Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Didn't shift to 1st gear when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 RARE T
Well thanks for your condescending reply.

Still doesn't explain ****.
Ha that's funny. Not meant to be condescending.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Actually, it does!

There is some type of “tilt” indicator built-into the electronics that senses the angle of the car, much like the one built-in to iPhones. It senses the level of the car to adjust headlights if the trunk is loaded as well as a hill descent.

— John
Actually that is a sensor with an arm that moves with suspension travel I believe.

There might be some sort of tilt angle detection, I'm just un-familiar with how it works and is it tied to a hill assist feature or...…..?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,404 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 RARE T
Actually that is a sensor with an arm that moves with suspension travel I believe.

There might be some sort of tilt angle detection, I'm just un-familiar with how it works and is it tied to a hill assist feature or...…..?
I cannot speak as to where it is or how it works, but I know as I’m starting to go down a decline, the VC throws up the green braking icon. First time I saw that, I had zero idea what was happening. Every time I start down that decline, I get that same icon.

— John
Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine displays the same thing when I'm coming to an area with a reduced speed.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The tilt sensor is usually a gyroscope, it works like a spinning top and based on the law of angular momentum.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I cannot speak as to where it is or how it works, but I know as I’m starting to go down a decline, the VC throws up the green braking icon. First time I saw that, I had zero idea what was happening. Every time I start down that decline, I get that same icon.

— John
John,

you can turn that thing off in the MMI. Don't recall where it's located but you need to uncheck a box. It's some sort of energy saving "green" indicator.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by future S4
you can turn that thing off in the MMI. Don't recall where it's located but you need to uncheck a box. It's some sort of energy saving "green" indicator.
My wife thanks you - she was always annoyed by the green foot; I forwarded this to her and she immediately turned it off.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

The green foot icon is actually on the nav and lets you know that there is road/route characteristic that may require attention coming up and it is warning you to slow down in preparation. Could be a round about, toll booth or curves that the system thinks may require a slow down. I believe it is meant to assist with safety as well as fuel consumption. I don’t find it very useful and remembering trying to figure out what it was for a while in the Q5.

from the manual (just cut and paste of the text so some characters instead of symbols - sorry):
Predictive efficiency assist
Introduction
The predictive efficiency assist helps the driver to drive with anticipation and therefore helps to save fuel. The system accesses predictive trip da- ta (including speed limits,hills, and the angle of curves) from the navigation system*. - tion from the camera-based traffic sign recogni- tion* is also applied to recognizetraffic signs =page 102.

The messages displayed depend on the naviga- tion data* being up-to-date and the correct iden- tification by the traffic sign recognition*.
When adaptive cruise control* is switched off, the predictive efficiency assist only provides notifica- tions without controlled interventions. See
= page 106, Predictive messages (efficiency as- sist).
/\ WARNING
Pay attention to traffic and the area around yourvehicle when the efficiency assist is switched on. The driveris always responsible for assessing the traffic situation.
@ Tips
— The wording of the message may vary de- pending on the selected Audidrive select* mode = page 132 and the selected gear (automatic transmission*). No messages are displayed when in the "S" selector lever po- sition or in Dynamic mode.
— When a route is planned using the naviga- tion system*, then system displays messag- es based on an assumed route. Without
route guidance, the system displays mes-
sages based on an assumed route.
— There will not be a message forevery situa-
tion ahead, for example if there is not enough distance remaining to react to the situation.
— No messages are displayed when at speeds under 20 mph (30 km/h).
Predictive control (efficiency assist)
Applies to: vehicles with Audi adaptive cruise control and pre- dictive efficiency assist
3 38@ T%&
When adaptive cruise control* is switched on, the system responds to upcoming situations auto- matically. See = page 106, Predictive control (ef- ficiency assist).
Predictive messages (efficiency assist) Appliesto: vehicles with predictive efficiency assist
Indicator in the instrument cluster display
Predictive messages appearin the instrument cluster display to show the driver the appropriate time to coast when a situation ahead requires you to drive at a lower speed.
The messages are only shown if the cruise control system* or adaptive cruise control* is switched off.
An additional indicator appears in the head-up display*.
Symbol Meaning
Remove your foot from the acceler- ator pedalto slow down, because there is a situation ahead that re- quires a lower speed.

If you see Driver assistance in the instrument cluster display, the following symbols will indi- cate which situation the system is currently react- i n g t o .
Symbol Meaning MPH Speed limit km/h Speed limit

Last edited by audijk; 06-23-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audijk
The green foot icon is actually on the nav and lets you know that there is road/route characteristic that may require attention coming up and it is warning you to slow down in preparation. Could be a round about, toll booth or curves that the system thinks may require a slow down. I believe it is meant to assist with safety as well as fuel consumption. I don’t find it very useful and remembering trying to figure out what it was for a while in the Q5.

from the manual (just cut and paste of the text so some characters instead of symbols - sorry):
Predictive efficiency assist
Introduction
The predictive efficiency assist helps the driver to drive with anticipation and therefore helps to save fuel. The system accesses predictive trip da- ta (including speed limits,hills, and the angle of curves) from the navigation system*. - tion from the camera-based traffic sign recogni- tion* is also applied to recognizetraffic signs =page 102.

The messages displayed depend on the naviga- tion data* being up-to-date and the correct iden- tification by the traffic sign recognition*.
When adaptive cruise control* is switched off, the predictive efficiency assist only provides notifica- tions without controlled interventions. See
= page 106, Predictive messages (efficiency as- sist).
/\ WARNING
Pay attention to traffic and the area around yourvehicle when the efficiency assist is switched on. The driveris always responsible for assessing the traffic situation.
@ Tips
— The wording of the message may vary de- pending on the selected Audidrive select* mode = page 132 and the selected gear (automatic transmission*). No messages are displayed when in the "S" selector lever po- sition or in Dynamic mode.
— When a route is planned using the naviga- tion system*, then system displays messag- es based on an assumed route. Without
route guidance, the system displays mes-
sages based on an assumed route.
— There will not be a message forevery situa-
tion ahead, for example if there is not enough distance remaining to react to the situation.
— No messages are displayed when at speeds under 20 mph (30 km/h).
Predictive control (efficiency assist)
Applies to: vehicles with Audi adaptive cruise control and pre- dictive efficiency assist
3 38@ T%&
When adaptive cruise control* is switched on, the system responds to upcoming situations auto- matically. See = page 106, Predictive control (ef- ficiency assist).
Predictive messages (efficiency assist) Appliesto: vehicles with predictive efficiency assist
Indicator in the instrument cluster display
Predictive messages appearin the instrument cluster display to show the driver the appropriate time to coast when a situation ahead requires you to drive at a lower speed.
The messages are only shown if the cruise control system* or adaptive cruise control* is switched off.
An additional indicator appears in the head-up display*.
Symbol Meaning
Remove your foot from the acceler- ator pedalto slow down, because there is a situation ahead that re- quires a lower speed.

If you see Driver assistance in the instrument cluster display, the following symbols will indi- cate which situation the system is currently react- i n g t o .
Symbol Meaning MPH Speed limit km/h Speed limit
I just found out yesterday that there is a specific message displayed if you are in the “vehicle assistance” screen in the virtual cockpit when the green icon comes up.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax1900
I just found out yesterday that there is a specific message displayed if you are in the “vehicle assistance” screen in the virtual cockpit when the green icon comes up.
Yep, that’s in the next column in the manual- I didn’t cut and paste that. Fgured people would look it up if they wanted more info. But when you have the driver assistance screen up in the VC, you get more info about what the warning is for.

Quick Reply: Didn't shift to 1st gear when stopped