Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

CNET First Drive Review 2023 Audi RS5 Competition

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree, it is a consistent and honest assessment - it was the same conclusion that I had when I tested my A4 Allroad vs the C300/C43 wagons available here in Canada. The A4 was the better daily, the C300 had more style, and the C43 had the emotion but suffered elsewhere (build quality, ride quality, practicality).
Old 12-08-2022, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Throttle House has been consistent in describing the Audis they tested as a bit reserved, and not liking being pushed to the limit. That it provides less theatricality/emotionality (heh) than the competition. S4/A4/Other Audi reviews from them bar the RS6 say the same (and even then the RS6 loses to the E63 AMG for hoonery/excitement in that comparo).
Describing a car as "a bit reserved" versus "generally the RS badge hasn't been enough often times to justify the price premium over the S badge" (at 2:33 of their video) are completely different. It's the first time I've heard them make that strong of a statement about an Audi RS product. That opinion seems to be one they've held for a while so I question why it took 5+ years after the B9 model to come out to make it.

Edit: I watch a fair amount of auto reviews on Youtube, particularly for Audis. You name it and I've probably seen it. I prefer for auto reviewers to be honest with their viewers and not sugar coat (or gloss) things. And I can tell the ones who sugar coat things to not upset their supply chain of demos and previews. From my experience reviewers who straddle the line are inconsistent and thus viewers never know what they're getting with them.

Last edited by Lord XL; 12-08-2022 at 10:25 AM. Reason: more words.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lord XL:
JD15 (12-09-2022), SloopJohnB@mac.com (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 525 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by AA!
So here is why I actually like Audis from the factory over BMW M, M lite (m340i) and AMG's, and I have driven them extensively. Day to Day, Audi's are more comfortable. I don't track my car and do enough driving on not the greatest roads that really appreciate a less jarring ride. And day to day, in traffic, even on country roads, you would be hard pressed to notice a big difference in performance between an s5/4 and M340i/C43 (previous gen not the new 4 cyl ones) without driving like a lunatic on public roads. Just my two cents.
Turns out, most Europeans agree with you. Audi's RS cars outsold AMG, M and Quadrifoglio:

https://www.motor1.com/news/598576/a...ormance-sales/

Old 12-09-2022, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 550 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord XL
Edit: I watch a fair amount of auto reviews on Youtube, particularly for Audis. You name it and I've probably seen it. I prefer for auto reviewers to be honest with their viewers and not sugar coat (or gloss) things. And I can tell the ones who sugar coat things to not upset their supply chain of demos and previews. From my experience reviewers who straddle the line are inconsistent and thus viewers never know what they're getting with them.
That's why Savagegeese is my favorite reviewer on Youtube. Mark and Jack aren't afraid to rip vehicles deserving of criticism, though it may be detrimental to their relationships with suppliers. At least with them, it's clear that they are ambivalent about Audis because they find them practical as daily drivers, but relatively soulless and boring.