Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Dealer strip two of the nuts on my rear license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dealer strip two of the nuts on my rear license plate holder

Those Audi rear license plate holder is a terrible design, the nut is held onto with thin plastics that is easily stripped if the dealer use a power screw driver on it. I just found two of the nuts were stripped on my one week old car, off to the dealer to get it repair. I understand this is a common problem with Audi for a while and there is a TSB out there to address this problem.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Just had this issue last week and got into it with my dealer. Very disappointed that they refused to replace the bracket under warranty, but they did pull it into their service bay free of charge to epoxy some sort of nut/tap solution to be able to reattach the plate with a screw. I backed the screw partly out and it seems like it will hold, but I am afraid to take the plate off completely for fear of what I might find.

Some good news: when I got home I searched online and it looks like you can buy OEM replacement brackets for about $40. I may order one just to have it on hand for when the other three corners inevitably strip.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-.../8w58271139b9/

What does the TSB say? Do you have a number or a work order you can share? If so that'd be great, I may revisit this with my dealer with that as leverage before buying the part above.
The following users liked this post:
LuisPQ5 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I just get back from the dealer, they replace the whole holder for free, they said it is a common problem with the holder's design. They gave me a different holder that will not have the same issue, its a bit thicker than the original, must have been the holder for another Audi model.

Sorry, I do not have the TSB #, Audi USA knows about the problem but they refuse to cover it under warranty. I guess Audi USA is getting sick of the salesman stripping the holder with their power screwdriver, my dealer fix it out of goodwill.

From what I understand, the holder is held on by the two torx plastic screws and 3 strips of double side tape.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Just had this issue last week and got into it with my dealer. Very disappointed that they refused to replace the bracket under warranty, but they did pull it into their service bay free of charge to epoxy some sort of nut/tap solution to be able to reattach the plate with a screw. I backed the screw partly out and it seems like it will hold, but I am afraid to take the plate off completely for fear of what I might find.

Some good news: when I got home I searched online and it looks like you can buy OEM replacement brackets for about $40. I may order one just to have it on hand for when the other three corners inevitably strip.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-.../8w58271139b9/

What does the TSB say? Do you have a number or a work order you can share? If so that'd be great, I may revisit this with my dealer with that as leverage before buying the part above.
some folks have had luck with this.

Cruiser Accessories 79150 Universal License Plate Mounting Plate, Black

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
LuisPQ5 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Interesting. One nut on the OEM bracket broke loose when I was putting on my plate. Definitely doesn't take a mechanical screw gun, breaking point is clearly at a toque below what I consider normal tightening. Since the nut was still captive enough, I was still able to use it to secure the plate, but figured I'd bring it up on my 1st maintenance or, hopefully not, an actual service visit prior to that.

Looks like it's dealer's choice on whether or not they will do anything.

Last edited by Trade_it_all_4_more; 07-12-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi USA really drop the ball on this one. If a factory part fails due to normal operating conditions, it should be covered by warranty.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Same exact thing happened to my plate holder and it is annoying. I will take it to the dealer and try and get it looked at tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Horrible, horrible design...and the worst part is the screws bottom out rather than go straight through the holder, making it difficult to find the right length screws and or shims.

Here's a re-visit on how much time and energy was wasted on me getting my license plate frame and holder to cinch up...in what should have been a 2 minute job:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ation-2941212/
Old 07-12-2018, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
Horrible, horrible design...and the worst part is the screws bottom out rather than go straight through the holder, making it difficult to find the right length screws and or shims.
Yep. I was used black oxide coated stainless screws on my holder. (OK, I know I have OCD issues.) But I had to get multiple sizes to make sure I held the plate & frame without bottoming out. Ugh.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

My dog wasn't too pleased when his nuts got stripped.

Quick Reply: Dealer strip two of the nuts on my rear license plate holder