Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Rainex or similar for rear window on SB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rainex or similar for rear window on SB?

So, love the fact that rear window isn't cluttered by a windshield wiper, but of source would be nice to keep it clean!

I'm reluctant to put RainEx (or similar) on front windshield because of how wiper blades tend to mess it up over time. But the rear window seems tailor made for some treatment!

Anyone using anything? Any recommendations on what to use?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

that rustoleum super hydrophobic coating, they make a variant for car windows.

haven't tried it yet.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Chapman
So, love the fact that rear window isn't cluttered by a windshield wiper, but of source would be nice to keep it clean!

I'm reluctant to put RainEx (or similar) on front windshield because of how wiper blades tend to mess it up over time. But the rear window seems tailor made for some treatment!

Anyone using anything? Any recommendations on what to use?

Thanks in advance!
I've made this same "observation" (borderline complaint) in other threads as well ... I like the aesthetics of no wiper, but that glass needs something. It's at just the right angle that water sits, and even at speed the aerodynamics of the car don't produce a built-in wiper. Being in the PNW too, it's a daily annoyance.

From my experience, there isn't any one product that solves the problem. My glass has Ceramic Pro coating -- which is 1000x better than RainX or other off-the-shelf products -- and yet water beads still just sit on the glass. It's better, because there's no sheeting (as there was prior to CP), but the beads don't actively run off ... the glass is at just the right angle to hold it.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use RainX on all windows and rear windshield, feels 100x better compared to no coating. Visibility is still low at low speeds though.
Applied on front windshield and regretted!!!
Old 12-05-2017, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing more than Jax Wax Hawaiian Shine Spray Wax after every wash. Works very well and do not need to worry about overspray or harsh chemicals.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

I use Rain-X on both the windscreen and the rear window of my S7. I can't say that I have seen any negative effects from using it on the windscreen.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 531 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by 19hole
I use Rain-X on both the windscreen and the rear window of my S7. I can't say that I have seen any negative effects from using it on the windscreen.
It flares bright lights (on-coming vehicles), in precisely the conditions you need maximum visibility, such as at night in rain. Not just drivers' eyes, but can affect the efficacy of the camera mounted behind the rear view mirror. You don't list your location, but if you have Matrix lights, this flaring can affect their operation, and may have a similar affect on low speed autonomous braking systems (as used in Audi City). The B9 user manuals specifically warn not to use these type of products on windscreens.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I apply opticoat to the windshield and it works wonders. Lasts a very long time too. I probably apply it once every 6 months (was my experience on my previous car).
Old 12-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use Rain-X on all of my cars, motorcycle helmet and windscreen of my helicopters. The initial applications take more work, but once a solid coating is established correctly, I only need to reapply twice a year. I use the concentrate on the initial application after I have thoroughly scrubbed the windscreen with ammonia free glass cleaner followed by a 20% alcohol to water mix. Then i apply four coats of Rain-X on all the glass. The haze (which produces the flaring or "halo" of on coming cars at night) is the only trouble, but if parked in the shade, two hours after application, I take a micro fiber cloth on a buffing wheel to the glass. Buffing the haze off properly eliminates all issues at night. I also use the Rain-X windscreen washer fluid to extend the life of the initial application. The treatment results are best noticed at night. I get no headlight haze or issues and night driving in the rain is a complete non-issue. Many times, I don't even use the wipers.

The real trouble is the lack of airflow over the rear window to move the water and dust from the surface. As the air moves across the roof of the car, there needs to be a device to direct air across the surface. These devices tend to be rather unsightly on sedans, so we live with it and stop often to get gas and wash the window off. I'm extremely type "A", so i have an all in one spray bottle with sponge and squeegee in my trunk. It is filled with the Rain-X windshield washer.

These are my results, but again...I'm extremely type "A".