Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Michelin or Continental

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin or Continental

Trying to get all season tires but can't decide between Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06.
Got the Cavo wheels 19". Is there any better choice other than the two?
Old 09-29-2018, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Location?

Currently running PS A/S 3+ and like them a lot, but I run a dedicated winter setup.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both (on SAAB 9-3s). My opinion is the Michelin PS A/S 3+ for performance, especially dry, but also wet. No snow driving recently in Arizona.
I had the DWS 06 probably 5-6 years ago. Ran good in wet, supposed to be good in snow. I seem to recall they got noisy at some point.
I suggest reading Tire Rack road tests and even customer reviews.
But if you get more than a few inches of snow a year I too suggest snow tires on a separate set of wheels, -1 setup (18 inch)
Old 09-29-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Depends where you are located...you can't go wrong with either if you do not intend to use dedicated snow tires.

Both achieved good marks by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack testing....not gospels, but perhaps the most objective. Updated Consumer Report test in this months issue, which just hit the stands. So, if interested in a tire other than one of these, start with those sources.

There are plenty of anecdotals regarding both tire in this forum. I have had and currently have the DWS 06 on 19", and predecessor DWS - does a decent job in snowy, icy Cleveland weather. Have run Michelins (but not this newer model), but they were all lousy when near icy (actually, only a dedicated winter tire is good for ice)...some of the independent tire shops in my area will sway people away from the Michelins for this reason. (this anecdotal re icy handling is contrary to objective reports, so go figure.)

My two cents.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

All season tires are never an even close approximation of dedicated winter tires. They stay "soft" at freezing temps, have a more aggressive tread and hydrophyllic compounds in the rubber.

If one lives in the snow belt and are going to keep a car for 4-6 years get snow tires and -1 wheels.

Since you are not using your other 3 season tires when using the snow tires the only real expense is an extra set of wheels. Hunt for some older version OEM alloys that fit

when I lived in Chicago and Indiana I had snow tires from early '70s thru 2008

Last edited by Wildcat UA; 09-29-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Just for my basic education having never lived in a snowy environment, can you explain what you mean by "get snow tires and -1 wheels"?
Old 09-29-2018, 05:49 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,404 Posts

If you have 19” wheels for your Summer tires go with an 18” wheel for your snow tires. At least that’s my plan.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

-1 means if your standard wheel is 19" you go with a 18" wheel with a narrower tire that maintains the same overall diameter within 2-3%.

https://tiresize.com/chart/

Going with a narrower tire limits "snowplowing" and puts more weight per square inch on the contact patch. Snowplowing is the buildup of snow in front of a tire, a narrow tire allows less buildup of snow
The following users liked this post:
CKinLA (08-09-2022)
Old 09-29-2018, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks @Nikon1 and @Wildcat_USA for the primer.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcat UA
-1 means if your standard wheel is 19" you go with a 18" wheel with a narrower tire that maintains the same overall diameter within 2-3%.

https://tiresize.com/chart/

Going with a narrower tire limits "snowplowing" and puts more weight per square inch on the contact patch. Snowplowing is the buildup of snow in front of a tire, a narrow tire allows less buildup of snow
+1 on the -1. A smaller wheel means a taller sidewall which will better protect against pothole damage as well.

Not sure the size of the contact patch changes, or the amount of weight per square inch, that's going to be determined by the air pressure in your tires, not the width of the tread. Tread width will however impact the SHAPE of the contact patch with a narrow tread creating a narrower but longer contact patch. And that will help prevent the snowplowing like you said.

Quick Reply: Michelin or Continental