Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Fun Fun Fun!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun Fun Fun!

Thought I’d share a recent driving experience with our 2018 S5 Coupe. We don’t use the car to commute - its use is limited to only the occasional journey where new experiences are anticipated. This particular trip was especially fun.

We’ve lived in the Pacific Northwest (northwest Washington) most of our lives and have visited Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island several times, always as pedestrians, never by car. So for this trip, we decided to venture to Tofino, a small community on the west coast of Vancouver Island – this time taking the S5. The first leg was a 1-1/2 hour trip to Port Angeles where we passed through customs and drove aboard the passenger/auto ferry Coho for a 90 minute crossing northward across the Juan de Fuca Straight to Victoria. Once in Canada, we began a 4-1/2 hour drive, first up the east coast of the island then westward across the island to Tofino. The westward leg contains some of the greatest roads we’ve ever driven. The route is packed with spectacular scenery, however it was the roads that made the trip especially fun. There were non-stop twists, turns, changes in elevation, and speeds ranging from 40 kph to a brief blast when passing traffic to 184. It’s not often that you can experience a sensory OD like this. The trip to Tofino was with clear and sunny weather while the return, two days later, was in light rain. The grey conditions had absolutely no impact on the fun factor. The S5 made the trip better than a carnival ride. Smiles all the way….

Old 09-30-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,252 Likes on 773 Posts

Sounds like a great road trip, any Audi dealers on the island?
Old 09-30-2017, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Victoria Autohaus is their Audi outlet. We saw LOTS of Audis during the trip. Drivers are generally polite and the Audi drivers seem to like to drive fast. 50% above posted speed limits is common.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tstiles
Victoria Autohaus is their Audi outlet. We saw LOTS of Audis during the trip. Drivers are generally polite and the Audi drivers seem to like to drive fast. 50% above posted speed limits is common.
You are a braver man than me. We did the same trip in July just before I took delivery of my S5. We put my Acura TL on the Coho too and the only thing that kept me from having a heat attack on how close they put the cars and the people squeezing by the cars rubbing up against the side was the fact that I knew I would be trading the car in when the S5 arrived.

Now, once we were on the Island, everything was wonderful and we had a great time, but then there was the ride back on the Coho, which would have sent me over the edge if I had my new S5.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's a wonderful trip and we've done the same ride to Tofino but only in our LS 430. You've got me salivating to take our new A5 SB back up there.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Backw/Audi
That's a wonderful trip and we've done the same ride to Tofino but only in our LS 430. You've got me salivating to take our new A5 SB back up there.

I can attest to the roads on vancouver island. I live here in Victoria and take the odd trip past nanaimo for some proper spirited driving. too bad you're not around still, there are some great roads in the sooke area!

Glad you had fun and Trump free land
Old 09-30-2017, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was born and raised in Vancouver and I have only been to Tofino once. Would love to make that trip one of these days in the S5.