Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

How is your paint holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,254 Likes on 774 Posts
Default How is your paint holding up?

I believe Audi uses BASF Glassurit paint, so far this paint (Daytona Gray Pearl Metallic) has been phenomenal, it is durable, does not swirl easily, and is easy to maintain. I have 8000 miles on my B9 S5 and don't have one chip or imperfection, it reminds me of the paint they used 25-30 years ago before all the environmental regulations were issued. Other car brands that I read about report poor paint satisfaction from owners, Audi paint seems excellent in comparison. How is your paint holding up, are you satisfied with the quality?

Last edited by synergize; 11-23-2021 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
I believe Audi uses BASF Glassurit paint, so far this paint (Daytona Gray Pearl Metallic) has been phenomenal, it is durable, does not swirl easily, and is easy to maintain. I have 8000 miles on my B9 S5 and don't have one chip or imperfection, it reminds me of the paint they used 25-30 years ago before all the environmental regulations were issued. Other car brands that I read about report poor paint satisfaction from owners, Audi paint seems excellent in comparison. How is your paint holding up, are you satisfied with the quality?

don’t read too much into it.
paint chips depend on how fast/close you drive behind vehicle that can spit stones at you.

paint quality (and quality of clear coat) will depend on how it ages over time. This should be appropriated to the climate and where you park you car.

there is only so much BASF (and many others) can do

I’ve had Ceramic Coating on my last two cars, and I still got chips and dings that could be filled with Q tips and polished out, however…

IMO, the best ways to protect against chips and dings is PPF ….. and ….. Ceramic Coating on top. I have this on my car right now, and I marvel at how good it looks after a wash

good luck, there is no magic paint, its all about how you take care of your assets

Last edited by Superfly_S5; 11-23-2021 at 08:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Superfly_S5:
JD15 (11-24-2021), mhblaw (11-26-2021), synergize (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

nice, im getting my new one in Daytona Gray also, good to know the durability and swirl resistance, i was getting anxious on how to protect my brand new paint lol. good thing the gray hides it well, but glad to know it's durable too.
The following users liked this post:
synergize (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 373 Likes on 231 Posts

My Sonoma green paint appears to be holding up really well. As it should seeing how I've been working at home since I bought it, it's garaged day and night, and hand waxed twice a year.

I do have two things to say though: The first time I waxed the car I noticed three brownish orange spots in the paint on the hood. There small, about 2.5mm in diameter and irregularly shaped. They appear to be below the clear coat. Should I have had Audi correct them?

The second thing I noticed was some orange peel affect on some parts of the car. Is this normal? Can it be corrected? Here's a page about Orange Peel. I just wonder if trying to correct it will remove a lot of the clear coat and leave me in worse shape. 🙃

Last edited by garberfc; 11-24-2021 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by garberfc
My Sonoma green paint appears to be holding up really well. As it should seeing how I've been working at home since I bought it, it's garaged day and night, and hand waxed twice a year.

I do have two things to say though: The first time I waxed the car I noticed three brownish orange spots in the paint on the hood. There small, about 2.5mm in diameter and irregularly shaped. They appear to be below the clear coat. Should I have had Audi correct them?

The second thing I noticed was some orange peel affect on some parts of the car. Is this normal? Can it be corrected? Here's a page about Orange Peel. I just wonder if trying to correct it will remove a lot of the clear coat and leave me in worse shape. 🙃
Unless you're buying something like a Rolls Royce, Bugatti, Bentley, etc. you're going to have orange peel.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:55 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,408 Posts

@synergize — Same exact color and experience with my finish. For the last 8 years my detailer, while detailing my cars, would tell me how great Audi paint was, how it was deep, resilient and held up well. He was a large part of the reason I looked at Audi 4 years ago when I started my quest for a new car.

When he got my car to Ceramic coat, it was in my possession for less than a week; had about 25 miles on the odometer and had been parked in the garage. It required almost no paint correction before he started his “clean, remove any surface elements and coat.”

He still, 3.5 years later, marvels at both the paint, the surface smoothness and color evenness of the finish.

I do have one or two small rock chips in the hood and a small “grocery lot a$$hole who had to park next to me in the farthest spot in the lot” — but it is my daily driver not a show car . . . although I still get numerous compliments when I park it and walk away!

In the end — It’s A Car. A fun to drive, great looking, very comfortable and plenty fast car . . . but, still, just a car.

— John
The following 2 users liked this post by Nikon1:
rocknS4 (11-26-2021), synergize (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 550 Likes on 370 Posts

I'm pleased with how my Daytona Gray is holding up, and I have no visible swirl marks because I have washed the car myself. However, I do have a small number ol rock chips on the front bumper from highway driving. It's not an excessive amount and is ultimately unavoidable, regardless of paint quality.
synergize (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

My ibis white paint still looks great but car is primarily garage kept. About a year ago my detailer was waxing an older black nissan/infiniti and lamented how hard it was to get it's paint to look right because the manufacturer used "cheap" paint. But that Audi's paint was "premium" which made it easier to make shine. It's not something someone thinks about when purchasing premium cars but makes me wonder what paint do other manufacturers use like Kia & Genesis who are trying to undercut the premium competition.
synergize (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 525 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
On my third Audi and the paint has held up extremely well on all of them, and the paint maintained the factory appearance for the entire time I owned the cars. I am in the midwest and we have temperature extremes and a lot of grit on the roads in the winter. Nothing short of a wrap or some other physical barrier will protect you from rock chips, including ceramic coatings. Look for something that will protect your clear coat, including but not limited to ceramic coatings. Just don't expect a paint treatment to be stronger than a rock at road speed.
synergize (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,254 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
@synergize — Same exact color and experience with my finish. For the last 8 years my detailer, while detailing my cars, would tell me how great Audi paint was, how it was deep, resilient and held up well. He was a large part of the reason I looked at Audi 4 years ago when I started my quest for a new car.

When he got my car to Ceramic coat, it was in my possession for less than a week; had about 25 miles on the odometer and had been parked in the garage. It required almost no paint correction before he started his “clean, remove any surface elements and coat.”

He still, 3.5 years later, marvels at both the paint, the surface smoothness and color evenness of the finish.

I do have one or two small rock chips in the hood and a small “grocery lot a$$hole who had to park next to me in the farthest spot in the lot” — but it is my daily driver not a show car . . . although I still get numerous compliments when I park it and walk away!

In the end — It’s A Car. A fun to drive, great looking, very comfortable and plenty fast car . . . but, still, just a car.

— John
The only chips on the car and they are minor are on the windshield. I realize todays windshield glass is softer than the glass they used years ago, so chipping is to be expected. Not sure why auto manufacturers changed to a softer glass, probably some safety reason. Even with a few minor chips, the windshield looks great and as good as day 1 when I got the car.

Quick Reply: How is your paint holding up?