AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   How is your A5/S5/RS5 Holding Up? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/how-your-a5-s5-rs5-holding-up-2966912/)

Richr 02-09-2019 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Slides (Post 25273788)
Just can't fully trust it.

Yep. Once you understand that, it’s wonderful. Audi never claimed it was fully autonomous,

Abtpl 02-09-2019 06:23 AM

...exactly, it is intended as an aid to the driver, not yet as a substitute. In heavy traffic the dap is helpful to keep stress low. On highway on long trips really shines for me, I can drive longer periods of time because I’m not as much stressed

Slides 02-09-2019 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Abtpl (Post 25273797)
In heavy traffic the dap is helpful to keep stress low.

Really? It increases my stress with it turned on as I have to be extra vigilant to make sure the car doesn't rearend someone.

Abtpl 02-09-2019 06:44 AM

...It depends how fast you want to go, I suppose. If I stick on not changing lanes as often, and I’m not late, sure I’m ok with it. I use it in dynamic mode thou...

JD15 02-09-2019 06:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards staying with my Premium Plus order, as I test drove a couple of vehicles with DAP and didn't feel like I would use it much. I would consider ACC as a standalone option, but was not particularly impressed with the other features, particularly lane keep assist. Too much of my driving is on 40 - 50 mph urban roads with clueless or overly aggressive drivers and I would not be able to fully trust DAP in those circumstances. I doubt that DAP has a pothole mitigation algorithm either, and without it, I would have to replace wheels and tires too often.

RedKloud 02-09-2019 06:48 AM

I got prestige for the HUD and the top view camera... didn't get the DAP.

MRA5SB 02-09-2019 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Slides (Post 25273799)
Really? It increases my stress with it turned on as I have to be extra vigilant to make sure the car doesn't rearend someone.

I feel like you have to be the same level of vigilant with or without it on. But what it does help with in heavy traffic is that you don't have the constant gas <--> brake action, and my feet are definitely happier for that.

arrtewwx 02-09-2019 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25273812)
Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards staying with my Premium Plus order, as I test drove a couple of vehicles with DAP and didn't feel like I would use it much. I would consider ACC as a standalone option, but was not particularly impressed with the other features, particularly lane keep assist. Too much of my driving is on 40 - 50 mph urban roads with clueless or overly aggressive drivers and I would not be able to fully trust DAP in those circumstances. I doubt that DAP has a pothole mitigation algorithm either, and without it, I would have to replace wheels and tires too often.

You’ll save money too! DAP in DFW hasn’t been a negative experience for me. I actually like the lane assist, when driving fast on 635 or The Bush, etc. it keeps me “within” the lines, but as others have noted it can sometimes try to fight you when you want to exit. Using the turn signal solves that issue for me (yes- terrible to use such a thing in DFW). Traffic assist is nice (just ACC at slow speeds) and useful but it leaves too much of a gap between you and the other car allowing for “jackies” to swoop in and then hit their bloody brakes. I use it occasionally.

Tbone323 02-09-2019 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Slides (Post 25273799)

It took me two weeks of daily use to trust it to bring me to a complete stop. Once I did though it had gotten much more comfortable since. It does brake more aggressively than my style of driving so I wish there was a setting for this like there is for the acceleration but I’ve come to trust it. I highly recommend committing to a few attempts with your foot hovering the brake pedal and I think you’ll come to love it too.
I commute 30mi each way most on highway and it is now a must have in every car moving forward.

JD15 02-09-2019 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by arrtewwx (Post 25273822)

You’ll save money too! DAP in DFW hasn’t been a negative experience for me. I actually like the lane assist, when driving fast on 635 or The Bush, etc. it keeps me “within” the lines, but as others have noted it can sometimes try to fight you when you want to exit. Using the turn signal solves that issue for me (yes- terrible to use such a thing in DFW). Traffic assist is nice (just ACC at slow speeds) and useful but it leaves too much of a gap between you and the other car allowing for “jackies” to swoop in and then hit their bloody brakes. I use it occasionally.

Yeah, it's a $2700 difference between P+ and Prestige, most of which is composed of DAP, which is now mandatory for Prestige.