Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Can you permanently turn off auto start stop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you permanently turn off auto start stop?

What other settings can be tweaked permanently?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

See this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...018-a-2954987/
Old 12-13-2018, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you want to turn it off? A couple of my friends also have newer Audis with that system and they constantly complain about it. I, on the other hand, trained my feet and I'm very happy with the system because I do mostly city driving when I know I'm gonna be sitting on a red I press firmer and system gets activated instantly when I know the light will change quickly I press softer it became natural now like driving a stick. When my car was in the paint shop I got a jeep with that system It was horrible it would activate the minute you press the brake pedal firm or soft the system would be on. Now that would be something to complain about.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Just drive in S. Stop/Start is off.
The following 2 users liked this post by CtheW0rld:
Lookout57 (05-16-2022), SolventSolution (05-17-2022)
Old 12-14-2018, 02:25 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Or, train-your-brain, that as soon as your finger is pulling back from pressing the “Start /Stop” button, it goes to the disable the “Auto Start/Stop” button and presses that to disable the *** system.

It took me a couple of weeks but it’s a muscle memory now.
The following users liked this post:
HeathK (04-09-2022)
Old 12-14-2018, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TH3PERFECTON3
Why do you want to turn it off? A couple of my friends also have newer Audis with that system and they constantly complain about it. I, on the other hand, trained my feet and I'm very happy with the system because I do mostly city driving when I know I'm gonna be sitting on a red I press firmer and system gets activated instantly when I know the light will change quickly I press softer it became natural now like driving a stick. When my car was in the paint shop I got a jeep with that system It was horrible it would activate the minute you press the brake pedal firm or soft the system would be on. Now that would be something to complain about.
Because often times the engine stops before the car comes to a complete stop leading to a very jerky stop.
The following 3 users liked this post by Slides:
HeathK (04-09-2022), MGStage2 (10-03-2020), Trevor K (05-26-2024)
Old 12-14-2018, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, I don't even have the car yet but since it's my wife's car, I would like to keep it as similar to her current Audi (06 A6q) as possible at least in the beginning. She is a 'routine' person and if she needs to change her driving habit to accommodate the car then we'll have issues. She did not complain during the test drive but all it's going to take is one time for the system to misbehave and we'll have drama.

p.s. Doesn't the constant on/off put extra wear on the starter and/or the engine internals? Does the oil pressure stay up while the car is off?
Old 12-14-2018, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thx

Originally Posted by heymoe
I did read that thread already and I did look in the spreadsheet, I did not notice anything about the auto-start.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Costasz
I did read that thread already and I did look in the spreadsheet, I did not notice anything about the auto-start.
I'm not sure if it's in the thread or the spreadsheet, there is an OBD11 settings that will disable *** anytime the AC is on (100% of the time vs. variability). I don't have the reference handy, but hopefully searching down that path will get you your answer.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Costasz
Oh, I don't even have the car yet but since it's my wife's car, I would like to keep it as similar to her current Audi (06 A6q) as possible at least in the beginning. She is a 'routine' person and if she needs to change her driving habit to accommodate the car then we'll have issues. She did not complain during the test drive but all it's going to take is one time for the system to misbehave and we'll have drama.

p.s. Doesn't the constant on/off put extra wear on the starter and/or the engine internals? Does the oil pressure stay up while the car is off?
First car with the auto start stop, A.S.S.? Welcome to the new world. Give your wife some credit, she might actually like the *** system. Anyway, its better for her to complain about the car than to complain about you If it turns out she does not like the ***, just have her push the button to shut it off, is that too much out of her routine for her?

Quick Reply: Can you permanently turn off auto start stop?