Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Michelin or Continental

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak

The SHAPE of the contact area can make a difference however, long and narrow vs short and wide will change the way friction is generated in different directions, or in the case of snow and rain, how easily hydroplaning might occur.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/contact-patch
OK, then I should have said the shape of the contact area matters, I am not an engineer, haha. And I have experienced the difference, which is hard to do in an airplane.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Conti DWS on my Porsche Cayman as winter tires for an occasional trip it SE Nevada (Lincoln County) to visit my father. For those unfamiliar, the letters DWS are embossed into the tire tread, with each letter at varying depths. When the tread is warn away too much for snow conditions, the “S” disappears. Further wear makes the “W” disappear and wet usage is not recommended. The rubber is still good for cold winter temps, but it would lack tread depth for snow/rain when the S/W is gone. That’s the theory...

i was alarmed to see how quickly the “S” disappeared, meaning Conti felt remaining tread depth was not appropriate for snow conditions. This was with no aggressive driving (have a Michelin PSS wheelset for summer). Using the Conti DWS with my S5 SB is a non-starter as we have a Tahoe cabin and make much more frequent trips there; I’d be replacing the tires annually!
Old 09-30-2018, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record, I put DWS06s on my car at approximately 450 miles on the odo, when I bought my wheels. Just took them in for my 1 year service actually on my 1 year anniversary (at 8300 mi) and the dealer put them at 9/32" tread depth. I don't believe the snow markings disappear until 8/32" (at most), so YMMV on how long you have adequate snow traction.

Also keep in mind that any other AS tire will have similar characteristics - losing snow/ice traction after tread depth diminishes - but simply don't show it. Don't be fooled that DWS tires lose winter traction quicker than the competition.

Last edited by Neon01; 09-30-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Neon01
For the record, I put DWS06s on my car at approximately 450 miles on the odo, when I bought my wheels. Just took them in for my 1 year service actually on my 1 year anniversary (at 8300 mi) and the dealer put them at 9/32" tread depth. I don't believe the snow markings disappear until 8/32" (at most), so YMMV on how long you have adequate snow traction.

Also keep in mind that any other AS tire will have similar characteristics - losing snow/ice traction after tread depth diminishes - but simply don't show it. Don't be fooled that DWS tires lose winter traction quicker than the competition.
To tag onto this, they are decent on the snow while adequate tread depth is there, but when that "S" is gone they take a turn (or lack thereof) for the worse. I only ever got one year of snow driving out of those tires.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm using the A/S 3+ on my S7 in New England year round. In the warm weather they are just as good off the track as the OEM Continentals. They are fine in the snow but not as good as dedicated snow tires. I just can't be bothered changing tires/wheels twice a year, so the compromise of the all seasons works best for me.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 19hole
I'm using the A/S 3+ on my S7 in New England year round. In the warm weather they are just as good off the track as the OEM Continentals. They are fine in the snow but not as good as dedicated snow tires. I just can't be bothered changing tires/wheels twice a year, so the compromise of the all seasons works best for me.
+1....AGREED!
Old 10-01-2018, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
Not according to the people who know more about this that us.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/com...ontactarea.pdf[left]

Sure, they are talking aircraft tires here, but the physics is essentially the same. It's the same principle as displacement in water. As the tire is lowered to the ground the contact area will expand until an equilibrium is reached between the weight pressing down on the tire and the air pressure inside the tire pushing back. So a tire inflated to 34 pounds per square inch will support 34 pounds per square inch of surface area (approximately). If the downward load on the tire is 1000 pounds, then the contact area is about 29.5 square inches. It doesn't matter how tall the tire is, how short the sidewalls are or how wide the tire is. The primary determining factor is the air pressure in the tire.

The SHAPE of the contact area can make a difference however, long and narrow vs short and wide will change the way friction is generated in different directions, or in the case of snow and rain, how easily hydroplaning might occur.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/contact-patch
This is incredibly interesting, I didn't know there was such a simple equation to calculate contact patch. Saving this!
Quality post, nj.