Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

First Oil Change after Dealership - They put it wrong oil amount

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How many decimal point is the exact amount? Is 7.21 ok or is that too much and do I need to add oil if I am down to 7.19 liter?. In the old days, we just fill the oil until it is full on the dip stick and check the oil in a day or so to top it off if needed. I guess it must be great to have the time to put in the exact amount, down to the decimal point.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 373 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Most service centers don’t “drain” the oil — where you put a catch mechanism under the oil pan, remove the drain plug / boltt and gravity does the rest.

They pull the plug from the (missing) dipstick tube, insert a suction device and suck out the used oil. Depending on the skills and professionalism of the particular technician performing this service, said tech may be rushed or the egress device shifted — any number of reasons — and there may be an unknown “small” quantity of old oil left in the sump.

And this is most likely why there is not an “exact” replacement quantity specified.

Or not — YMMV!
I wonder if 'sucking' the oil out instead of draining it works as well in getting the gunk / sediment that settles to the bottom out; especially if the suction tube is not in the bottom of the sump. Actually, if the suction tube is in the 'bottom', it won't be able to suck anything out. I'm thinking the old method of draining the oil is better than this newer method....

Heavy Sigh... Monday's suck, especially while waiting for my car to arrive....
Old 12-17-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by garberfc
I wonder if 'sucking' the oil out instead of draining it works as well in getting the gunk / sediment that settles to the bottom out; especially if the suction tube is not in the bottom of the sump. Actually, if the suction tube is in the 'bottom', it won't be able to suck anything out. I'm thinking the old method of draining the oil is better than this newer method....

The old method is slow and inefficient. Modern engines can handle a little gunk in the junk. There's a lot more in this car that I'm more concerned with in terms of reliability.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I used a vacuum extractor to remove the old oil out and it worked great, there shouldn't be any gunk on the bottom unless you waited too long to change the oil or if you're using crappy oil. I highly recommend buying a vacuum extractor if you're planning on changing the oil yourself.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slides
The old method is slow and inefficient. Modern engines can handle a little gunk in the junk. There's a lot more in this car that I'm more concerned with in terms of reliability.
Could be there are more important things to worry about but with turbo cars (15 years experience) the correct oil, a decent filter and changing regularly, this is one thing to worry about that we can do something about.
Don't understand the comment about modern engines being able to handle some gunk, I would think with close tolerances and turbos the opposite would be true, but I am neither a mechanic or an engineer!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Actually, after looking at the oil pan, it looks like there is a little well right where the suction tube would come down into the pan. So it looks like that is why the dealers use this method for changing the oil, and by using the drain plug method there would still be a lot of oil in that "pool" in the pan where the suction tube would go to suck out all of the old oil.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 373 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Actually, after looking at the oil pan, it looks like there is a little well right where the suction tube would come down into the pan. So it looks like that is why the dealers use this method for changing the oil, and by using the drain plug method there would still be a lot of oil in that "pool" in the pan where the suction tube would go to suck out all of the old oil.
Thanks @heisnuts , that fact makes me happy.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Why would Audi not put the drain plug at the bottom of the sump well?
Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Why would Audi not put the drain plug at the bottom of the sump well?
They designed it around a top drain, that's why the oil filter is also on the top of the engine, overall a much cleaner and faster process with the right tools. The drain plug for these cars is a small plastic piece that you need to replace if you're draining the oil from the bottom.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A5Newbie
They designed it around a top drain, that's why the oil filter is also on the top of the engine, overall a much cleaner and faster process with the right tools. The drain plug for these cars is a small plastic piece that you need to replace if you're draining the oil from the bottom.
Those Germans are pretty smart engineers but at times they overlook some common sense items. If you are going to design a drain plug, you should always put in at the lowest point of the sump well.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change after Dealership - They put it wrong oil amount