Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 2018 model year and up

Delivery Dealer Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delivery Dealer Swap?

So this may be a dumb question and ultimately not worth the hassle, but....

I live in Pensacola and we didn't have an Audi dealer when I placed my S5 order. I ultimately ordered it from a dealer in south Florida where my mom loves and I go to a lot (it's about 600 miles south so I figured I would just go visit my mom and drive it home). Being built last week of May with an estimated delivery late June/early July.

In the meanwhile, an Audi dealer just opened here in Pensacola. I was wondering if there it would be worth my time/money to see if there was any way to keep my order from the S Florida dealer, but just have the car delivered to Pensacola instead. I realize the dealer does some checks and setup once it arrives. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this being possible? Just think it would be easier to pick it up from Pensacola, I wouldn't have to put 600 miles on it right away, and I could maybe save some flight/gas money. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kmdr2
So this may be a dumb question and ultimately not worth the hassle, but....

I live in Pensacola and we didn't have an Audi dealer when I placed my S5 order. I ultimately ordered it from a dealer in south Florida where my mom loves and I go to a lot (it's about 600 miles south so I figured I would just go visit my mom and drive it home). Being built last week of May with an estimated delivery late June/early July.

In the meanwhile, an Audi dealer just opened here in Pensacola. I was wondering if there it would be worth my time/money to see if there was any way to keep my order from the S Florida dealer, but just have the car delivered to Pensacola instead. I realize the dealer does some checks and setup once it arrives. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this being possible? Just think it would be easier to pick it up from Pensacola, I wouldn't have to put 600 miles on it right away, and I could maybe save some flight/gas money. Thanks!
Back when I was fleet manager, we'd do what was called a "courtesy delivery" where the originating dealer keeps the sale but transfers the car to the dealership closer to you. Either dealer would do the PDI (pre delivery inspection), I see no reason why they couldn't extend this service to you.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the Audi dealer where you ordered your car has a good track record, I would just deal with them to do the delivery including PDI. Besides, you did mention that you are often visiting your Mom so I do not think it is a huge inconvenience for you. I do understand that the best scenario would be to deal with a dealership closest to you.

A new dealership will have lots of newbies that may be handling your new car that has not yet absorbed the expectation of a higher standard of work quality that Audi demands from its dealerships. I would be more nervous with them doing the prep work and delivery of my new car.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

I would think putting 600, assuming mostly highway, miles on a new car wouldn't be the best thing from a break-in point of view? The whole trying to avoid a constant RPM thing during break-in.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes you are correct in saying that one needs to avoid constant RPM during break-in. But, putting in 600 miles on the highway during break-in is OK as long as you vary the RPM's at regular intervals. Also, do not go over 2/3 of the max rev range while doing so.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great advice! I guess ill think it over and maybe go visit the new dealership to see how confident I am in their competence. The dealer I ordered from does have a great reputation so maybe a nice leisurely drive home will be worth it!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kmdr2
Thanks for all the great advice! I guess ill think it over and maybe go visit the new dealership to see how confident I am in their competence. The dealer I ordered from does have a great reputation so maybe a nice leisurely drive home will be worth it!
If you do get to visit the dealership in Pensacola, ask if you can observe the techs doing a PDI on a customer's car and see how they work. Also try to observe them while they detail someone's vehicle. The care they show while doing so says a lot about the service quality of the dealership.