Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Lane assist

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lane assist

I was hoping someone could educate me on how this works. I was wondering if it even was on because I never thought it was and then I started seeing the indicator light up and could tell the car was taking over (I drive through a lot of construction with very narrow lanes and it was ridiculous how aggressive the car was.

Then it just seems to go off again. I don't think it's gone on in the last couple of weeks and I've driven the same route multiple times.

There doesn't seem to be any setting directly related to it that would affect the sensitivity or just turn it on or off.

What am I missing? I've read the manual and I can't think of any of the cases that would turn it off or cause it to be deactivated.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Are you turning it off/on at the stalk accidentally?

When it is on, the two lines with the arrows will appear on the dash. Are you saying that they aren't displayed but you know the lane assist is still occasionally working?
The following 2 users liked this post by Coercion Shaman:
Slides (02-03-2020), tempests4 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tempests4
I was hoping someone could educate me on how this works. I was wondering if it even was on because I never thought it was and then I started seeing the indicator light up and could tell the car was taking over (I drive through a lot of construction with very narrow lanes and it was ridiculous how aggressive the car was.

Then it just seems to go off again. I don't think it's gone on in the last couple of weeks and I've driven the same route multiple times.

There doesn't seem to be any setting directly related to it that would affect the sensitivity or just turn it on or off.

What am I missing? I've read the manual and I can't think of any of the cases that would turn it off or cause it to be deactivated.
it is turned on by pressing the button at the end of the top left stalk (the one above the cruise control). you should see the green/grey lines in your heads up or on your virtual cockpit. I have found that it really only works good when the lines on the road are very clear. I am not 100% comfortable letting it take over without still giving my full attention. i say this because too many times i have noticed it turn off due to pool line visibility and with no warning, there is no way to know that the car is no longer in control.

The following users liked this post:
tempests4 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

On/Off is at the tip of the turn signal stalk. In addition, when it is on, it will only activate at 40 mph or more. The only other time it will activate is if you have it on along with ACC during stop and go traffic at which point the lane assist will be active. Hopefully, this helps.
The following users liked this post:
tempests4 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That could be it. I was looking for it in the settings. I don't recall a mention of the stalk in the manual. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2020, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

This feature is only with cars having prestige trim level
Old 02-20-2020, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an '18 SB Prestige and don't believe I have this feature.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

IMHO it's another useless gadget whose conditions for use and overall reliability render it impractical. I don't think I've been able to use it in excess of 30 seconds before the warning to take over pops up, and if you take your hand off the wheel for more than a few seconds it also disengages. Same with the ACC traffic assist-- in stop and go traffic it's useless because it turns off if you come to a complete stop for more than a few seconds, and in slightly more fluid traffic even when set to keep the closest distance possible to the car in front of you, it still has a delay in keeping up which basically acts as an open invite to every other car to cut you off.
These gadgets are good in theory but mostly useless in practice. What's worse is they depend on a complex system of properly tuned sensors, meaning something else to break or have to tune down the road. If I get another Audi, I will not be getting the driver's assistance stuff. Just give me the overhead and parking cameras and I am happy.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

If you see the two angled lines, it’s turned on. However, lane assist won’t activate (turns green) unless if you go above 40mph. I don’t really understand why it won’t work below that speed.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ycore
I don't think I've been able to use it in excess of 30 seconds before the warning to take over pops up,
You are not alone in this view, but there has been a misunderstanding.

The lane keeping assist feature is NOT meant to follow the lane or take over from you EXCEPT when you aren't paying attention and are about to DRIFT OUT of your lane.

Unlike the cruise control, it is not a comfort and convenience feature, it is a safety feature.

Which doesn't mean I don't try and use it as such too. Just have to remember to apply a little pressure ti the wheel every 10-15 seconds :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by paradyne:
garberfc (02-20-2020), Ycore (02-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Lane assist