Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Basser box: JL subwoofer alternative

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Basser box: JL subwoofer alternative

I spent hours reading all the posts on this forum about the S5/B9 audio upgrades. I like what I read from Bruce and Bobby so i purchased hertz tweeters, Peerless mids, and a Basser box. I noticed everybody's go to subwoofer was the JL audio so I was just about to pull the trigger on the $225 sub because when I worked in Car Stereo installation back in 2001-2003, I loved JL audio. I looked at many alternatives and almost nobody had a sub that would be perfect for the BASSER 15L volume box and comparable to the JL specs. That was until I started searching the German websites!

I have found the Hertz CS 250 S2 to be nearly identical to the JL audio but maybe a tiny fraction more sensitivity. The best part was that it is HALF the price as the JL audio at €140 euro and a grill for €25 euro.

Has anybody tried these or heard them yet? I dont have the car to install it in yet but will hopefully very soon.

https://hertz-audio.com/product/cs-250-s2/

Last edited by Volvo_Expert; 05-19-2024 at 08:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bobby Kinstle (05-19-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 152 Likes on 97 Posts

I've been running my JL for about 2 years. When it was new before it was broken in, it would clip from time to time. Now that it's broken in, the thing really sings. I'd be interested in hearing a Hertz in the same box

Also, where are you finding them for 140 Euro? Here in the states, Crutchfield sells them for $250 plus tax/shipping where as the JL 10W1v3-2 sells for $230.

-DL

Old 05-14-2024, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 618 Likes on 445 Posts

The JL 10TW3v3 is recommended for a 14.7L box which is pretty close to the Basser's 15L.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I also am running the Basser with the JL as far as the amp I use the Kicker 46CXA4001 CXA4001-400-Watt Mono Class D Subwoofer Amp.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lensch09
Also, where are you finding them for 140 Euro? Here in the states, Crutchfield sells them for $250 plus tax/shipping where as the JL 10W1v3-2 sells for $230.
Sorry, I just realized they're expensive in the USA. This is where I ordered my basser box and the sub+grill. https://maxxcount.de/hertz-cs-250-s2...-et-115mm.html

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
The JL 10TW3v3 is recommended for a 14.7L box which is pretty close to the Basser's 15L.
Have you looked at Hertz specs that I linked? The difference in sealed box size requirement is negligible.
JL audio = .55 cubic feet
Hertz = .57 cubic feet.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Volvo_Expert
Sorry, I just realized they're expensive in the USA. This is where I ordered my basser box and the sub+grill. https://maxxcount.de/hertz-cs-250-s2...-et-115mm.html

Have you looked at Hertz specs that I linked? The difference in sealed box size requirement is negligible.
JL audio = .55 cubic feet
Hertz = .57 cubic feet.
Yes, Hertz and Audison (same Italian parent company) are both better priced in continental Europe than they are in the US. Conversely, JL goes the other way.

I am in the process of putting the big brother of the Hertz CS 250 S2 in a Basser box, and that is the MPS 250 S2. Which is a very similar design to the JL 10TW3-D4, which is what I suspect John English was referring to. The JL TW3 will not fit in the Basser box unless I read the specs wrong (it is too wide), and whilst the JL TW3 and the Hertz MPS 250 S2 are around the same price in the US, in Europe the JL TW3 is substantially more expensive than the US price, and the MPS 250 is substantially less ( it is €319 at Maxxcount, although I bought locally).

The Hertz MPS 250 S2 required some slight mods to the Basser box, it was 1mm wider than the mounting pole which was easy to correct, but it only fits in one specific orientation within about 30° of latitude. These designs have very wide spiders, and the Basser box for the Sportback has an angled wall on the left hand side of the opening which is an issue for subs like the TW3 and MPS 250 which have very wide spiders.

Still, not an issue with the CS 250 S2, which will fit without any issues. It is certainly much better value than JL in Europe, and Masori in Germany have typical JL prices. I doubt whether there would be a huge difference in performance vs a JL 10W1v3-2, at almost double the price.
The following users liked this post:
jl226ca (05-29-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 618 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
The Hertz MPS 250 S2 required some slight mods to the Basser box, it was 1mm wider than the mounting pole which was easy to correct, but it only fits in one specific orientation within about 30° of latitude. These designs have very wide spiders, and the Basser box for the Sportback has an angled wall on the left hand side of the opening which is an issue for subs like the TW3 and MPS 250 which have very wide spiders.
Could you explain the modifications you needed to make or do you have photos? The MPS 250 is about $200 - $250 cheaper than the JL 10TW3 in my area so it seems like a really nice alternative.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Could you explain the modifications you needed to make or do you have photos? The MPS 250 is about $200 - $250 cheaper than the JL 10TW3 in my area so it seems like a really nice alternative.
I would go with the CS 250 like the one I bought because there are numerous reports that shallow mount subs just dont hit as hard as traditional. The CS sub is far cheaper and doesnt require modifications to fit.

Last edited by Volvo_Expert; 05-18-2024 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

It is not just cost, the JL 10TW3 requires a much wider opening than the Basser box's 231mm, and the vertical basket (straight) just won't fit inside the box. The JL 10TW1 will fit, but it doesn't seem to be any better than the JL 10W1v3 that most people have used, yet costs quite a bit more. The Basser enclosure is also too large for the 10TW1, and that is a low efficiency driver - you really need two of those. And it seems there is a large jump in quality between JL's W1 and W3 series.

I was not sure the Hertz MPS 250 S2 would fit, knew it would be close.

As mentioned, just needs a slight widening of the opening - the MPS250 is about 1.5mm wider. I could have forced it in, but humidity still fairly low here and didn't want any issues down the track. Took 15 minutes with a Dremel to take off a fairly small amount, could be done by hand easily enough. Per photos below, the wide basket and prominent cable connectors means the sub can only be positioned in one orientation to get it in. But it fits. I m waiting on Bruce's sub cable and the amp to arrive, so will probably be a week or so before I have it playing.

Contrary to the other bloke's view, these TW3 and MPS (which is clearly designed off JL's expired patents) designes will work well in a 15 litre enclosure, as you noted. They are specifically designed to do so - they have very wide spiders to cope with the huge excursion needed, and produce lower distortion due to the design.

The other aspect I like is it has a very high natural rolloff due to the voice coil design. I don't know what low pass order the B&O DSP is using on the subwoofer channel, but I don't want a sub that is going to conflict with the front door bass units, and end up with a muddy sound. I only just put in the Aurum Cantus AC165 units, which I got from Bruce Miranda, and they have profoundly improved bass response. I some ways, enough. Unfortunately, I have now fallen too deeply into the rabbit hole, and may as well keep going...

The following 2 users liked this post by Glisse:
JohnEnglish (05-17-2024), Nikon1 (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse

Contrary to the other bloke's view, these TW3 and MPS (which is clearly designed off JL's expired patents) designes will work well in a 15 litre enclosure, as you noted. They are specifically designed to do so - they have very wide spiders to cope with the huge excursion needed, and produce lower distortion due to the design.
Look up and compare xmax. Since the whole thing is so shallow, the voice coil can only move so much. This usually results in lower output overall compared to a standard sub with larger voice coil. Not saying it’s true for the MPS ( Xmax mm 16,8) vs CS ( Xmax mm 12,5) but speaking generally. The MPS actually has great Xmax but twice the price as the CS.

And that crooked subwoofer mount would destroy my OCD in a classy car.

Last edited by Volvo_Expert; 05-17-2024 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Basser box: JL subwoofer alternative