Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

MyAudi iPhone App - Wants me to Link-Vehicle ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Venting about Audi electronics, MMI, online accounts

Originally Posted by jtdbsr
The myAudi app stopped updating vehicle status beginning of February and have been dealing with Audi to resolve. While troubleshooting, I was asked to reset the MMI to factory settings and could not log back in using the myAudi account since. A few days ago the app started working again, however, the link vehicle message is there. When asked Audi, this was their response:

"For your model year, regrettably this login is not possible. We are working on a fix for this technology and expect it to be available by the end of quarter 2 of 2022. ."

I have a 2021 and was logged in until this debacle. I have a theory that perhaps very few people sign up after the trial and Audi looks at it as if it works, it works. If not, oh well.
Originally Posted by Nikon1
I completely subscribe to your theory of Audi’s attitude about their telematics shortcomings. Audi promised a new download site for the Nav Map updates almost 2 years ago, with a date of 2nd Quarter 2020. As far as I know, they have not met the promise almost 2 years in. I’m not sure where the blame should be pointed, Audi Corporate or Audi of America, but there’s enough to spread across both entities. I still like their Mechanical Automotive Technology but their electronics tech is stuck back in the ‘90s.

— John
I’ve owned my A5 for a little over a year now. My experience is that it feels like I’m beta testing all of the electronics, infotainment, myAudi app, myAudi website and Audi Financial Services website. It’s so close, but something is always off, or temporarily (sometimes weeks) not functioning. And fixes (or maybe just “we’ll look at that”) are promised, but then don’t happen, at least not yet. It all feels like it’s not ready for “prime-time.”

I looked at my “myAudi” account online page a couple of days ago—it says my next loan payment is due. Nope, it’s not—paid in full months ago. Don’t get me started on the awful 3g turndown mess (didn’t affect my A5, but we all know we’re next).

This is one reason we decided not to buy a Q7 for my wife. I don’t want to her to have to mess with systems that are “buggy”—and they all feel buggy. Maybe not every day, but frequently enough that I’m not surprised any more. And I don’t want that for her, especially at a higher price than others she likes, and a lot more than I paid for my A5. So we put a deposit down on a different brand last week for her. Expected delivery is by end of April.

Audi lost a sale and a repeat customer for a more expensive vehicle. In a sense, they failed the beta. But I wonder if they care about these reasons.

Last edited by 2DaLab; 03-12-2022 at 09:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 2DaLab

1. I’ve owned my A5 for a little over a year now. My experience is that it feels like I’m beta testing all of the electronics, infotainment, myAudi app, myAudi website and Audi Financial Services website. It’s so close, but something is always off, or temporarily (sometimes weeks) not functioning. And fixes (or maybe just “we’ll look at that”) are promised, but then don’t happen, at least not yet. It all feels like it’s not ready for “prime-time.”

2. I looked at my “myAudi” account online page a couple of days ago—it says my next loan payment is due. Nope, it’s not—paid in full months ago. Don’t get me started on the awful 3g turndown mess (didn’t affect my A5, but we all know we’re next).

3. This is one reason we decided not to buy a Q7 for my wife. I don’t want to her to have to mess with systems that are “buggy”—and they all feel buggy. Maybe not every day, but frequently enough that I’m not surprised any more. And I don’t want that for her, especially at a higher price than others she likes, and a lot more than I paid for my A5. So we put a deposit down on a different brand last week for her. Expected delivery is by end of April.
1. Well, MIB-3 is still rather new. While I did start this thread, I didn't do it because it bothered-me or stressed-me-out. Everything is still working fine for me with the car, myAudi App, etc. It served it's purpose as some others said it happened to theirs as well, so not really a problem on my end. I still love my A5 . It's the coolest car I've ever owned.

Many car-companies faired did much worse than Audi on the 3G-thing. 4G is expected to last for at least another decade, and possibly longer with the help of Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS), which shares available spectrum between 4G LTE and 5G devices. DSS provides improved coverage for 5G devices and greater longevity for 4G LTE devices.

2. Yeah, some of the wording is strange (especially if you are trying to make each monthly payment manually). We are not much on companies auto-drafting our Bank-Accounts either. But we just went ahead and setup Auto-Pay for both Audi vehicles. If you can't trust Audi Financial, who can you trust? Let me tell you ... it's great and so glad we did it. Audi is still the only one we have setup this way. We do something similar with all other monthly payments, but that is just setup and the bank.

