Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Back to back testing of Sport Differential

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Back to back testing of Sport Differential

I really like the idea of the Sport Differential but don't know if it will make a difference in my use cases. I don't expect to track the car or to take curves at high speed but what I hope is that it will make the car rotate when I turn at an intersection while accelerating (some what) aggressively.

Anyone test drive a S5 with and w/o the Sport Differential back to back? Did you fell a difference?
Old 12-20-2017, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
what I hope is that it will make the car rotate when I turn at an intersection while accelerating (some what) aggressively.
It will. You have to be pretty aggressive. It feels good though.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Yes, it will as long as you have it set to 'dynamic'. The effects of the sport differential forcing more torque to the rear outside wheel has the effect of pushing the car into the turn. The more throttle you apply, the more the car rotates. This is known as throttle steering and is what sets an RWD car apart from a FWD car. It induces power oversteer/rotation. So, instead of making adjustments with the steering wheel, you can fine tune your turning radius with the throttle.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

The rear sport diff is a must. You get a lot of understeer with the non-sport diff. The Dynamic Steering works in conjunction with the rear diff and it really makes a difference.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I will test drive one soon and was hoping I could fell the difference it makes.

If you set it to comfort, does this effect you are felling is completely eliminated? Do you have a scenario that makes the effect more evident?

Last edited by Yoshimura; 12-21-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I will test drive one soon and was hoping I could fell the difference it makes.

If you set it to comfort, does this effect you are felling is completely eliminated? Do you have a scenario that makes the effect more evident?
The following is a good article to understand how all these systems work together and what the different Drive Select modes do for the sport differential etc. The sport differential is always active, but in 'comfort' mode it prioritize stability and safety and dampens the typical load reversals that occur when lifting off the throttle or braking in a corner. While you can't feel the rotation in 'comfort' mode much, you can feel that the car is more stable around corners when lifting off the throttle for example.

https://www.audiworld.com/articles/q...ism-redefined/
Old 12-21-2017, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
The following is a good article to understand how all these systems work together and what the different Drive Select modes do for the sport differential etc. The sport differential is always active, but in 'comfort' mode it prioritize stability and safety and dampens the typical load reversals that occur when lifting off the throttle or braking in a corner. While you can't feel the rotation in 'comfort' mode much, you can feel that the car is more stable around corners when lifting off the throttle for example.

https://www.audiworld.com/articles/q...ism-redefined/
Yeah, I read everything I could find on it. But as a 1900 CAD option, I will need to feel it before checking that box.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, I read everything I could find on it. But as a 1900 CAD option, I will need to feel it before checking that box.
The best way is to probably find some good corners and then take the same corner in the different modes. To be honest, though, I really only discovered how good the sport differential is after owning the car for a while and drive it in various situations and in different modes. It's always hard to get a good feel for a new car that you have never driven before during a short dealer test drive. I've personally given up on regular test drives and I try to find the car through local car sharing services and really take it out for a spin w/o the sales person sitting next to me or feeling guilty about beating on a brand new car. For example we have Audi on Demand here in the San Francisco Bay Area through which I can rent anything from an A3 to the R8 Spyder. We also have Getaround, which is like AirBnb, but for cars. I'm kinda in the market for my next car, so I've been driving different new Audi models through Audi on Demand. I'm waiting for them to get the new RS5 and I have driven an M4 and C63 S through Getaround. Not sure what your options are up there.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
The best way is to probably find some good corners and then take the same corner in the different modes. To be honest, though, I really only discovered how good the sport differential is after owning the car for a while and drive it in various situations and in different modes. It's always hard to get a good feel for a new car that you have never driven before during a short dealer test drive. I've personally given up on regular test drives and I try to find the car through local car sharing services and really take it out for a spin w/o the sales person sitting next to me or feeling guilty about beating on a brand new car. For example we have Audi on Demand here in the San Francisco Bay Area through which I can rent anything from an A3 to the R8 Spyder. We also have Getaround, which is like AirBnb, but for cars. I'm kinda in the market for my next car, so I've been driving different new Audi models through Audi on Demand. I'm waiting for them to get the new RS5 and I have driven an M4 and C63 S through Getaround. Not sure what your options are up there.
Good advices. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in this as well for someone who has driven it back to back.

Quick Reply: Back to back testing of Sport Differential