919 275B replaces 5Q0 919 275 (both of these are right angle connector)

So I'm anxiously awaiting the results of the member who will try the "B" and see if it's recognized. Or a Youtube from Quattrings on surgery to the "C".
Old 11-28-2017, 06:40 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JLoft
You're exactly right, BUT as was mentioned before the logistics in China are not how we might be used to things here in the US. Someone in China made a mold with the sensor location error and is selling the grills to small shops all over the country who are then maybe selling them to the world. More than likely once it's done it's done, and we will see this same grill for years to come......

I also sent a note to an ebay grill vendor (asianbodykits) who has already modified his listing to mention the sensors will hit the crash bar. My question is if they thought they would be getting the location moved to the factory place. His response was:
Hi,
if we move sensors, i am afraid they will not work properly, because PDC is setup for current position
i think best is to modify oem sensors, i saw on guy in US did that, cut the pdc and glued in different shape

So nice to see he is an Audiworld reader, and good english. I appreciate his reply. The first line is a little salesmanship, and the second line is the reality.

I also did a couple minutes of Audi part number sensor searching. On audipartsusa.com I found that.....
5Q0 919 275C (our factory sensor) replaces 5Q0 919 275A (both of these are straight connector)
5Q0 919 275B replaces 5Q0 919 275 (both of these are right angle connector)

So I'm anxiously awaiting the results of the member who will try the "B" and see if it's recognized. Or a Youtube from Quattrings on surgery to the "C".
Without a design change to correct the location of the sensors and make the grille truely 'plug & play,' I personally don't think the bucks-to-benefit ratio is worth all the hassle to install one of these aftermarket grilles - at this point in time.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the same response i got from (Asian Body Kits) as well. The seller is certainly upfront about what's needed and you're probably right, they are at the mercy of the manufacturer as well. I'm leasing so i'm not going to make any non reversible changes to my car or change out the PDC sensors. Looks like i'll be stuck for a while without a honeycomb grill. Maybe i'll just vinyl wrap my grill and sit back and wait to see what happens.

After studying QuattroRings pictures I can see that the PDC sensors need to be moved into that lower section of the grill where the honeycomb is much smaller. There is no way that the PDC sensors are going to fit in those smaller holes and I can't imagine any PDC sensor Audi makes is small enough to fit in those holes at the bottom. You'd have to cut out a few holes in that smaller section and combine them into one and then probably do some other modification and how's that going to look?! Probably not good. More than I want to attempt.

It's too bad, I really like that they just didn't copy the 18' RS5 grill and did it a bit different visually so it's not an exact copy.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great now Quattrings has given all these Chinese vendors hope that it can be done and they read it on this site (no offence quattrings love the look). Sure anything can be done with enough time/money.

Anyways to any vendors out there. I WILL NOT BE BUYING UNTIL THE SENSOR LOCATION IS PLUG AND PLAY. I know I am not alone.

Last edited by steviekallday; 11-28-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

The fact that they wont move the sensors because someone cannibalized 2 sensors and glued them to the other 2 is so ****ing dumb.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
The fact that they wont move the sensors because someone cannibalized 2 sensors and glued them to the other 2 is so ****ing dumb.
Indeed it is unfortunate. My intention was to show others what I did, however Frankenstein-ish it became, but not to see a manufacturer use it as a reason NOT to resolve a major issue. Im just one of those people that never give up and once I get started in a project, I will keep trying until I get the result I want. That should definitely not be used as a reason for a vendor or manufacturer not to do things correctly in the first place. Sorry guys.

---
Old 11-28-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quattrings
Indeed it is unfortunate. My intention was to show others what I did, however Frankenstein-ish it became, but not to see a manufacturer use it as a reason NOT to resolve a major issue. Im just one of those people that never give up and once I get started in a project, I will keep trying until I get the result I want. That should definitely not be used as a reason for a vendor or manufacturer not to do things correctly in the first place. Sorry guys.

---
You have no reason to apologize. You were very transparent with your process and let us know the roadbumps you met along the way. I don't see how you did anything wrong here. I'm very appreciate of the insight that's for sure and will attempt to get the grill on this weekend too.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Quattrings, Don't worry about it you are exactly what this forum needs, you showed us how to take a product that didn't fit and make it work. Thank you for that.

The manufacture needs to sell 100's of these things to recoup cost and turn a worthwhile profit and unless they are redesigned I suspect sells will dry up.
There will be competition soon and he will be forced to redesign or get out of the game.

Quick Reply: B9 RS5 "Style" grill on ebay