3. What did you get her? Not sure why, but if you don't want to say public, maybe you could PM me. Reason I ask is her lease is almost up and we need to find her another one (preferably another Hybrid).

Our only experience with Premium brands is Acura and Audi. I can tell you that as far as the Tech in the cars, in their Clouds, the phone Apps, and their website's ... Audi is miles ahead of Acura . Did you know you can't even use the Acura phone-app without a paid subscription? Compared to Audi, I think only thing Acura is better at is the bundled Safety-Tech (and it's included in all trims, even low ones).

Old 03-12-2022, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
1. Well, MIB-3 is still rather new. While I did start this thread, I didn't do it because it bothered-me or stressed-me-out. Everything is still working fine for me with the car, myAudi App, etc. It served it's purpose as some others said it happened to theirs as well, so not really a problem on my end. I still love my A5 . It's the coolest car I've ever owned.
As you, I like my A5. If I had to buy a new car today, I'd try to find a new A5 and maybe upgrade to prestige. Maybe even an S5.

It's just annoying to me that things sometimes don't work: the expanded SiriusXM channels disappear temporarily, the myAudi app says Audi connect services aren't connected to the vehicle (even though it looks to me like they're functioning), the MMI CarPlay screen goes black and has to be rebooted, my account keeps forgetting my preferred service dealer, etc. First world problems.

But the first rule of driving a car is "drive the car." And this car makes the drive a pleasure. No regrets there!

Many car-companies faired did much worse than Audi on the 3G-thing. 4G is expected to last for at least another decade, and possibly longer with the help of Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS), which shares available spectrum between 4G LTE and 5G devices. DSS provides improved coverage for 5G devices and greater longevity for 4G LTE devices.
That's good to know! But the lack of planning on their part makes me a little concerned, since this was evidently not a surprise to anyone with knowledge of this field. (I'm not in this field at all.)
2. Yeah, some of the wording is strange (especially if you are trying to make each monthly payment manually). We are not much on companies auto-drafting our Bank-Accounts either. But we just went ahead and setup Auto-Pay for both Audi vehicles. If you can't trust Audi Financial, who can you trust? Let me tell you ... it's great and so glad we did it. Audi is still the only one we have setup this way. We do something similar with all other monthly payments, but that is just setup and the bank.
I also had the autodraft set up for my AFS loan. But the website (the only place to get my monthly statement) was non-functional at times. For one payment, they made it sound like they weren't going to process the next autodraft on time--the website didn't show it, and they were unable to confirm it with me by phone. It went through as it was supposed to, but it made me uncomfortable that they didn't know what was gong on. The loan was a convenience and not a necessity for me, so I paid the thing off.

3. What did you get her? Not sure why, but if you don't want to say public, maybe you could PM me. Reason I ask is her lease is almost up and we need to find her another one (preferably another Hybrid).

Our only experience with Premium brands is Acura and Audi. I can tell you that as far as the Tech in the cars, in their Clouds, the phone Apps, and their website's ... Audi is miles ahead of Acura . Did you know you can't even use the Acura phone-app without a paid subscription? Compared to Audi, I think only thing Acura is better at is the bundled Safety-Tech (and it's included in all trims, even low ones).
For her, we're getting a 2022 Infiniti QX60 Sensory model (the top of the line is the Autograph model--this is the one just below it, but we want a bench seat in the middle instead of the captain's chairs that come in the Autograph). She's currently driving a 2013 Infiniti JX35 (which rebranded as QX60 in 2014), and this is the next major upgrade of that series. She's looking forward to the safety tech--blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, collision avoidance--they have different names and will function a bit differently in Infiniti than in my A5, but she's seen the benefit of it.

(Sorry, no hybrid in the Infiniti. Interestingly, if I recall correctly, around 2015 Infiniti said that all of their vehicles would be at least partly electric by 2020. That got dropped sometime in the last few years.)

