Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

German Car Accessories Honeycomb Grille- Camera Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German Car Accessories Honeycomb Grille- Camera Mount?

I have a 2018 S5 Sportback Prestige with ACC. Bought the German Car Accessories honeycomb grille. Fits great except for the front camera is pointing upwards. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can either fix this issue or buy a new camera mount? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

search the forums about the grill. there is someone who posted a 3D printer model of the camera mount that works well, you just need to download the file and have someone print it for you
Old 04-23-2022, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pstonge
I have a 2018 S5 Sportback Prestige with ACC. Bought the German Car Accessories honeycomb grille. Fits great except for the front camera is pointing upwards. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can either fix this issue or buy a new camera mount? Thanks.
Check that out has a lot of good information about an aftermarket 3D printed camera mount. I have German car accessories grill that I was going to install today and luckily this video came out yesterday. It now has me rethinking how reliable the camera mount is set up on it to begin with. Might just have to get this 3D printed
Old 04-26-2022, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 146 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a Carbnlabs Grille that's pending installation. Here are pics of the updated camera mount that no longer points straight up. Hopefully I get the grille installed in the coming weeks. Been trying to nail down my license plate solution (using RobO's suggestion of using two powerful magnets which I have now) and getting my blacked out S5 badging properly orientated and fastened to the grille.

When looking at the OEM grille from the side, the face of the S5 badge is flush / parallel with the Audi rings, and I found it's quite a bit trickier getting this installed/aligned on the honeycomb grille.

With that said, could you folks share your solution to properly mount your S5 badge? I got an el-cheapo AE deal as an experiment of an all gloss S5 badge and I'm actually quite impressed with the quality (pics below).

Camera Mount

My hack to install the S5 badge.... rubber grommets, bolts/nuts. I haven't applied the S5 decal to the base yet as I wanted to let it sit for a bit and also give more time for any other more elegant solutions, but it works at the very least.

Plate mount

Rubber grommets and simple nuts/bolts

The S5 badge is flush with the face of the Audi rings. This is what it's like on the OEM grille.

I used rubber grommets that have recesses along the outer edge diameter and have them sitting snug to basically offset the bottom; it's the top part of the honeycomb section that protrudes more causing the badge to angle downwards, so this helps with that.

This would be the placement of the S5 badge, which is inline with the OEM grill essentially. I know the B9.5's have different placement, up and closer to the rings, but the honeycombs are larger diameter than this grill; this to me looks correct

Last edited by inphra; 04-26-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:43 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,399 Posts

I don’t know if this will help you or not but when we installed my RS-Style grille, I elected to reuse the Audi S5 badging. As the photo below shows, we used a combination of glue and drilling a very small hole in both the factory badge and the honeycomb and then running a very thin mechanic wire through the top of the new grille, the badge, the bottom of the new grille and then twisting that wire tight.

Four years later and it’s never budged an inch.

On a slightly related note — when the car had the ceramic coating applied I had purchased a third-party blackout badge for the trunk lid. It was much less expensive than the genuine Audi badge (it was also about 30% smaller than the genuine Audi badge) but it looked good . . , for about 2 years, then it started to fade terribly. I recently ordered the genuine Audi S5 blacked-out badge from PartsByTopher and that will be swapped at my Spring detaining session.

Genuine Audi Blacked Out Rear Badge on top / Genuine Audi Chrome Badge on bottom — identical shape & size.

I found out you get what you pay for!

— John

Last edited by Nikon1; 04-27-2022 at 03:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nikon1:
CKinLA (04-27-2022), DaveSNJ (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I don’t know if this will help you or not but when we installed my RS-Style grille, I elected to reuse the Audi S5 badging. As the photo below shows, we used a combination of glue and drilling a very small hole in both the factory badge and the honeycomb and then running a very thin mechanic wire through the top of the new grille, the badge, the bottom of the new grille and then twisting that wire tight.

Four years later and it’s never budged an inch.

On a slightly related note — when the car had the ceramic coating applied I had purchased a third-party blackout badge for the trunk lid. It was much less expensive than the genuine Audi badge (it was also about 30% smaller than the genuine Audi badge) but it looked good . . , for about 2 years, then it started to fade terribly. I recently ordered the genuine Audi S5 blacked-out badge from PartsByTopher and that will be swapped at my Spring detaining session.

Genuine Audi Blacked Out Rear Badge on top / Genuine Audi Chrome Badge on bottom — identical shape & size.

I found out you get what you pay for!

— John
Thanks John. I didn't want to remove the stock grille badge and I also wanted it blacked out which is why I went third party. But your idea is interesting and gives me another option.

As for the rear badge, the issue you ran into was one of the main reasons why I didn't save to muck about with a cheap variant. Went OEM for that one and it's top notch quality!
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (04-27-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Would it be possible for some of you folks to share your corner view, parking view, and birds eye view with your after market grille / camera mount? I'm still working with carbnlabs to figure out what the heck is going on with mine as it's pointing too high, even though it has the "updated" 3D printed mount.

On a related note, did anyone have issues with the fit? My hood is 100% aligned but it seems the bumper on the driver's side is a bit too tucked in. See pic. I'm hoping this was an install issue and not the grille forcing the bumper to a different position. If anyone has dealt with this before, please share how you (hopefully) resolved it.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I have made some progress with the alignment issues of the camera. When the installers put back the bumper, the bolts that fasten the grille to the chassis also have adjustments that can cause the bumper to tuck under the hood (see my previous post with pics). We loosened the bolts and pulled the grille a touch forward and the bumper gaps are lined up again.

After we did that, it did make a notable difference to wrangle the camera angle downwards so it's no longer above the horizon. However, it's still not perfect in that when parallel lines are picked up by the front grille camera are seemingly "broken" / misaligned, when the bird's eye image is being stitched together.

While I understand that I need to get those lines as "unbroken" to provide the most accurate bird's eye stitched view, I need to confirm whether or not there is SOME distortion by default for a stock grille with a front camera.

I'm hoping someone can provide a picture of something similar to the attached pic whereby two parallel lines run across ALL cameras (rear, sides, front). The pic I include below demonstrates what I'm hoping someone can help me out with. This is a screen cap from an AliExpress shop for a replacement camera but as you can see, it has SOME distortion where the front cam image is stitched with the side cams. I just want to confirm if there is some expected distortion for stock set ups.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by inphra; 05-31-2022 at 10:59 PM.