Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

Hey all,

I did an oil change on my 2019 RS5 last week. Don't have an oil extractor so did it the old fashioned way from the drain pan. Good thing I did, as I noticed a few drops of coolant on the underbody splash guard.

Wasn't obvious where it came from, so used an inspection mirror and borescope to locate it. It's just under the metal charge air pipe at the front of the engine.

There is quite a bit of dried up coolant residue so it's probably been leaking there for a while. It is hard to tell exactly but based on this image I found online I believe it's from around here:

There hasn't been any low coolant alarms. When I checked the reservoir the float was a little below minimum. I added about 10oz/300mL of G13 to get it to max. Over the last week or so of driving it doesn't seem to have lost any coolant.

It was in at the dealership for warranty work (wheel bearing) about 4 months / 3,500km ago and they had done a multi-pt inspection, marking coolant level as OK.

Anyone had any similar issues with their RS5? My warranty is up in 3 weeks and appointments at the dealer are booked until close to then..so a little bit concerned. I will probably do a pressure test. I can definitely remove the air intake pipe going into the turbos, but anyone have any tips removing the black plastic or metal charge air pipes below that?
Old 02-05-2023, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My B9 A5 threw a CEL several weeks ago, which revealed a small coolant leak from the thermostat. Luckily it was covered under platinum extended warranty (approx $1600 repair).
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (02-05-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 543 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by ausphil

Anyone had any similar issues with their RS5? My warranty is up in 3 weeks and appointments at the dealer are booked until close to then..so a little bit concerned. I will probably do a pressure test. I can definitely remove the air intake pipe going into the turbos, but anyone have any tips removing the black plastic or metal charge air pipes below that?
I would book an appointment ASAP, as opposed to waiting and diagnosing yourself, and let the dealership know that your car seems to be leaking coolant and your warranty is expiring in three weeks, so you need an appointment before that time.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,193 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I would book an appointment ASAP, as opposed to waiting and diagnosing yourself, and let the dealership know that your car seems to be leaking coolant and your warranty is expiring in three weeks, so you need an appointment before that time.
most dealerships (if not scumbags) will honor an issue that is documented within warranty if it's brought up within the warranty period even if you cannot get an appointment within the car's warranty period due to service availability. at least this is what I have seen happen for me, Audi Nashua has always helped me out in situations like this....
The following 2 users liked this post by mhoran89:
ausphil (02-08-2023), ShiftyWolf (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 543 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
most dealerships (if not scumbags) will honor an issue that is documented within warranty if it's brought up within the warranty period even if you cannot get an appointment within the car's warranty period due to service availability. at least this is what I have seen happen for me, Audi Nashua has always helped me out in situations like this....
That is likely the case at many dealerships, but I have dealt with some shady dealerships and I always prefer to avoid having to rely on their integrity. It doesn't seem like the OP has anything to lose by scheduling an appointment now.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,193 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
That is likely the case at many dealerships, but I have dealt with some shady dealerships and I always prefer to avoid having to rely on their integrity. It doesn't seem like the OP has anything to lose by scheduling an appointment now.
correct. what I would also do is advise the OP e-mail the dealership and see if they can get something in writing...
Old 02-06-2023, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
correct. what I would also do is advise the OP e-mail the dealership and see if they can get something in writing...
Very much like: "Trust, but verify". Definitely try and get it in writing.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a very small coolant leak and have heard others with the same issue.

Mine needs about 100ml every few months
Noticed it when at 4 years old the alarm went off and it was on the minimum mark. Guessing it's been like this since new.

I got some illuminous leak detection dye and couldn't spot anything.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,248 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Drives
I have a very small coolant leak and have heard others with the same issue.

Mine needs about 100ml every few months
Noticed it when at 4 years old the alarm went off and it was on the minimum mark. Guessing it's been like this since new.

I got some illuminous leak detection dye and couldn't spot anything.

I don't have any leaks, but my S5 takes about 2 ounces of anti-juice once a year!
Old 02-07-2023, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
I don't have any leaks, but my S5 takes about 2 ounces of anti-juice once a year!
I think this is normal

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak