Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 2018 model year and up

Chrome Mirror Caps Retrofit - A5

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Chrome Mirror Caps Retrofit - A5

Hey folks - I was reading up on a few sites how to do this mod (specifically removing the mirror glass safely) and if that was actually required. I can confirm that you do indeed need to remove the mirror glass to access two screws that hold the caps in place. If you try to simply pry the caps off as might work for other B9 models, you’re breaking stuff. To be clear, my A5 is a 2019 with a Blind Spot Assist and auto dimming. Here’s my quick walk-through. It’s an easy mod. Usual caution - all mods are at your own risk - any damage or problems caused by attempting this mod are strictly your own. These mirror caps were purchased from AliExpress - pretty affordable and decent quality. I’m finding that more and more stuff for our Audis comes from China - these were clearly not made in the same factory but some stuff on the site clearly is OEM even thought they don’t call it that.

Start with removing the mirror glass - this seems scary but isn’t too bad with proper spudge / wedge tools. If you don’t have a decent set of these, get some (Amazon has all sorts of options) - you’ll use them a ton for mods. First, raise the mirror glass up as high as it goes for easy access to the bottom edge of the mirror glass.

Raise the mirror up first

Then use a wide spudger or wedge tool to pop out the bottom of the mirror glass - I found a quick decisive movement was better than a slow one as the motor and mount for the glass has some movement you need to overcome.

Then once the bottom has pooped out, use the mirror adjustment motor to drop it dow as far as it will go and pop out the top - be careful to hold onto the glass (mine was held by wires in two places so could not just drop on the floor when loose - yours may be different - you may need to pop it from the leading and trailing edges carefully to get it completely free). This pic shows the heating wires (left) and the auto dimming wires (right).

Detach the wires carefully and set aside the mirror glass (note the polarity of the heating wires). There are two T10 screws which hold the mirror caps in place (along with a couple clips) although there are more screws of the same size. I have pictured the two necessary ones below (one with the T10 on it and one partly removed). If you look at the replacement mirror caps you can see the ‘tubes’ where these two screws are secured.

You then need to use your plastic pry tools to separate the mirror cap from the black plastic frame (trailing edge of the mirror). It took a good twist once I got the tool into the gap to pop it free - again, take your time and work both the outer and inner edges. Once it pops out from the black frame, you can get it free from the clips by pushing the mirror cap toward the front of the car. I found the best place for this manoeuvre was at the outside edge right above the turn indicator. As my car has the blind spot indicator, the mirror cap was still attached to the car by the wiring harness to the indicator light. Remove the indicator light by squeezing the large tab and pushing it out from the inside.

Install of the new caps is the reverse of removal. Install the blind spot light and wiring. Put the cap in place and give it a firm push to engage the clips. Secure with the two screws you removed. Connect the heating and auto dimming wires and make sure that the two plastic ‘arms’ on the mirror glass go into the metal clips inside the housing. Once in place, give the glass a firm push with the palm of your hand to reconnect it to the motor (push from the centre of the glass). Check that it adjusts as usual and you’re done.

Here’s the schematic from Audi of the mirror assembly.

Last edited by Jimrok123; 03-04-2021 at 05:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
frybear (06-26-2022)