Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

First Oil Change after Dealership - They put it wrong oil amount

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default First Oil Change after Dealership - They put it wrong oil amount

I just got around to doing the first oil change myself on the car, Audi A5 2.0T, I had the dealership do the first oil change around 8k miles since it was free as part of the 10k service here in the US. I used a fluid extractor and ended up draining a little bit over 5.7L, which surprised me since the maintenance schedule recommends only 5.2L for the A5. I put in 5.2L back per the maintenance schedule and the Oil Level reading in the MMI showed the oil level was ok and at the max level, which is what it said before I changed the oil as well, wish the car had a dipstick since I don't really trust the Oil Level shown in the MMI.

If you changed your own oil, how much did you end up putting in? Has anyone been able to find a dipstick compatible with the new 2.0T engines?
Old 12-16-2018, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Even though my engine calls for 7.25L, I had to put in about 7.75L for my MMI oil level to reach max. If you have too much oil you'll get a warning, so no warning means you're OK. I would just pour in the recommended amount of oil and then keep adding 1/4 litre until it reaches max. As stated on the specs, the quantities are approximate. I think the capacity is based on the MIN or medium mark rather than the MAX mark.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

5.7L is fine. My dealer puts in a little more than spec too.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A5Newbie
I just got around to doing the first oil change myself on the car, Audi A5 2.0T, I had the dealership do the first oil change around 8k miles since it was free as part of the 10k service here in the US. I used a fluid extractor and ended up draining a little bit over 5.7L, which surprised me since the maintenance schedule recommends only 5.2L for the A5. I put in 5.2L back per the maintenance schedule and the Oil Level reading in the MMI showed the oil level was ok and at the max level, which is what it said before I changed the oil as well, wish the car had a dipstick since I don't really trust the Oil Level shown in the MMI.

If you changed your own oil, how much did you end up putting in? Has anyone been able to find a dipstick compatible with the new 2.0T engines?
----------
My guess is they are putting in 6 quarts which is a hair under 5.7 liters.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get the approximate amount. Audi can't determine the exact amount? A half liter of overfill does not seem like a good idea. If it is OK why not just recommend the higher amount?
Old 12-16-2018, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcat UA
I don't get the approximate amount. Audi can't determine the exact amount? A half liter of overfill does not seem like a good idea. If it is OK why not just recommend the higher amount?
They can't give an exact amount because the engine can work perfectly fine with +/- half liter of oil. So maybe the range is 6.5 - 7.9 liters but instead of saying that they just list 7.2 liters. Also the amount of leftover oil in the engine varies, so it's not possible to come up with an exact oil capacity for an oil change.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luder888
They can't give an exact amount because the engine can work perfectly fine with +/- half liter of oil. So maybe the range is 6.5 - 7.9 liters but instead of saying that they just list 7.2 liters. Also the amount of leftover oil in the engine varies, so it's not possible to come up with an exact oil capacity for an oil change.
not buying it, engine and the oil pan have an exact capacity, I have never had a car with an "approximate" amount.
The amount leftover in the engine only varies if you don't allow it time to drain
Old 12-16-2018, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

not buying it, engine and the oil pan have an exact capacity, I have never had a car with an "approximate" amount.
The amount leftover in the engine only varies if you don't allow it time to drain
You should sue for this egregious outrage, and to get to the bottom of this conspiracy to conceal the genuine oil capacity.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:32 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,404 Posts

Originally Posted by emacS5
You should sue for this egregious outrage, and to get to the bottom of this conspiracy to conceal the genuine oil capacity.

Feeling particularly feisty last night?

Last edited by Nikon1; 12-17-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:39 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,404 Posts

Most service centers don’t “drain” the oil — where you put a catch mechanism under the oil pan, remove the drain plug / boltt and gravity does the rest.

They pull the plug from the (missing) dipstick tube, insert a suction device and suck out the used oil. Depending on the skills and professionalism of the particular technician performing this service, said tech may be rushed or the egress device shifted — any number of reasons — and there may be an unknown “small” quantity of old oil left in the sump.

And this is most likely why there is not an “exact” replacement quantity specified.

Or not — YMMV!

Quick Reply: First Oil Change after Dealership - They put it wrong oil amount