Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Driving 2 hours after delivery, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving 2 hours after delivery, any tips?

Guys,

I'm taking delivery tommorow out of town and need to drive back home, the drive is about 150 miles away.

Any tips as far as "breaking in" the engine or does it not matter as to how one drives?

Thanks,

JC
Old 08-27-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,255 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by JakePlummer
Guys,

I'm taking delivery tommorow out of town and need to drive back home, the drive is about 150 miles away.

Any tips as far as "breaking in" the engine or does it not matter as to how one drives?

Thanks,

JC
I would:
1. Bed the brakes
2. Keep the RPM under 4k
3. Vary the speed between 45 and 70
4. Have a blast
Old 08-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Guys,

Thanks,

JC
Yup, page 86 of the manual says:

Old 08-27-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by synergize
I would:
1. Bed the brakes
2. Keep the RPM under 4k
3. Vary the speed between 45 and 70
4. Have a blast
5. Favorite Music
6. Cool Shades
7. A Hot chick (if you're single)
8. Microfiber towels and Quick Detailer spray & mist for bird doo and bug splatters lol
Old 08-27-2017, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GlacierS5
5. Favorite Music
Hey, the hot chick can be the wife...
Old 08-27-2017, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,255 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by GlacierS5
5. Favorite Music
6. Cool Shades
8. Microfiber towels and Quick Detailer spray & mist for bird doo and bug splatters lol
Try and keep it under 4k with a hot chick in the car...not gonna happen lol!
Old 08-27-2017, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
Try and keep it under 4k with a hot chick in the car...not gonna happen lol!
Even without the hot chick, three other tips:

-- I put the Drive Select in either Comfort or Individual. For Individual, I set most things to Comfort or Auto (except for steering which I have on Dynamic). This will make it easier for you to control yourself and keep the RPMs under 4k. You'll find that in "D", Comfort will aggressively upshift to keep RPMs really low.

-- I put the car in "M" frequently, esp with highway driving, to make it easier for me to vary RPMs by switching to another gear. You want to have a variety of RPMs instead of just constant RPM.

-- If in Individual on Drive Select, you can switch the exhaust to "Dynamic", which is lovely and gives you a little more excitement while you putter around.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
Even without the hot chick, three other tips:

-- I put the Drive Select in either Comfort or Individual. For Individual, I set most things to Comfort or Auto (except for steering which I have on Dynamic). This will make it easier for you to control yourself and keep the RPMs under 4k. You'll find that in "D", Comfort will aggressively upshift to keep RPMs really low.

-- I put the car in "M" frequently, esp with highway driving, to make it easier for me to vary RPMs by switching to another gear. You want to have a variety of RPMs instead of just constant RPM.

-- If in Individual on Drive Select, you can switch the exhaust to "Dynamic", which is lovely and gives you a little more excitement while you putter around.
Im my case where I will do highway travel on the way home, how often should I vary the speed?
Old 08-27-2017, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Guys,

Thanks,

JC
When I picked up my A4 in Germany I was told to try and keep the rpm under 3000!

The good news is that the cars are geared so low that 115 mph on the Autobahn is only 2500 rpm.

Congrats and enjoy the drive! (Hot chick or not.)
Old 08-27-2017, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Im my case where I will do highway travel on the way home, how often should I vary the speed?
It's not the speed, its the RPM. 2/3 of the RPM range is 4k. As someone mentioned, the 8 gears are such that you'll easily be under 2k for any normal highway speed in D8.

I don't think you have to worry about this too much, just vary it every so often. That's what I've been doing. I think if you don't run ACC for most of the time its going to be easy to vary speed/RPMs without much thought.