Her next choice would be the Genesis GV80 (also a new model this year)--just a few things about the configuration (poor driver door storage, no iPhone app, no wireless CarPlay for Genesis) swayed her to the Infiniti over the Genesis, plus we have a great Infiniti dealer service department we trust. A few things she/we didn't like about Lexus and Acura (I don't recall what at the moment), so they didn't make it to the final choices.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2DaLab
1. If I had to buy a new car today,

2. It's just annoying to me that things sometimes don't work: the expanded SiriusXM channels disappear temporarily, the myAudi app says Audi connect services aren't connected to the vehicle (even though it looks to me like they're functioning), the MMI CarPlay screen goes black and has to be rebooted,

3. my account keeps forgetting my preferred service dealer, etc. First world problems.

4. For her, we're getting a 2022 Infiniti QX60 Sensory model ... plus we have a great Infiniti dealer service department we trust.

will function a bit differently in Infiniti than in my A5, but she's seen the benefit of it.

(Sorry, no hybrid in the Infiniti.)
1. I hoping we will see a A5 PHEV soon (high HP when both motors engaged).
2. I don't use paid-XM (just free through Car-Play). No problems with Car-Play here. myAudi App seems to work fine (except for the erroneous Link message).
3. Yes, same here. Luckily we know where to go for service.

Makes sense you are sticking with Infiniti then. Japanese Premium is good. I saw the 2023 Nissan Z-coupe is almost here finally.

We tried to stay with Acura, but
a. For her, they make no RDX-Hybrid 5-seater (plus RDX is a bit stripped-down inside compared to the MDX). Her Q5-e is very fast and still gets 75mpg.
b. For me, I didn't think the 2021-TLX lived-up to the hype, so I got the A5 instead.

Yeah all the safety stuff, surround view, and ventilated seats seem silly. Until you get them on a vehicle. Then you want need them on ALL FUTURE vehicles.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 03-13-2022 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Just updated the myAudi app on my iPhone.....still shows the "Link Vehicle" message - also, it is now telling me "Vehicle is not parked safely" !!! My car is parked in the garage as usual, so not sure what that message is trying to tell me...it seems to have replaced the "doors unlocked" message so maybe that is what it means

They added a new gallery section which shows pics of my car (same pics you see when you click the pic of your car at the top of the screen)
Old 03-24-2022, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So beginning of February the myAudi app stopped updating vehicle status and while troubleshooting with Audi, they have asked me to reset the MMI to factory defaults. As a result, could not sign back in until late last week when I decided to create a new account and have that verified by the dealer. After 2 days I was able to sign in, the myAudi app was updating status and the Link Vehicle header in the app magically disappeared. BTW, Audi told me there is a 2 month long backlog for account resets. Let that sink in...

The best part? I lost a month and a half of my free trial and Audi said "key user issue, cannot credit partial trial." Exact words.Between this and the rattles I've been fighting, I don't think I can justify another Audi after a dozen or so cars going back to the early 90s. I have ~6' left out of a 25' felt tape roll. Basically stripped the interior to remediate the noises: Both door panels, both quarter panel trims, B pillar trim on both sides(seat belt height adjuster) center console, seat backrest panels, center vent on dash and the MMI which is still buzzing and rattling. Working on a write up as I have some solid clues where and how to apply cloth and felt tape.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 501 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by u080570
Just updated the myAudi app on my iPhone.....still shows the "Link Vehicle" message - also, it is now telling me "Vehicle is not parked safely" !!! My car is parked in the garage as usual, so not sure what that message is trying to tell me...it seems to have replaced the "doors unlocked" message so maybe that is what it means...
If your car is not linked, the myAudi app won't work correctly. Have you done the steps in post #25 to link your vehicle?
Old 03-25-2022, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan99
If your car is not linked, the myAudi app won't work correctly. Have you done the steps in post #25 to link your vehicle?
The car is linked fine - everything works - it's just the warning message comes and goes in the app....it's something behind the scenes with Audi's servers...
Old 03-30-2022, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by u080570
The car is linked fine - everything works - it's just the warning message comes and goes in the app....it's something behind the scenes with Audi's servers...
Agreed. Back in the thread, I posted some screen-shots of the mismatching I noticed.

However, with reports like yours and others here, I've decided to just live with the message for now since everything is working. Last thing I want to do is un-link the Key-User and then not be able to relink with my existing myAudi Account.

Mine still says status like Locked or Unlocked but I think they are messing-with that code because her Q5-e said "Unlocked" from it's last status-update and I really doubt it ever was.