Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

homelink stopped working rs5sb

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default homelink stopped working rs5sb

i programmed my 19 homelink when i got the car in july without issue but it just stopped working other day. handheld remote still ok so unit is fine. i cleared the codes on audi but wont reprogram. owners manual has a gray box that says 'alternate programming' but i dont understand it. says 'use ur mode/d mode' but i cant find anything like that.
any ideas?
thx
The following users liked this post:
dzankou (11-10-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

I had the same issue (MY19 RS5 SB) and when I took it for service, they performed a TSB on the home link and now it works fine. It was definitely an issue with the homelink on the MY19 RS5 because i also have an MY15 Q5 and it worked just fine. I'll see if I can find the TSB for you.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for helping
Old 01-07-2021, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by dr drift
says 'use ur mode/d mode' but i cant find anything like that.
I vaguely remember seeing that message while setting-up my A5 recently (or was it Q5-e ?). Anyway, I forget if that means you went down the wrong path, or did I just select one (likely the top or first one).

What I discovered with my old Genie (rolling code) Opener is that it only holds 7 remotes and/or cars. And when you program #8 it seems to replace the old #7 (that remote and/or car quits working). Old traded-away cars count also, so I ran out.
I had to a mass-delete all codes from Genie head-unit. Programmed all old stand-alone remotes, and then both Audis. For myQ App, I had to delete it and program it from scratch. All working fine now.

Phase 1: Use a real stand-alone genuine genie remote (with fresh battery) to capture the signal. After the Audi is happy with capture, don't use this remote any more during procedure. If you can't capture, try temporarily turning off the Audi's Side-Assist.

Phase 2: This is the part when you press the Learn button on garage Door Open head-unit ... Audi calls that Sync or Synchronize. During this phase, only press HomeLink buttons on the car itself. If you press a button on a real remote, it will get programmed instead (not what you want).

Good Luck. I always dread doing this, but now that I understand more, it's really not too bad.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-08-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

i made an appt for audi service in feb so hoping to fix it myself prior to that.

this is from my owners manual. anyone understand last line? i cant find anything like that in the menus.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

this is from my owners manual. anyone understand last line? i cant find anything like that in the menus.
Well, first of all ... it will only appear while using the config wizard to program a button.
Second, it only appears when it senses you are having trouble programming a button the normal way.

If you have a normal garage door opener (built to function inside the USA ... using US-approved radio-frequencies)
and are able to successfully program it, you won't see those options. This includes a GDO similar to a Genie with (the now common) "rolling-code" security feature protocol.

The definitive way to know this is working is to use a successfully programmed HomeLink button to actually open your garage door. This would be difficult to impossible to test/accomplish at the dealer since your GDO head-unit is in your garage at home.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

i am trying to program the homelink with the wizard and it does keep saying unable to program but i never see the alternate program pop up. the door is opening with other remotes, cars so i dont think its a door problem. its a car problem.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i am trying to program the homelink with the wizard and it does keep saying unable to program but i never see the alternate program pop up. the door is opening with other remotes, cars so i dont think its a door problem. its a car problem.
- What model of car?
- What model of GDO?

What Phase are you having a problem with?
Old 01-08-2021, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

19 rs5sb. will give gdo info when i get home.
not sure phase but i go thru the steps on screen same as i did in july when it worked but now screen says 'problem would you like to try again'.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

1. 19 rs5sb.
2. will give gdo info when i get home.
3. not sure phase but i go thru the steps on screen same as i did in july when it worked but now screen says 'problem would you like to try again'.
1. Sorry, yes ... I see now you already specified, thanks. Sounds like MIB-2 (non-touch-screen, MMI control-**** near gear-shift, actual HomeLink buttons up by rear-view mirror). Should be just like in our 2020 Q5-e.
2. Cool
3. Carefully read above.
Phase 1 is "capturing the frequency" from your best full-sized remote that came with the GDO system.
Phase 2 is what Audi calls Sync/Synchronize. If this GDO uses "rolling codes" (most do now-days) ... this is the part where you have to press the Learn button on GDO head/motor-unit.

Have you had this GDO system a long time? How many remotes does it have and how many HomeLink vehicles have you got working on it since you installed it?

Quick Reply: homelink stopped working rs5sb