Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Brakes @ 29K??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Could be a warped rotor.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup well noted in other posts
Old 10-30-2018, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by luder888
On a different note. Anyone else's brakes squeal? It just started getting cooler and I had my windows down and they squeal as I come to a stop. 7500 miles.
Yeah they do until they warm up. It sounds horrible pulling up to a light in the morning.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to highjack your post OP, but I drive an S5 SB B9, and my brake sensor went off recently. I'm at around 26-27k miles. Does anyone think this is around the range for a change in my brakes?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Brake life is very dependent on how you drive and if you are doing any track days. For normal street (spirited!) driving I think that 27K is a bit too early. By comparision, I have 35K on my S7 and the fronts were just measured at 7mm, they are 10mm as new. No track days but my car sees a fair amount of time at 85+ MPH with some moderately spirited driving.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update: The day before I went in for the 30K service last Friday I tried the suggestion provided here by SCarGuy to re-bed the brakes by performing severe deceleration a few times in a row and the "pulsing" I had when the brakes were wet has apparently disappeared. And on Friday the dealer confirmed my brakes look good and have 7mm left (of the new 11mm depth). Although I am doing mostly highway miles, I have been driving more spirited and likely using my brakes more often than I realized. I should be able to get to ~60K on these original brakes if my driving style continues...
Old 11-05-2018, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
The system should then be allowed to cool, by driving the vehicle at the highest safe speed for the circumstances, without bringing it to a complete stop with the brakes still applied.
Did I read this read, the bed in procedure calls for driving the car as fast as possible with the brakes applied, that doesn't sound right. A fast build up of heat in the pads and rotors can cause the rotor to warp and the pads to glaze up. In fact, different pad manufacturers recommend different bed in procedures.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=85

Last edited by The G Man; 11-05-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
On a different note. Anyone else's brakes squeal? It just started getting cooler and I had my windows down and they squeal as I come to a stop. 7500 miles.
Yup! When it gets cooler, the brakes squeal until they warm up.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Did I read this read, the bed in procedure calls for driving the car as fast as possible with the brakes applied, that doesn't sound right. A fast build up of heat in the pads and rotors can cause the rotor to warp and the pads to glaze up. In fact, different pad manufacturers recommend different bed in procedures.

no it asks to make a stops in succession from 60 to 10 mph, not ride the brakes at speed.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man

it is virtually impossible to truly warp a rotor.....they are cast iron. The brake pad in a street car can't deal with the type of heat that would be needed to truly warp the rotor.

What happens 9 times out of 10, is the pads leave small deposits on the face of the rotor....and because you're not on the brakes that hard, those deposits don't get burned off. Like little moguls on a ski slope

Every single manufacturer of street organic or metal mix pads (which is what Audi uses) will suggest something extremely similar to what I linked. Where things differ is brands that use ceramic...those can't really deal with a ton of heat in the first place. They dust low (and their bite kinda stinks), but they don't have nearly the feel or consistency that the other compounds, and those similar to what Audi uses, can give you.

Quick Reply: Brakes @ 29K??