Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Just bought 2019 RS5 Sportback - anything I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just bought 2019 RS5 Sportback - anything I should know?

Was at the Audi dealer with my 2018 Q7, saw a 2023 RS5 on the floor. Sales guy mentioned a 2019 they had in the back, just got in, 38k miles, still being prepped for CPO (new rotors and pads.) A bit of an impulse buy but it's a nice car so why the hell not?! For sure faster than my old S3.

Anything I should know about?

The check engine light has come on twice, they're checking it out this Friday. Code P24D6.

The paint needs work, it doesn't glisten and there is some water spot etching especially on the hood. Many years ago I used to detail cars so I suppose I need to pull out the buffers and polishes and get to work! If anyone has recommendations for Nardo Grey, I would appreciate them. Right now thinking Menzerna Intensive Polish then Final Polish, I'm sure there are newer polishes out there but that's what I have. Probably end with Zaino Z-AIO, always seemed to work well.

The following 2 users liked this post by scutchins:
DCB1951 (04-11-2023), garberfc (04-11-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 501 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by scutchins
Was at the Audi dealer with my 2018 Q7, saw a 2023 RS5 on the floor. Sales guy mentioned a 2019 they had in the back, just got in, 38k miles, still being prepped for CPO (new rotors and pads.) A bit of an impulse buy but it's a nice car so why the hell not?! For sure faster than my old S3.

Anything I should know about?
It's a nice car, and you'll like it!

Start with the tire pressures in the manual, not on the door jam. The pressures on the door jam are for a full load, which Audi defines as > 3 people in that car. Less pressure is recommended for anything else, but the specific values vary depending on the size of the wheels (19 vs 20) and the type of brakes (standard or ceramic).

Last edited by Dan99; 04-13-2023 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Corrected definition of full load
Old 04-12-2023, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 651 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan99

Start with the tire pressures in the manual, not on the door jam. The pressures on the door jam are for a full load, which Audi defines as 5 people in that car. Less pressure is recommended for anything else, but the specific values vary depending on the size of the wheels (19 vs 20) and the type of brakes (standard or ceramic).
I haven't seen anything referencing different pressures for ceramic vs steel brakes. Where do you see this?
Old 04-12-2023, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan99

Start with the tire pressures in the manual, not on the door jam. The pressures on the door jam are for a full load, which Audi defines as 5 people in that car. Less pressure is recommended for anything else, but the specific values vary depending on the size of the wheels (19 vs 20) and the type of brakes (standard or ceramic).
Interesting! The door sticker says 41f/41r for my 273/30-r20, the manual says 41/41 for max load and 38/32 for normal load (2-3 people.) Mine were 41/41 from the dealer.

That's a huge difference in the rear! I'm droppping to 38/32 and am expecting a much smoother ride now.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:09 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by scutchins
Interesting! The door sticker says 41f/41r for my 273/30-r20, the manual says 41/41 for max load and 38/32 for normal load (2-3 people.) Mine were 41/41 from the dealer.

That's a huge difference in the rear! I'm droppping to 38/32 and am expecting a much smoother ride now.
When my Dealer Service Center would return my car, the tires were Always set to the maximum pressure (or, a little over). After a few visits, as part of my Service Request I added “Do Not Check or Change Tire Pressures!” along with a “Do Not Wash!” Entry. That finally worked for me.

I check my tire pressures weekly at home so I do not need some one at the dealership messing my settings up.

— John
The following users liked this post:
Burrcold (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
When my Dealer Service Center would return my car, the tires were Always set to the maximum pressure (or, a little over). After a few visits, as part of my Service Request I added “Do Not Check or Change Tire Pressures!” along with a “Do Not Wash!” Entry. That finally worked for me.

I check my tire pressures weekly at home so I do not need some one at the dealership messing my settings up.

— John
I do the same thing with SA. However probably half the time they still fill it back to max load (annoying). At least they have followed my "do not wash" instruction every time.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 606 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
I do the same thing with SA. However probably half the time they still fill it back to max load (annoying). At least they have followed my "do not wash" instruction every time.
I've been told by a few Audi dealers here that their insurance requires them to fill the tires to the pressure specified on the door sticker.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Congrats on the ride! I just picked up the same car myself. Because of this thread, I just adjusted my tire pressure from 41 down to the 38/32 and it makes a huge difference on ride quality especially with DRC in Dynamic

Side note, does the RS5 have a soundaktor?
Old 04-12-2023, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FLOS5IN
Congrats on the ride! I just picked up the same car myself. Because of this thread, I just adjusted my tire pressure from 41 down to the 38/32 and it makes a huge difference on ride quality especially with DRC in Dynamic

Side note, does the RS5 have a soundaktor?
It's a huge difference with the correct tire pressure. Yes, the RS5 has a soundaktor. It can be turned off (or turned down) with OBD11.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I've been told by a few Audi dealers here that their insurance requires them to fill the tires to the pressure specified on the door sticker.
I wouldn't doubt it, but I use the same dealer all the time and they sometimes do it and sometimes don't. However they always make note of it on my work order. If it were a strict insurance thing, you would think they wouldn't allow that note to be included. Oh well, it's not the end of the world. I always check my pressure before leaving the dealer anyway, and it's easier to take air out than it is to put it in.

Quick Reply: Just bought 2019 RS5 Sportback - anything I should know?