Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Can you permanently turn off auto start stop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:41 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
No - And welcome to the US Governments "Nanny State Rules" where, in order to meet Govt. Rules, we have to manually push a button to disable the *** "feature" that give (potentially) better gas mileage. Don't Blame Audi - blame your elected officials and the bureaucratic regulations they enact.

Truthfully AutoStop has nothing to do with fuel efficiency - it is all about CO emissions. If the engine is off during stops, it can't pollute the air.

Even if this is a small amount, the number of vehicles with AutoStop makes a significant impact.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I have grown to like the *** in most situations. Especially now that the weather is cooler if I'm at the In-N-Out drive-thru I appreciate that the engine stops when I'm waiting in line for 10 minutes.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi could have played the game where they complied but still allow some 'coding' at the dealer to permanently disable it. Same goes for presense nonsense.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 550 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Costasz
Audi could have played the game where they complied but still allow some 'coding' at the dealer to permanently disable it. Same goes for presense nonsense.
Following Dieselgate, I can understand why they would not want to be seen as providing tacit approval for a hack that will reduce mpg and increase emissions. I agree about the non-defeatable Pre-sense nanny though.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BMW dealer use to shut off *** at customers request, for some reason, they stop doing it.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I push the off button on the dash of my C7 A6 the auto stop/start stays disengaged.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TH3PERFECTON3
Why do you want to turn it off? A couple of my friends also have newer Audis with that system and they constantly complain about it. I, on the other hand, trained my feet and I'm very happy with the system because I do mostly city driving when I know I'm gonna be sitting on a red I press firmer and system gets activated instantly when I know the light will change quickly I press softer it became natural now like driving a stick. When my car was in the paint shop I got a jeep with that system It was horrible it would activate the minute you press the brake pedal firm or soft the system would be on. Now that would be something to complain about.
...Hi there! I have my own reason to do away with that feature after only several days' of 2018 Audi ownership. I'm new to the Audi club and to the auto start/stop feature altogether, but I'll tell you exactly why I am vehemently looking to permanently disable it in the car I just bought: it's going to kill me or my passenger. When I was test driving it with the salesperson in the passenger seat several days ago, I attempted to turn left across a break in heavy traffic but I had no go at all. And since I was on a slight decline, the car simply rolled slowly into the pathway of the oncoming cars. It was terrifying, especially because I couldn't understand what had happened or how to fix it. I tried starting from first gear several times but there was no go at all and I was just camping out in the pathway of rush hour traffic. Thankfully, the oncoming cars stopped for me or else my passenger would have been injured or worse. On maybe my fourth attempt to gas it from first gear, the car simply...went. As if nothing had just happened. And I had no idea what the hell actually had just happened. I concluded (with suspicion) that I had attempted starting from 3rd gear instead of 1st and stalled the engine, which would be a typical mistake driving a different manual transmission car for the first time, but even still, I couldn't figure out why the car had started itself- which made no sense to me at all. Otherwise, the car was pristine with fewer than 40k miles and I had myself convinced I had made an error, so I bought it. Then the no-go happened again the next day!!! By this point, I was aware that this car has the auto start-stop feature and I immediately connected the dots. The car was failing to start up when I released the clutch. It worked fine most of the time, but if it fails once (or twice, in my case) I can't trust it anymore. This feature is going to kill someone and I'm surprised it hasn't already. I am actively in the process of seeking out a way to permanently disable the feature and your comment was the first one I happened upon. Anyway, cheers! I love the car otherwise so far. I haven't had another incident since I began manually disabling the feature each time I get in the car.
Old 12-23-2021, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,254 Likes on 774 Posts

If you install this (***) kill switch, you will never have to remember to press the switch on the dash, it engages when you start the car. Simple install, might take 10 minutes, 2 small tools included to unlock the bank of switches in front of the shifter. My unit has not failed to engage in two years, "kiss your (***) goodbye forever." Just do a search for {***) kill switch, you'll find numerous places to purchase, but spell (***) rather than using the acronym. Cost less than $50. I would not own the B9 without this switch, that is how much I dislike (***).

Last edited by synergize; 12-23-2021 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ykrboy (06-13-2022)
Old 12-23-2021, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 660 Likes on 428 Posts

Doesn't coding it to "off" with OBDeleven work?
Old 12-23-2021, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,254 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Doesn't coding it to "off" with OBDeleven work?
Yes it will, but it turns the AC on to do so. Placing the car in Sport Mode will also shutoff (***).

Last edited by synergize; 12-23-2021 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Can you permanently turn off auto start stop?